Strength training for women

Options
I know of the vast healthy and weight loss benefits to strength training but I can't find a good program to help me start! I already do C25k 3 days a week and the insanity or 30DS 2 days a week, I can tell I am toning and loosing some weight but I still can't shake the feeling that I should make do some actual weigjt lifting too.

Any girls out there willing to share their strength training plan?

Replies

• kittyr77
    kittyr77 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • marypatmccue
    marypatmccue Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Why do girls need to train differently than a guy? :) SL 5x5, yo.
    I know of the vast healthy and weight loss benefits to strength training but I can't find a good program to help me start! I already do C25k 3 days a week and the insanity or 30DS 2 days a week, I can tell I am toning and loosing some weight but I still can't shake the feeling that I should make do some actual weigjt lifting too.

Any girls out there willing to share their strength training plan?
  • jamk1446
    jamk1446 Posts: 5,577 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts 5 x 5 or New Rules of Lifting for Women are good places to start. There are support groups for both here.
  • 78Octane
    78Octane Posts: 68
    Options
    I'm not a woman, so don't get mad at me for posting ; ) but I recommend body weight exercises for starters. Pushups, pullups, chinups, squats, lunges, crunches, etc. They are not as fun as lifting actual weights, but I think they are essential for full body development.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    starting strength or stronglifts
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I do whatever my trainer comes up with.. and today that was heavy compound barbell movements.

I've also done things like bodyweight exercises and dumbbell exercises.. sometimes I throw in machines, but not often.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    I'm using the routines in Jackie Warner's book right now (3 months, a different circuit each month). When I finish at the end of the month I'm starting New Rules. My mom's getting me a 40 lb dumbbell set as an early b'day present, so I'm pretty psyched! I still have a lot of fat to lose, but my biceps are definitely bigger and I'm much stronger in general. I forget to measure myself, though. I know I won't gain a whole lot of muscle while I'm eating at a deficit, but I'm loving it so far!
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts 5 x 5 or New Rules of Lifting for Women are good places to start. There are support groups for both here.

yep yep good stuff here
  • candyschmoll
    candyschmoll Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Chalene Extreme CD's are awesome if you have dumbells at home. You can work yourself up at your pace and the workouts are between 35 and 45 minutes and work total body. And she talks you through technique and having worked with trainers, she knows what she is talking about. You can order from the Beach Body website.
  • liftingheavy
    liftingheavy Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I do all of the routines in New Rules of Lifting for women. As heavy as I can stand to do 3 sets of 8-10 reps. Made ALL of the difference in the world for my body. After I hit my goal weight I was not happy with the jiggle, and lifting weights really burned the fat.

I wear a HRM and the % of body fat burned when lifting vs. cardio is double. I still do cardio because I like it, but incorporating heavy lifting was key for me.
  • beautybandit1
    Options
    New Rules for Women is where it's at!
  • LadySconce
    Options
    I picked my least favorite body parts. Shoulders, back, butt. Then I picked just three days a week to train those! Pick up a magazine, ask girls at the gym, people are DYING to share their tips. I can't teach you online, you have to do it and feel it and talk. Feel what works and what doesn't. Everyone's form is a little different, don't hurt yourself, try something that looks goofy!

Have fun!!! Lifting is my favorite, I am addicted. I love being strong. DO THIS!!! =)
  • LadySconce
    Options
    Totally! That book is awesome.
  • lalonmeg000
    lalonmeg000 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Okay thanks every one! I will get that book for sure then.