More exercise = less sleep needed?

I have ramped up the exercise this month ( thanks Runners miles challenge!) so I am doing at least 7.5 hours exercise a week ( one rest day per week). For some reason, I have found I need less sleep, from around 8 hours to 5.5 or 6. I am waking around 5am feeling ready to get up and run.

What is going on? Am I just weird or is this exercise related as I think it is? How much do other reasonably fit people sleep?

Replies

• postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    I sleep less hours, but I sleep BETTER. Interesting stuff :)
  • gpstrucker
    gpstrucker Posts: 930 Member
    I'm sleeping the same number of hours but find that sleep to be far more restful.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    You need to sleep more. If you are sleeping less then it will eventually catch up with you as you are shorting yourself on recovery.

The primary recovery time from hard exercise is when you are seeping.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    You need to sleep more. If you are sleeping less then it will eventually catch up with you as you are shorting yoursel on recovery.

The primary recovery time from hard exercise is when you are seeping.

^THIS!!!

Now getting as much sleep as you used to is a sign of over training. I would actually suggest cutting back a bit (20%) and getting as much sleep as you used to. Once you've got it back, then start bumping up your duration of exercise by 10% each week, but no more.

If you want more info on it, Google is your friend.
  • gdmanley
    gdmanley Posts: 17 Member
    Current research indicates that those who sleep the recommended and needed amount for adults (8-9 hrs.) lose and keep weight off more effectively. Your body is also much more prepared for attacks from viruses and bugs because all parts are rested and ready. Neuroscientists believe that those "superhumans" who only need 3-4 hours of sleep per day will eventually pay for the deprivation with shorter lives and less sturdy body's and mind's in older age.
  • My .02. Listen to your body!
    The most important thing you can do to recovery quickly is to listen to your body. If you are feeling tired, sore or notice decreased performance you may need more recovery time or a break from training altogether. If you are feeling strong the day after a hard workout, you don't have to force yourself to go slow. If you pay attention, in most cases, your body will let you know what it needs, when it needs it.