net calories...

can someone please explain the net calories verses remaining calories,, and is it ideal or encouraging to use your calories earned?

Replies

• debrawallin
    debrawallin Posts: 55 Member
    I need to hear this too, it's all a bit confusing to me.
  • jnr2012
    jnr2012 Posts: 33 Member
    bump
  • TropicalFlowerz
    TropicalFlowerz Posts: 1,990 Member
    I JUST STARTED A WEEK AGO,AND I'D LIKE ANSWER TOO!,...DO I EAT MY RECOMMENDED CALS ,...OR EAT A LITTLE LESS,OR EAT SOME OF THE EARNED ONES TOO?????? I JUST WANNA LOOSE WEIGHT,AND GET FIT,HELP???
  • Larisonlj
    Larisonlj Posts: 426 Member
    Your net calories is your total food calories eaten minus workout calories burned. You eat 1500 calories and you exercise 300 then your net is 1200. If your goal is 1300 per day and you ate/ exercised the example I gave, then you still have 100 calories remaining that you could eat, i.e. goal - net = remaining
  • Personally, I really only have the recommended calories regardless of whether or not I have exercised. The net calories are whatever you have physically already eaten for the day, whereas the remaining calories factor in the calories you've burned from exercise...so say I have physically eaten 1,000 calories for my day and exercised burning 100 calories. If I my total recommended number of calories is 1800, my net calories would be 1,000 but my remaining calories would be 900. :wink:
  • jd5351
    jd5351 Posts: 116 Member
    Your calorie goal for the day includes a deficit. So if you were to eat just your calorie goal, you should lose weight. If you exercise, you "earn" more calories while keeping your deficit...

Example...I get 1200 calories a day, but my body burns about 1700 a day. So by eating 1200 calories, I am burning 500 calories more than I took in. If I exercise and burn 200 calories, then I can eat 1400 calories,but I'm still going to burn that extra 500 calories.

Now what gets you into trouble is if you're not properly measuring and counting your calories, and if you're recording inaccurate calories burned.
  • pwhite3
    pwhite3 Posts: 5 Member
    Net calories are the actual amount of calories that you have consumed over the course of the day including the food that you have eaten and the amount of calories burned. So today, I consumed 2066 calories but I also burned 2071 calories, so my net calorie intake for the day is -5. The remaining calories are how many calories you can consume for the rest of the day and remain the same weight with no fluctuation.
  • ok i wanna make sure i understand what i am reading here lol. I have a goal of 1400 calories a day. I burn about 300 from the excercies i do so i stay under my 1400 goal and then i eat some of my "gained" calories. Am i doing this correctly? *sigh* this really gets confusing sometimes.
  • Larisonlj
    ok i wanna make sure i understand what i am reading here lol. I have a goal of 1400 calories a day. I burn about 300 from the excercies i do so i stay under my 1400 goal and then i eat some of my "gained" calories. Am i doing this correctly? *sigh* this really gets confusing sometimes.
    Yes, in your scenario of 1400 goal, burn 300 you could eat up to 1700 calories and still be at or under your goal. You do not have to starve to lost weight, especially the more muscle you build, you'll need to increase your calories by 100 - 200 per day ( or more). Your body needs at least 1200 just to function but everyone is different, 1200 I'm tired, cranky and sluggish, 1500 and I feel great, workout days I need about 1800.
  • Thank you Larisonlj! I have been eating my workout calories back (most of them or sometimes all). My food diary is open if you wanna look at it. I'm still grasping all this but i think i'm getting it now. I try super hard to stay under my food calorie goal everyday as well as the carbs goal and fat goal. I have a hard time staying under the sugars goal sometims and the sodium i'm starting to get the hang of that. Thanks everyone for the info!
  • Thanks everyone for the info!! It does become a little confusing. But if I burned off the calories I don't want to eat them right back. Lol. Is this ok??
  • bump
    [/quot

Im sorry I am very new to this but can you please explain to me what bump is... :/
  • Larisonlj
    bump
    [/quot

Im sorry I am very new to this but can you please explain to me what bump is... :/
    Bump keeps it in your 'my topics' so you can find it again without searching the entire forum again.
  • debrawallin
    debrawallin Posts: 55 Member
    I didn't even know what a net calorie was, I am sure I've read it before but it just didn't register with me until MFP and reading the boards discussions on the subject. Once I got it, it was like a slap the forehead moment, no wonder I could not get my weight to budge, ran a report and sure enough, I never met my net, especially with exercise. Thought I was being a good girl having calories left over at the end of the day. :smile: Now that I get it, I meet my net even if I have to eat something before I go to bed and the weight is coming off. Sort feels like unclogging a drain. Well I guess we learn it when we do. :heart: