FOOD FOR SINUS?

Options
I think im having sinus headaches, other than tea does anyone know a natural herb or food that will help get rid of these sinus headaches for good? they are messing up energy levels!

Replies

• mom2dms
    mom2dms Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    wasabe (sp??)
  • monylove311
    monylove311 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Not really, but I started using Sinus Wars and they work really well. Also, I drink a glass of lemon water in the am. Avoid milk and such. Also you can get a neti like pot from walgreens and it works well too, but always makes me sneeze after. : )

good luck.
  • kdom316
    kdom316 Posts: 10
    Options
    Stay away from dairy- It will make it worse
  • marsellient
    marsellient Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Sinus headaches are horrible! I don't know about foods, but you might want to try sinus irrigation, like a neti pot or neilmed sinus irrigation saline system. Another thing you can do is steam a couple of times a day. If it's allergy related some people do believe consuming local honey helps.
  • tazzzydevl
    tazzzydevl Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Try putting an ice pack over your nose and eyes.. I have a killer one myself right now ..
  • punkypants
    Options
    im gonna try the netti pot thing, ive always been afraid to try that. i have no idea what started it, i have had them since day two of the diet which was a little over a week ago.
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Not sure... still trying to figure this one out myself.

Some of the things that sometimes help:
    Red pepper, cayenne, or other spicy food.
    A hot washcloth over where it hurts most... cheekbones and/or eyebrows.
    Mint tea... and hold the warmth in your mouth.
    There are also pressure points... under your eyebrows in a bit from the top of the arch or on the cheekbones under the inner corner of your eyes or above your temples. Pressing and releasing repeatedly can help.

Good luck finding something that works for you!
  • jevoyager
    jevoyager Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Hmm, I have sinus problems myself, but resort to advil for swelling and allergy meds to try to keep that under control too. Spicy food might help?

Be careful with things like netti pots, I would recommend using bottled distilled water, and not tap water as there have been some reported instances of people getting ill from using tap water contaminated with microorganisms (typically this isn't the case, most public water is fine, but why take the chance?) Also for the same reason, make sure the netti pot is thoroughly cleaned between uses and dried out so no bacteria or anything can grow in it.
  • Chainie
    Chainie Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    It's turmeric. The root is better than the prepackaged powder. And the heat and inhale method is better than making a drink.

And if i may be so bold, you may want to swap your dairy eg. Instead of milk use almond milk until you recover. And I probably not have to tell you this on mfp but stay away from high sugar like coke until better. Lots of sugar can affect your sinus. Best wishes xx.
  • ebelliss
    ebelliss Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    i swear by my neti pot!! i've had sinus issues for years, and using a neti pot has really helped to clear things up and relieve the pain. i like to use distilled water instead of tap water, and it feels really strange the first couple times you do it, but you get used to it and it really works!!
  • hsmaldo
    hsmaldo Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I also recommend the nasal rinse, except, I use the NeilMed instead of the netti pot. Same idea. And definitely use distilled water.

Hope you feel better soon!
  • LauraFan78
    Options
    I've tried the neti pot and it doesn't help with my headaches, but it does keep me clear-ish if I'm really stuffy. When I'm really bad it will sometimes even burn. You can use salt water, or if that seems to make you too dry just use plain water. I've heard using distilled water is better too, just becuase it's cleaner.

I get sinus headaches which will turn into migraines on a pretty regular basis. Advil sinus & congestion works wonders for me. I tried just using Advil by itself the other day and I think it helped as well. I've heard that much of the pain can be due to inflamation, so using allergy medicine and most sinus medicines will not help much since they don't address that problem. I haven't found anything to take the pain away diet-wise, and can only suggest avoiding dairy because it promotes mucus. My doctor recommended taking some kind of allergy medicine (pill or spray) daily which will help to reduce chances of sinus headaches. Apparently sinus problems are related to allergy problems, a new fact I learned last time I was at the doctor for my headaches. Figure out your triggers (perhaps an allergy test is in order) and by reducing those you may be able to reduce the number and severity of headaches.

Good luck! I feel your pain!! :)
  • LauraFan78
    Options
    What are sinus wars?
  • LauraFan78
    Options
    Not really, but I started using Sinus Wars and they work really well. Also, I drink a glass of lemon water in the am. Avoid milk and such. Also you can get a neti like pot from walgreens and it works well too, but always makes me sneeze after. : )

good luck.

What are sinus wars?
  • justjenn1977
    justjenn1977 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I think im having sinus headaches, other than tea does anyone know a natural herb or food that will help get rid of these sinus headaches for good? they are messing up energy levels!

I use a neti pot (actually the neilmed bottle) with soln I buy at whole foods... I use it at the beginning of "sinus season"twice a day for a week or two... Then daily for a week or two...then a couple times a week for a week or two... Then as needed until sinus season is over... For me that's spring and winter...

When I'm developing a sinus infection I use a couple drops of tea tree oil in it...

As for foods... Spicy.. I drink cayenne in my chai tea when my sinuses get bad... I've had three sinus surgeries due to recurring infection (they would last four to eight months and I had at least one a year for thirty years)... Since I started the bottle with tea tree oil... I've not had an infection infour years..
  • justjenn1977
    justjenn1977 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Stay away from dairy- It will make it worse

This is usually only true when a person has a dairy sensitivity... Other things make it worse for different people...

But you could try eliminating foods if you think your sinus issues are due to allergy
  • punkypants
    Options
    thanks this helps
  • punkypants
    Options
    love this idea, i heard that root is good for ALOT of things!
  • gauchogirl
    gauchogirl Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Not sure if you eat dairy, I always did and always had sinus issues. When I cut dairy out (not because of sinus, I didn't know they were related) it went away. If I "cheat" and eat dairy, the next day, sinus issues, up to and including migraines.
  • DeannaPaige1
    DeannaPaige1 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I don't know any foods that can help but I do know a Sinus irrigation system will work. I bought one last year due to horrible sinus headaches several times a month. I found mine on Amazon.com. It works best If you use It daily to prevent your sinuses from becoming clogged, It helps a little bit If you use it during the headache. Check It out :) Hope this helps! Sinus pressure sucks!