Thyroid disease and weight loss

Options
Anyone with thyroid disease that is trying to lose weight? I would love to be friends and hear about any tips that you have. I am new to the site and I have been struggling with my weight ever since my thyroid shut down.

Replies

• morseck
    morseck Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I started on my journey 2 weeks ago. I have Hasimotos thyroiditis. I'm not even thinking about the thyroid anymore. Its not my throat that's my problem, it's what I'm shoving down it! :-)
  • susanfisher
    susanfisher Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Hello, Feel free to add me if you would like. I also have a thyroid problem but, this time I am not letting that stop my weight loss!!!
  • dholloway115
    Options
    I've had thyroid problems since I was 18 (22) now and my daughter only made things worse. Before I had her I was taking .5 mg and while pregnant I never had to take any meds for my levels to be right on track. While pregnant I gained about 60 lbs and an additional 10 after her. My doctor and I found out after having her my levels went crazy. I'm now on 250 mcg and still don't have my levels under control. She's almost 2 and I don't want her to see my as unhealthy as I am. If anyone has any tips I would love to hear them as well!

Do any of you know what foods are the worst for people with thyroid problems?
  • AlicynH
    AlicynH Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I've found that as long as I stay on my medication, I do better. Good luck.
  • sonja1116
    sonja1116 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I also have Hasimotos thyroiditis. I have had throid problems for almost 30 yrs and have been on drugs that long. I have had weight problems since, and other medical stuff which caused a bunch of weight gain. I too am going to work past it. I have read a couple things about iodine/iodide supplementation, so I am contemplating it... Dr Oz had a blurb about raspberry concentrate, I am looking in to that too.
    Good luck to all of us!
  • ShinyFuture
    ShinyFuture Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed after gaining a huge amount after having my first child. Apparently it went way out of whack with my second child, but my dr at the time never tested me during my pregnancy (despite, apparently, overwhelming clues that something was way wrong). That dr told me to take my thyroid with my prenatals, which I did all through the pregnancy and breastfeeding. When I switched dr's after a little more than a year because of a health plan change, my new dr immediately ordered tests and my levels were crazy high. It's been 16 years and my meds still change everytime I get tested.

I'm trying some stuff on my own now. I use roasted seaweed on a fairly regular basis and while I don't know if it changes my tests (first blood test since starting the seaweed is in Oct or Nov), I know it makes me feel SO much better --- no brain fog, no blues, and I have more energy - I feel like myself again, so whatever the test says I'm going to keep taking it.

I've read that kelp tablets are supposed to help, but haven't tried them yet.

As far as good/bad foods - "they" say raw cruciferous vegetables are not good for thyroid issues; iron interferes with the meds and possibly calcium so make sure you wait after your pill before ingesting either of those. There's a bunch of reports about soy and frankly it all has me confused, but I think "basic" soy -- edamame, tofu, soy sauce are supposed to be ok but maybe not soy milk, and maybe all the new soy stuff is not. I eat edamame a couple times a month and tofu once a month or so, and never could stand soy milk, so good or bad I don't think I eat enough to matter either way.
  • kympow
    kympow Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Yuppers! I had hypothyroid when I was 23 years old (Hoshimoto's diease)...then last summer I had thyroid cancer. My entire thyroid was removed. I continue to stay on synthroid (I will not do generic for my thyroid).... One thing I have in my corner is an awesome endocronologist... I am also a diabetic... Both are controlled very well.

I have lost 44 pounds since March... So weightloss is achievable....I may say its a little harder, but it can be done!

I would suggest having your levels checked regularly and have a thyroid ultrasound done every other year (if no problems).

You can friend me if you like (anyone else can as well)
  • acmiranda7
    acmiranda7 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    i too have hypothyroid and im on a large dose of meds 100 mcg, and bearly in norm range. im losing weight though and im not starving. Exercising is a must though.
  • kyomoon
    kyomoon Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I also have Hachimoto's and apparently have since I hit puberty... at least according to the doctor who diagnosed me at 19. All the signs were there but instead of having me checked out... I became the family joke/pariah due to sleep issues & erratic behaviour. FUN FUN!

Just an FYI if you don't know... caffeine prevents the absorption of the thyroid meds. I take mine when I got to bed, roughly 2 hours after I've eaten and at least 7/8 hours before my VERY important morning coffee... aaaahhhh.... :love:

I've also read that soy, in all forms, disrupts the absorption of the meds but then my current doctor (she's the best doc on the planet. I SWEAR!!) told me to take them on an empty stomach. Hence the bedtime routine.

When I became a patient of my current doctor I was 4.5 months pregnant with my daughter (16 now). I told her about the thyroid problem, she tested me and it had completely disappeared... until my daughter was 4 months old and it came back with a vengeance! UGH!!

Since I hit puberty my weight has steadily increased some of it due to 2 pregnancies and the difficulties that came after them. Some of it due to the fact that my thyroid levels are constantly in flux... some of it due to the lack of routine in my life during my late teens to mid-twenties resulting in my not remembering to take my meds... some due to the freedom of being able to eat whatever I want once I left home... and finally the remainder of it due to... believe it or not... NOT eating on a regular basis.

I'm trying not to watch the scale even though I'd like it to move OUT of the 290s and into the 150s, instead I'm concentrating on losing inches and just getting healthier. Having the thyroid issues for as long as I have puts me at high risk for heart & liver disease and all the other fun stuff that goes along with hypothyroidism... and it's all made worse by the excessive weight.

In the past three weeks I've lost 3 pounds and 6 inches all over. I've been to the gym everyday for the past 9 days and am currently in a "100 days in the gym" challenge with a gf of mine.

I would love to exchange exercise and diet tips as well as words of encouragement with you ladies! Feel free to add me.

Best wishes to all of you!
  • dholloway115
    Options
    Can we take the meds at night? I have always been told to take it first thing in the morning and not to eat until an hour after. That seems to throw off all my meals though b/c I'm not having breakfast till 10 or 11. A friend and I were today were talking about taking it at night but I just wasn't sure if it would still work. Has anyone had a doctor say it was ok? I know they say morning b/c it keeps some people up but it doesn't cause me any sleep problems. I have also considered setting an alarm at 6am taking it and going back to bed. Any ideas?
  • Raerae336699
    Options
    I have Hashimoto's thyroiditis, diagnosed in '07. I assumed that my Dr. knew exactly how to take care of me, I took my med's in the morning, but was never told about other med's interfering, so I wasn't doing it right until just recently. It turns out that I haven't been given the best care possible for this disease/condition. So I've decided that it's time for me to take control and become my own advocate. Thanks to Mary Shomon - thyroid.about.com, I am learning more about my condition and how to take care of myself.

I highly recommend all of you check out this website. It's packed with information. I've been suffering with symptoms for years now that I didn't know were a direct result of my thyroid not functioning. My med's have NEVER relieved all of my symptoms, just lessened some of them, and others are still raging out of control. I thought I was just getting older and that I would just have to get used to not feeling good anymore. After reading almost every single thing about this disease I can get my hands on, I'm about to start a campaign on my behalf to get the care I NEED.

To answer one question I saw, yes you can take your med's at night, as long as you have a "mostly" empty stomach for better absorption. I'm taking such a broad range of vitamins, herbs and other med's, that I too was having to eat breakfast at almost lunch time in order for me to get all my drugs in me before eating. So, I'm now switching things up a bit and taking my Synthyroid just before I go to sleep. I'm pretty positive that this is going to help me a great deal.

I do have a question for any of you with a thyroid problem. Do you find that you don't just plateau after a short period of time on a new diet, but that you hit a wall and can't get around it? Since 2001 I have tried repeatedly to lose weight. Every single diet I have tried will only work for about 2 or 3 months then I slam into that WALL, hard. I continue dieting with no results for months more until I finally get so frustrated that I quit eating healthy and fall back into my bad eating habits. Many times I have maintained the initial weight loss for up to a year, but eventually I gain it back again, though I have never gone back to my all time highest weight of 245 lbs.

I suspect that my thyroid is what makes me hit that wall and just won't budge once it's there. I can't even recall all the different diet plans I have tried in the last 12 years. Off the top of my head I would guess at least 8. Same exact results, lose weight for 2 to 3 months, then it stops. Today is my second day on a diet that my new Dr recommended called the 17 day diet. I'm down 2 lbs in just one day, and I can only hope that it continues.

Thanks for listening...I just needed to vent a little because I'm so frustrated with my raging out of control symptoms and a Dr that will only prescribe drugs based on a stupid blood test instead of how I feel. I'm currently seeking a new Dr that will listen.
  • kyomoon
    Options
    Can we take the meds at night? I have always been told to take it first thing in the morning and not to eat until an hour after. That seems to throw off all my meals though b/c I'm not having breakfast till 10 or 11. A friend and I were today were talking about taking it at night but I just wasn't sure if it would still work. Has anyone had a doctor say it was ok? I know they say morning b/c it keeps some people up but it doesn't cause me any sleep problems. I have also considered setting an alarm at 6am taking it and going back to bed. Any ideas?

My doctor ok'd it years ago. I had been taking it in the morning for years and my levels were fluctuating all the time.She asked me a bunch of questions like when I ate in the morning... did I drink coffee & when. She told me I needed to take the meds on an empty stomach and no caffeine for at least an hour. I asked if I could take them at bedtime and she said it may interfere with my sleep, but it didn't and my levels began to level out.

It helped a lot!
  • kyomoon
    Options
    I have Hashimoto's thyroiditis, diagnosed in '07. I assumed that my Dr. knew exactly how to take care of me, I took my med's in the morning, but was never told about other med's interfering, so I wasn't doing it right until just recently. It turns out that I haven't been given the best care possible for this disease/condition. So I've decided that it's time for me to take control and become my own advocate. Thanks to Mary Shomon - thyroid.about.com, I am learning more about my condition and how to take care of myself.

I highly recommend all of you check out this website. It's packed with information. I've been suffering with symptoms for years now that I didn't know were a direct result of my thyroid not functioning. My med's have NEVER relieved all of my symptoms, just lessened some of them, and others are still raging out of control. I thought I was just getting older and that I would just have to get used to not feeling good anymore. After reading almost every single thing about this disease I can get my hands on, I'm about to start a campaign on my behalf to get the care I NEED.

To answer one question I saw, yes you can take your med's at night, as long as you have a "mostly" empty stomach for better absorption. I'm taking such a broad range of vitamins, herbs and other med's, that I too was having to eat breakfast at almost lunch time in order for me to get all my drugs in me before eating. So, I'm now switching things up a bit and taking my Synthyroid just before I go to sleep. I'm pretty positive that this is going to help me a great deal.

I do have a question for any of you with a thyroid problem. Do you find that you don't just plateau after a short period of time on a new diet, but that you hit a wall and can't get around it? Since 2001 I have tried repeatedly to lose weight. Every single diet I have tried will only work for about 2 or 3 months then I slam into that WALL, hard. I continue dieting with no results for months more until I finally get so frustrated that I quit eating healthy and fall back into my bad eating habits. Many times I have maintained the initial weight loss for up to a year, but eventually I gain it back again, though I have never gone back to my all time highest weight of 245 lbs.

I suspect that my thyroid is what makes me hit that wall and just won't budge once it's there. I can't even recall all the different diet plans I have tried in the last 12 years. Off the top of my head I would guess at least 8. Same exact results, lose weight for 2 to 3 months, then it stops. Today is my second day on a diet that my new Dr recommended called the 17 day diet. I'm down 2 lbs in just one day, and I can only hope that it continues.

Thanks for listening...I just needed to vent a little because I'm so frustrated with my raging out of control symptoms and a Dr that will only prescribe drugs based on a stupid blood test instead of how I feel. I'm currently seeking a new Dr that will listen.

I experience that stall ALL THE TIME!! Then when I stop writing down everything that goes into my mouth my weight skyrockets... AGAIN!! The only time I didn't hit that wall was when I was grazing... little bits all day long and going out dancing three days a week (not a big drinker).

I've restarted logging everything I eat just 10 days ago and I now hit the gym everyday and log that as well. I would love to lose weight... and I'm talking a LOT of weight but right now I'd just concentrating on getting fit. I'm hoping that as I get fitter and my shape changes that the weight will look after itself... wishful thinking maybe? :happy:
  • dramstad
    dramstad Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I hear you about the WALL. When I was first diagnosed in 2007, I did Weight Watchers as recommended by my doctor. The first 48 pounds melted off, then I plateaued for almost 2 years. I dropped WW because I didn't want to spend the money just to kick myself. All the weight is now back.

I do take my synthyroid in the morning, my vitamins and baby asprin at bedtime.

I just moved to a new town where I have to walk my dog daily. Our morning walk is 20 minutes at a pretty slow pace that gives him time to sniff the neighborhood. That gentle exercize without tracking food has resulted in a 3.5 pound loss in 4 weeks. I am now resuming tracking. BTW, I find the community here to be as good or better than the WW on-line. As to being hypothyroid at a meeting--well that is one pain I am just skipping. I always loose when I walk. When I don't walk it is "chiseling concrete with a butter knife to take it off."

Drinking enough water is also critical. I very rarely dring a full glass of milk on its own now. But I do have 2% milk on my cereal and in my coffee. Dr. Oz commented that skim milk is all carbohydrate on one of his programs, which motivated me to try moving my milk to breakfast and snacks. I find I need to eat something about every three hours. Special K and milk is a great afternoon snack since we usually don't have supper until after 6:30. If I had just that for breakfast, I would be eating the house down about 4 hours after taking my synthyroid. But as a lite snack, it is great.

I am back to tracking to prepare to meet with the RDA on my new insurance plan. But instead of doing it all day (too cheap for a smart phone), I am doing it as part of going to bed. Today, mfp told me if I lived every day like today I would loose 4 more pounds over 6 weeks. I can handle that.

Good luck to you all.
  • leska1216
    leska1216 Posts: 260
    Options
    My weight went all wonky after my daughter was born. It just piled on, regardless of what I did. Up until an accident I suffered 5 years ago I was very active and walked every day and went to the gym 4-5 times a week. I have done no exercise for the last 2 years. I did go back and did a workout I had been doing before and found that I could easily keep up with the group and felt good during and after the workout.

A year ago I was diagnosed with cancer and my thyroid was removed. Have been on meds since. My meds have not stabilized my condition and my levels are all over the place. Due to the thyroid meds I suffered a very deep dark depression for about 6 months. Won't go there.

I take my synthroid in the morning along with my other meds. It is convenient for me even if sometimes I was them down with coffee. I sometimes take more meds in the afternoon (not thyroid) and then take my bedtime meds. So, after listening to all of you, the best thing I can do is take my synthroid at bedtime. I drink coffee in the morning and that is all.

I find it hard to get motivated due to the meds, depression, and pain. I am also a Type 2 diabetic and have been since 2000. I take no diabetic meds and have always controlled it by diet and exercise. My glucose levels are very good, as is my BP, pulse, hear rate, etc. The only thing out of whack is my weight. I am trying to deal with issue now.

I have been at the same plateau for the last 4-5 years. I waffle with 5 lbs up and 5 lbs down. What I have noticed is that my clothes fit differently and need altering. Last summer I bought a new wardrobe and had many pieces altered. This summer I through out most of last years clothing and had the rest altered, again. And I bought more clothing in a smaller size. My body is shrinking but my scale number is staying the same.
  • MCLA4mom
    MCLA4mom Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am also hypothyroid! I know first hand how hard it is to lose weight with a thyroid condition. I am on synthroid. I have been able to lose 75lbs on a great program. I am still "a work in progress". I am concentrating on toning up instead of weight loss these days. I was also insulin resistant and now its controlled through diet. I also had plantar fascitous (sp?). Trust me when I say that it is so worth it to get your weight off. You will feel so alive and wonderful. I feel better than I have in ten years! Feel free to add me to your "Pals"
  • mekutataki
    Options
    I too have hypothyroidism and struggle with weight loss, I cannot seem to loose the weight, no matter how hard I try. I even had the gastric sleeve! But it can be done, I feel for you! Add me if you need some encouragement!
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism.
    Have never had a hard time losing weight, it was clearly my food choices and no exercise.

Good luck!

ETA: another poster asked about good choices. There is a 'thryoid diet' book.
  • dbldoc
    dbldoc Posts: 1
    Options
    So well said......and true for me, too!
  • drea85an
    drea85an Posts: 130
    Options
    Pcos here, same weight loss issues, feel free to add me, took a lot of "giving up" foods to actually lose for me!