Could this be possible?!?...

Options
I just kicked @$$ in a dance workout. For about 1 hr 20 and really gave it my all. I have a HRM and for the first time used my stomach wrap (not sure what's it called, but it's supposed to make you sweat more (and it did 1000%))

I looked at my HRM when I was finished at it said I burned 743 cals!!! Is that a reasonable number? I'm just worried I will over log my workout cals and detour my already slow weight loss.

Thanks for any info!

**Oh, and let me add MFP is actually saying I burned a little less! I always thought their numbers were over estimated!

Replies

• TinaS88
    TinaS88 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Went ahead and averaged out MFPs and my HRM and just logged that, but I would still really like any kind of feedback! :)
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Impossible to tell. If your HRM tells you a number, that's gonna be as accurate as you're gonna get. Random guesses from people on the internet isn't really going to tell you much. 80 minutes of intense exercise can certainly add up that's for sure.

I'd ditch the wraps, however. They are snake oil and a waste of money. Sweating more just means you're hotter and more dehydrated, neither is a good thing.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Impossible to tell. If your HRM tells you a number, that's gonna be as accurate as you're gonna get. Random guesses from people on the internet isn't really going to tell you much. 80 minutes of intense exercise can certainly add up that's for sure.

I'd ditch the wraps, however. They are snake oil and a waste of money. Sweating more just means you're hotter and more dehydrated, neither is a good thing.

^this. The wrap makes you sweat more, but sweating more just makes you dehydrated faster. It has nothing at all to do with calorie burning or weight loss (except the temporary water weight lost). The water will come back as soon as you rehydrate.
  • TinaS88
    Options
    I am not asking exactly for someone to tell me if this is right. I was hoping for similar exercise regiments that one might be able to confirm that this is reasonable for someone. 50 cals I don't care about, but 300, that's a big difference.

Thanks for the input..
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    NVM
  • bexxgirl
    bexxgirl Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Hiya - I'm 5'7" and 90kgs (like 198lbs) and I burn about 500 cals doing pretty intense running for 45 minutes. So I would say that your 700-odd cals for over an hour is probably accurate!
  • amselby81
    amselby81 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I agree. They're not telling you that you're doing anything wrong. They're just giving some helpful tips and letting you know that the wrap's not necessary. It doesn't help you lose fat any faster. Just makes you sweat more. But as for the calories burned, like the above commenter mentioned, it's hard to tell, but the HRM gives you a good idea. You worked out for a long time, and if it was hard, I can believe it was 700 something calories. Great burn!

ETA.:Okay, nerdyrose edited her post so that my comment might not make sense. anyway, this was agreeing with what she said. Now she says nevermind.
  • HolyPeas
    HolyPeas Posts: 71
    Options
    NURSE HERE, I would never give out medical advice but I see a lot of people roasting you about the wrap so I thought I would add my two cents. I know its not about what you were asking but still.

The wraps do actually make you sweat more from certain areas which does not equal fat loss but it does mean extra fluid loss in that area. So it is temporary but you can lose inches that way if the work out was sufficient to make you sweat more from that area. Once you rehydrate in 24 hours or so you will be back to normal. If I wanted to de-bloat I might do it, except for that I dont own one and don't see myself purchasing one because I know its a temporary thing.
  • TinaS88
    Options
    ETA.:Okay, nerdyrose edited her post so that my comment might not make sense. anyway, this was agreeing with what she said. Now she says nevermind.

Ha, yeah I was wondering what you were talking about. The wrap isn't the issue right now. I actually like it because it help remind me to keep my core tight :)

I am just still new at the whole calories burned during exercise and what to make sure my numbers are readying "normal"
  • TinaS88
    Options
    The wraps do actually make you sweat more from certain areas which does not equal fat loss but it does mean extra fluid loss in that area. So it is temporary but you can lose inches that way if the work out was sufficient to make you sweat more from that area. Once you rehydrate in 24 hours or so you will be back to normal. If I wanted to de-bloat I might do it, except for that I dont own one and don't see myself purchasing one because I know its a temporary thing.

I am quite bloated these last two days, another reason to keep using it right now :)

And it was only $5 so it's not that big of deal. :)
  • ahjenny
    ahjenny Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I would say that it's possible. I did an hour on the elliptical recently and my HRM said I burned 497 calories. Add another 20 minutes, it could have easily gotten to 650 calories burned. Since you're doing dancing and it might be a bit more strenuous, I think you could have totally burned that many calories in 80 minutes. Feels good, doesn't it?! :)
  • TinaS88
    Options
    I would say that it's possible. I did an hour on the elliptical and my HRM said I burned 497 burned. Add another 20 minutes, it could have gotten to 650 calories burned. Since you're doing dancing and it might be a bit more strenuous, I think you could have totally burned that many calories in 80 minutes. Feels good, doesn't it?! :)

Feels great!! Hehe. Thanks!! :)
  • jenb155
    jenb155 Posts: 7
    Options
    Absolutely! I started Insanity a few weeks ago. Today I did 60 minutes and burned 631 calories. It was INTENSE!!
  • to_the_surface
    Options
    I've run comparisons between the calorie burn info provided by my HRM, the info from the MFP database, and a powermeter (arguably the most accurate, consumer level tool to measure power output and calculate calorie consumption) using bike riding as workout.

HRM is about 40-50% higher than the powermeter (calorie consumption is about 55% of the HRM reading). MFP is within a 15% range of HRM ( usually 10-15% lower for bike riding, but 15% higher for running).

Not sure about other activities as these two are a third of my workout routine (swimming the other but no HRM numbers to compare). However, generally speaking, HRM (and the MFP database) overestimates the calorie consumption. Hard to tell by how much in your specific case/activity.

If i were concerned about innacurate high numbers I'd slash 25-30% of the lowest reading (HRM or MFP) and use that in my log.
  • TinaS88
    Options
    If i were concerned about innacurate high numbers I'd slash 25-30% of the lowest reading (HRM or MFP) and use that in my log.

I really like this idea. Going to try it for a few weeks and see how it goes! Thanks!! Oh, and I did 20% from the lowest number :)
  • volume77
    volume77 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    this is why i dont have an hrm .. i feel like i might get ocd about it ;)
  • TinaS88
    Options
    this is why i dont have an hrm .. i feel like i might get ocd about it ;)

Yes, it can get very annoying. Do you do Atkins or something? My friend does and she doesn't count cals, she just keeps her carbs really low. We are always debating and plan on comparing the two via our results.
  • vfnmoody
    vfnmoody Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    hey if you want to go OCD there is that armband that I just found out about that you need to ware 23 hours a day.
    700cal in an 80 minutes is quite possible.
  • Inforthelonghaul
    Options
    The stair climber I use tells me that I burn about 1200 calories in an hour, mind you it is a pretty intense session. Do I believe the calorie count, let's just say I'm sceptical.