Dealing with heartache

Options
My boyfriend of 2 1/2 years and I are really struggling and are talking about breaking up.
How do I not binge eat on ice cream and chocolate with all this happening?
AHHHHHH freaking out. Help!

Replies

• likearadiowave
    likearadiowave Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Try to relax and talk to someone instead. Perhaps talking to someone will make you feel better than binge eating.
  • mrsgoodwine
    mrsgoodwine Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Just remind yourself that the food will only be a temporary fix - you will only feel good while you are eating it. After that you will feel even more horrible than before. Don't let this sabotage your efforts. You need to be kind to yourself right now. The last time I went through a breakup - I did miles and miles of walking and it made me feel better.
  • tmaslyk
    tmaslyk Posts: 7
    Options
    I just broke up with my boyfriend of almost three years.
    Focus on eating healthy and exercising. Keep yourself busy and don't sit around. That will deter the binge eating.. at least it worked for me :)
  • Smak38
    Smak38 Posts: 8
    Options
    Personally, I would suggest working out. Simply because it releases the 'feel good' hormones. Working out regularly has gotten me through heartache in the past.
    I also put the number of pounds I wanted to lose on a sticky notes and stuck them EVERYWHERE. Especially the freezer, pantry, & steering wheel (that way I'd see it when I went to the store). Hope it helps!
  • MelissaAnn1983
    MelissaAnn1983 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Take it all out on exercising.
  • Melanie_RS
    Melanie_RS Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    you tell yourself you want to be healthy - mind and body - for the next guy. because if you do break up, indeed you won't be alone for long! :):heart:

1) don't buy any ice-cream
    2) throw what you have away and make sure it's buried in trash.

you won't eat it.
  • kellygirl5538
    kellygirl5538 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    This is hard and I'm sorry. Maybe u need some time alone...being alone is not always bad :)
  • Kal_n_130
    Kal_n_130 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    It may help you. Any time iv gone through a break up iv dropped weight like no other. Like everyone else said Focus on YOUUU. Keep busy and get ur self looking sexxay ;)
  • LifestyleChange33
    LifestyleChange33 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    WORK OUT MORE. You're in this for you. Sorry you're going through this.:flowerforyou:
  • stpetegirl
    stpetegirl Posts: 241
    Options
    I agree, stay busy! The worst thing you could do right now is binge because when you wake up in the morning, your problem is still going to be there! You don't need to add guilt for having a binge on top of your already broken heart!! Talk to someone, the more you hold it in, the more you will want to binge! When all else fails, turn to mfp friends for support! Best of luck!
  • nangel4u
    nangel4u Posts: 119
    Options
    Keep yourself busy and active to not build up stress and allow your mind to be clear so that the temptations wont come to you that easily...and also eat healthy snacks like fruit when you feel like you need to eat something!

I hope you two work it out ;-)
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    I'm going to play devil's advocate here and say, don't try to stop yourself. Do what you need to do. At least for a day or two.

I've been on this weight loss journey for about 6 months (well that's how long I've been taking it seriously). In that time I have had a couple of really bad days in which I broke out the ice cream, chips, fast food, etc. Everything I used to "binge" on. And I just let myself enjoy it, and it DID help me feel better. And you know what? It hasn't stopped me from reaching any of my goals so far. As long as you can get back on track quickly, one or two bad days won't kill you.

I'm sorry you're going through this. Heartache is the worst. If it takes a little ice cream to make it better... then enjoy your ice cream :smile:
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Binging will only make you feel worse in the long run. Write out your frustrations, anger, sadness. It will keep you occupied. Talk to a friend or a family member. Hope things work out!
  • ExplorinLauren
    ExplorinLauren Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    you tell yourself you want to be healthy - mind and body - for the next guy. because if you do break up, indeed you won't be alone for long! :):heart:

1) don't buy any ice-cream
    2) throw what you have away and make sure it's buried in trash.

you won't eat it.

Agree with this
    If you are really breaking up... going into a place where you only eat ice cream will only help for the first few days. lol... after that, your going to want to be a different, and better person... and Ice cream isn't going to help you get there. Screw him, and screw ice cream.... Be a better person than you have ever been... and trust me, in the end... it will be the best revenge ever :)
  • reweldt
    reweldt Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Evening,
    I broke up wiht someone 24 days ago so far I have not gained a pound. But I am running and crying a lot, but the most helpful are the EFT videos on you tube. I didnt believe it would work but I tried it anyway, worked for me. I had comfort food cravings real bad but now I have control of them.
    My heart goes out to you sweeite, best of luck, you can do it, you are woman, your are stronger than you think you are.
  • JenDeLadito
    Options
    the road can provide great therapy, go for a run, don't binge eat, you'll only feel guilt afterwards...
    i just went to a pretty bad breakup, but it actually motivated me to spend time on myself.
    to make sure i was happy with MYSELF.
    i know it's tough, and it isn't going to be easy, but a week from today you will feel much better.
    if you need a good cry, cry it out, but don't use food as comfort... trust me, it's not worth it.
  • Kenzietea2
    Kenzietea2 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    Beat the *kitten* out of a punching bag.
  • suenader
    Options
    Try writing down your feelings in a journal. When you are tempted to go overboard, imagine what you will feel like after the binge. It won't change anything except to make you more miserable. Get out with a close friend and vent. That is always cleansing for me. Remind yourself that nothing tastes as good as being thin feels. I hope this helps.
  • Asheea
    Asheea Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Take it all out on exercising.

This. Totally this. It will help with depression, anger, pity party..etc. Good luck and I hope everything works out! *Hugs*
  • RuthSweetTooth
    RuthSweetTooth Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Can you stop with a half cup? I don't call that a binge.

You'll find another, far better fella. . . .especially if you can continue to lose weight. So stop after that half cup. And work in a half cup to your diet each evening if it's what floats your boat. There are some pretty healthy ice creams out there, I found one by Turkey Hill that is light and has calcium, it's very nice. I love it with fruit and squirt whipped cream. It's not a binge, it's a dessert, and that's what ice cream and food is for. Feeding the body, not your soul. Only a new lover can do that, so try to get ready for him.

Ruth