Half marathon training

Options
Sweettart
Sweettart Posts: 1,331 Member
My first half marathon is only 7 weeks away and I want to concerntrate on running more. How many times a week do you suggest?

Replies

• absoluttif1
    absoluttif1 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    When I did the Disney Princess Half this year, I followed the Galloway training plan. You run 3 times per week - 2 short (30 minutes), and 1 long run. Good luck!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    You should be running 3 to 4 times per week and one of your runs should be a long slow distance (LSD) - that's the one that builds endurance.

Are you following a training plan? How far & how frequently are you running now?
  • kacarter1017
    kacarter1017 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I followed the Green Bay 1/2 marathon training program and it worked really well! I tried to find the link, but you now have to sign in to get to it and I didn't run the Green Bay. So, here is the training plan for the last 7 weeks: Week 1: 5,6,8 and 30 minutes cross training Week 2: 4,7,9.5 and 30 minutes CT, Week 3: 4,7,11 and 30 min CT, Week 4: 5,7,8 and 30 min CT, Week 5: 4,3,6.5 and 30 min CT, and Week 7, 6 and 2 with 30 min CT. Then the big day! Have fun- it was SO worth it!
  • Sweettart
    Options
    Im following a toronto womens half training schedule to finish in 2hrs 15 mins to 2hrs 30mins and you run 3 times a week 2 shorter runs and 1 long.

Found it to finish in 2hrs to 2 15 and you run 4 days a week
  • tessakwebb
    Options
    I'm training for my first half (the Akron marathon) right now with seven weeks left to go as well! I've been running at least thirty minutes (around 3ish miles) Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays, and then cross training or walking on Wednesdays, Fridays and Sundays. Then on Saturdays I do my long run (this week I ran 8.5 miles with 2 minute walk breaks every 20 minutes, this Saturday I'll be running 8.5 miles with three walk breaks, and then basically the mileage increases and breaks decrease until you peak at 12 miles. The long run the week before the race only run 6 miles.)

Good luck with your training and happy running! :)
  • Joysign8
    Joysign8 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the Detroit Free Press Half Marathon on October 21st. I started out using the Galloway half marathon training guide and then my daughter gave me one that is a walk/run which I am now following. I have done two 5K's and two 10K this season already and am very excited to do the half marathon. I'm doing this to show others that even with having Rheumatoid Arthritis anything is possible. I was never able to run in my younger years and now in my mid fifties I'm doing it. It may not be fast and it may not be far,but I"m doing it!!!! My motto is "Run,Walk, Crawl,FINISH and that's just what I'm going to do!!!
  • Suz_w8loss
    Suz_w8loss Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Training for my first half as well. My longest run was 7 miles & it was tough. The heat/humidity is really messing up my training schedule.
    I am doing 3 short runs on Monday, Wednesday & Thursday (each run varies from 3-5 miles each). Friday is my rest day & my long runs are on Saturdays.
    On Sundays I do some other kind of cardio or DVD workout
  • Sweettart
    Options
    So far my longest has been 8 miles. This sat is 10miles
  • annecolorgreen
    annecolorgreen Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    you are definitely on track! just keep up what you are doing. good luck with your half marathon...where is it? I'm doing two--Milwaukee and Savannah.
  • Sweettart
    Options
    Amherstburg ont
  • hungrymarathongirl
    hungrymarathongirl Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I have used this free app for my last couple of half marathons and am using it for a full marathon that I am training for in Oct. It's free from itunes. Its probably on the android market as well. It's Runner's World Smart Coach. Good luck!
  • dixiech1ck
    dixiech1ck Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Good luck! I'm also running my first half in Sept (then my 2nd in October and 3rd in November... I know, I'm CRAZY!)

I've been following a Hal Higdeon training plan. I don't think there's much difference in the ones I've research, except the Galloway method allows you to walk if you need to. I've been pushing through the wanting to walk and just running. I ran 9 miles this past weekend.. whoever said the heat and humidity plays with you is so definitely right.
  • Sweettart
    Options
    I know its bad but have done all my training so far on my treadmill. This wknd supposed to cool down so hoping my long run will be outside
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    If you want to maximize your running potential you need to run 6 or 7 days a week and twice a day on most of those days. Total training time during a wek should be 10 to 12 hours.

Obviously it will take longer than 7 weeks to build to that level; probably a couple of years at least. You can also run well on less than that but not as well as you could run with more.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Wow... if you are relatively new to running, I would NOT recommend running "6 or 7 times a week, twice a day on most of those" as in the previous post. That sounds like a recipe for instant injury to me, unless you are already very fit and under professional coaching supervision (in that instance it's probably great, but if you are just aiming to finish your first half and haven't been running for a long time - very risky).

If you are a relatively new runner - you need to be getting some long runs in there to build up strength and endurance in your legs.

Even more importantly, you really need to get off the treadmill and run outside - it is such a different activity, I don't think that treadmill training really prepares you for outside running at all.
    It's a good place to get your fitness level up but if you want to run a LONG race outside - you have to train outside.
    Don't let the weather stop you - I trained all through an Australian summer last year - it just means getting up good and early and running before it's too hot, and making sure you have water with you on your long runs. If you aren't prepared to take a little bit of discomfort in training, I'd question whether you are ready for such a long race outside.

Last year I trained for a half marathon, but didn't manage to run it as I injured my hip flexors a few weeks before the race. I ran 10k and did OK with that, but I just wasn't up to the half. I was running 5 times a week last year and really focusing on increasing my speed as well as my distance. With hindsight, I think it was too much too soon for me - I'm 45 and only started running 18 months ago after a lifetime of inactivity.

This year I have been running 3-4 times a week - usually
    1 x hill run (my race course is pretty hilly) 5 - 6km
    1 x interval run 5 - 6 km
    1 x tempo run 6 - 10 km
    1 x long run (building up gradually from 8km - 20km - this weekend!)

This is roughly based on the marathon rookie guide, adapted into km.

Good luck!
  • Sherylmarlee
    Sherylmarlee Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • sharfisher
    sharfisher Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Ditto Rubybelle. 3-4 times per week will get the job done. Long run is indispensable. I trained up to 14.5 miles before my first half last year, just to make the actual event seem less intimidating. But overdistance training like that is not necessary.

Like Rubybelle I'm a fan of hill training and tempo runs too. :devil: Even if you are not trying to beat any speed records, they really help improve form, strength, and leg turnover. I would never have guessed I could do it but I finished in less than 2 hours!

Good luck sweettart! 10 miles is a huge achievement.
  • DG_Allen
    DG_Allen Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I'm going with the SmartCoach on RunnersWorld.com. It builds a pretty good plan customized to your speed goals, training level and how long before the race.

My plan is 4 runs a week. short, Tempo or speed, short and then long on Saturday.

I do my tempo runs uphill :devil: . That's a workout!

Have fun and good luck!
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    I did a half back in 2003 and over did it running 5 days a week and taking 2 kickboxing classes per week plus yoga here and there. I finished in 2:08:02 but I ended up with such awfully sore IT bands that I didn't run for months after the race.

I'm running another on on Saturday and am aiming for sub-2hr finish. This time I've been running 4 days a week and cross-training 2 days a week with one rest day.

1 long run - sometimes steady, sometimes progressively faster; I've done full race distance twice
    1 speed work (either fartleks, hill sprints or just a hilly route, 7-8km OR a 10km tempo run
    1 easy mid distance run 10-13km
    1 easy shorter run 5-8km

That has worked for me.
  • urbansmamma
    urbansmamma Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Running 6-7 times per week and twice a day is INSANE as a novice half marathoner!!! Do not do this!!! With 7 weeks away it's probably tempting to ramp up, run harder and do more, but dont do this. Take it easy. You want to still do your training, but take breaks when you should. I run 4 times per week which consist of 1- long run, 1- short run, and 2 medium runs. The last thing you want is to burn yourself out with over training and tire your legs and struggle through your half marathon on game day. Or even worse getting an injury and not being able to even do your half marathon. the best advice that I got for my half marathon is:

1. It's 80% mental and 20% skill so even if you've slacked a little on training don't try to play catch up. They say whatever the longest run you've completed you are capable of doubling it. So if you have run 8 miles you are capable of running 16, so again don't try to play catch up, it will only hurt you. Push yourself on game day and be sore then. Don't push yourself before your race. You will REGRET it!!

2. Do taper your training down. It's so important to not have long runs the week before your race. Save your legs!!

3. Don't try to make a certain time. Start slow. Your adrenaline is going to be pumping so skip the music and take it slow. Run your own race. If people pass you in the beginning, let them. Save your energy for the end, have a strong finish and pass all those people who ran too fast in the beginning.

4. Have fun!!! It's the best sense of accomplishment crossing that line and seeing all your hard work pay off!! Beware it's an addictive feeling!! :D