Can birth control keep me from losing weight?

Options
I'm on the birth control shot Depo & lately it seems like no matter how hard I try I can't seem to lose the weight I'm wanting and
I'm beginning to become discouraged & I'm not understanding why I'm not losing weight.
could this be because I'm on the shot?
the only thing is, I've lost 20 some pounds before while on the shot but I ended up gaining back, so I don't think that it's the shot holding me back, so I'm not understanding why I'm not losing weight.
anyone have any answers/suggestions ?

Replies

• wildrosejmj
    wildrosejmj Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    My only recommendation is to stop getting the shot. Any of the birth control pills and depo have artificial hormones and are really, really bad for you. Check out Fertility Friend or Taking Charge of Your Fertility. Both have free websites that will show you how to track your fertility naturally and safely - and for free. Natural Family Planning doesn't cost anything now (free to learn and do) or later (increased cancer risks, blot clots, infertility, etc.). Also, read ALL the fine print that goes with depo or any other birth control. These products are very dangerous to women and pose great risks that affect you the rest of your life. I know it's in you now and you can't do anything about that, but please do some research before choosing to get another shot.

Deo Juvante, Jen
  • shellyk972
    shellyk972 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I was on depo for a year and I gained about 30 lbs. :( It messes with your progesterone levels.
  • hendrijm
    hendrijm Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I'm in that boat with you. I'm transitioning off of it and on to something else have gained nine pounds!! If you have the option to not be on hormones I would try that route. I unfortuantely cannot go off hormones.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    I'm on the birth control shot Depo & lately it seems like no matter how hard I try I can't seem to lose the weight I'm wanting and
    I'm beginning to become discouraged & I'm not understanding why I'm not losing weight.
    the only thing is, I've lost 20 some pounds before while on the shot but I ended up gaining back, so I don't think that it's the shot holding me back, so I'm not understanding why I'm not losing weight.

You may talk to your doctor about another birth control option. The shot is the only one I know of that doctors pretty much know will make you gain weight. You might try a lower dose sort of birth control.

Also, don't listen to the people that say hormones are bad for you...you make hormones, but if they are off balance this can be an issue. Also if you are eating a lot of animal foods you are ingesting hormones that can aid in throwing things off.

Not sure about your reasoning for choosing the shot over the pill, but nuva ring as well as iuds are effective.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Every hormonal birth control caused me to gain weight. I abandoned them all.
  • MelissaAnn1983
    MelissaAnn1983 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I am struggling with this too! I was told the first year is the hardest year with all of the problems. I am half way through and so far have only gained 5 pounds but it is really hard to get it to go. I am trying my best though and am working harder at this. So yes I think it is harder.
  • JennyLisT
    JennyLisT Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I would definitely talk to your doctor about other options if you're having trouble. There might be some low-dose alternatives that are more appropriate for you and your goals.

I'd also advise you to ignore the anti-birth control crowd and listen to someone with knowledge and training (a doctor, perhaps?).
  • JenaePavlak
    JenaePavlak Posts: 350 Member
    Options

I was on Depo from age 16-25. While I believe it increased appetite.. I still lost all the weight I put on with it before switching up BC (now on implant). It could be a factor, but with consistent diet and exercise, I don't believe you have a problem, just an "excuse".

"Lift Heavy! Run Hard!" =D
    www.facebook.com/jenaesmithfitness
  • becschneider
    Options
    I was on the pill for about 18 months and within 6 months i went from being 70kg to 113kg!!! and i tried countless things to try and lose wieght whilst on it but just kept gaining. i've now been off the pill for a year and have only lost 15kgs, so easy to put it on but super hard to lose
  • Uuuhlexis
    Uuuhlexis Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I gained at least 10-20lbs when I was on depo, despite trying really hard to diet and exercise. Try the ring, it's really low dose and it felt really good having less hormones!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

I was on Depo from age 16-25. While I believe it increased appetite.. I still lost all the weight I put on with it before switching up BC (now on implant). It could be a factor, but with consistent diet and exercise, I don't believe you have a problem, just an "excuse".

"Lift Heavy! Run Hard!" =D
    www.facebook.com/jenaesmithfitness
    Or it could affect different people differently. Just a thought.
  • campjodie
    campjodie Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have heard that the shot is guaranteed to make you gain weight. When I am on the pill I seem to be able to lose weight more easily, but I think it depends on the person. Most women gain weight when on some type of hormonal birth control
  • picorigirl
    Options
    I gained 40 pounds in the six months I was on the Depo shot. :/ So yea, I'd say it might have an impact.
  • wildrosejmj
    Options
    Just as an FYI - not to get into a great debate - yes, we make hormones, but they are hormones that are supposed to be in our bodies, not the artificial ones created for BC. There is a big difference and the artificial ones do cause side effects and are dangerous.

I only advised the OP to read the fine print and urged her to do some research. She is free, as is anyone, to make her own decisions based on the facts she finds in her research. There is a lot of info in the fine print that COMES WITH the birth control, straight from the company, that no doctor will tell you. There are also MANY studies which correlate many health problems (increased risk of cancer, blood clots, infertility, etc.) to hormonal birth control use. It's your health and your body. If you want to roll the dice with it, go for it, but we are presumably on this site to lose weight and get healthy. I just wanted to give some info that I thought might be helpful. Do with it what you like.

Oh, and yes, absolutely, I understand that some women are prescribed BCPs to regulate cycles and help with hormonal imbalances. I would still urge women in that situation to look into natural hormones rather than synthetic and look to find out WHY the hormones are imbalanced. There are many ways to correct imbalances without hormone replacement.

Peace.

Deo Juvante, Jen
  • BlueJean4114
    BlueJean4114 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    yes, that Depo shot can cause some weight gain,
    BUT SO CAN PREGNANCY!!
    and being exhausted from chasing children all day.
    and spending your life in a car driving them everywhere.
    lol.

I worked wih a gal, real tiny overly-skinny gal, who went on the Depo shot specifically to gain 10 lbs for her wedding, it worked. After years of watching her try to gain weight without any success, she did fill out her bridal gown a little better after several months on Depo shot.
    but some ppl do hold their weight at normal level even on the Depo shot, but, there are probably other altermatives to consider trying.
    Ask your doctor. How about a diaphram? Or the "O" ring?

btw
    If you go for the 'natural' birth control, like my mother who had FIVE (5) CHILDREN used,:wink: i'd use something else in addition, condoms, diaphrams, something!
    and not all women are like a clock, lots of things can throw a woman off her cycle,
    and the subtle tiny signs they tell you to watch for are NOT reliable in all women, and very very easy to miss, IF they even occur in you reliably. and the subtle signs to watch for, are also influenced by multiple factors other than ovulation, it's somewhere around 75% effective for "some* women.
    that other 25% chance can sure change your life...mmmHmm..
    Plus, sperm live for 3 days...

i also worked with a gal, who was local body-builder champion, buff as heck, very pretty, but very sculpted, not an ounce of fat on her, and she LIVED for health and fitness, and was part owner of gym for body builders. She had one of those little implants in her arm, a five year birth control thing.

do go Planned Parenthood or your doctor to ask about another method if you feel Depo is causing weight gain.

never ceases to amaze me, that humans are the ONLY creature which is unaware of the right day to mateto cause a pregnancy. (or to not mate)
    EVERY other creature on the planet KNOWS, both female and male, KNOW "Today is THE day!"
    all the creatures
    ......except us. Dr Helen Fisher has fascinating video on how that mystery may have became an evolutionary advantage to raising creatures that take almost 2 decades to mature....:laugh:
  • wildrosejmj
    Options
    I'm headed to bed (thought NOT because I'm exhausted from chasing my SEVEN kids around all day - I actually enjoy them - most of the time! lol - and really I don't chase them at all because one's in college (she wouldn't appreciate me chasing her around all day), 4 are kind of old for that almost being teenagers, and the other 2, I let the other kids chase around! lol )

I just wanted to throw in that Natural Family Planning has come a LONG way from the old "rhythm method" our parents used. It's actually very scientific and I know MANY families who use it and have rarely had any "oopsies". Plus, knowing how your body works is very empowering. You can see first hand how amazing our bodies are and all the signs - some subtle and others not so much - that tell you when you're fertile. I absolutely know, within a week's notice, when I'm going to ovulate. I know the day I ovulate, and I know within a couple of days, when my period is due. I know everyone isn't regular, but that's when NFP is really valuable. By watching your body's signs you know when you are getting fertile, know when you ovulate, and know when your period is due, even if your cycle isn't clockwork or isn't the 28 days they tell us is it should be (ha ha!). It's sad that we aren't taught more about our bodies and instead told, "here just take this pill" when the doctors KNOW that the pill and other hormones really can be dangerous. When you think about it, we've been sold out by the pharmaceutical companies and told NOT to listen to our own bodies. We were designed with some very powerful signs of fertility that, if you know them, you really can't miss. I know not everyone agrees with me but I hope that at least some of you may do a little research and see for yourselves that I'm giving factual info, not just my opinion. Blessings, all!!

Deo Juvante, Jen
  • wildrosejmj
    Options
    Oh, and I guess I should mention that I have BTDT on this stuff. Back a few years I was on BCPs, had depo, and even had a norplant. As I got into my 30s I also had a progesterone deficiency that I've treated with natural supplements. So, I talk about this stuff because I'ge lived it and researched it.
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    I have heard that the shot is guaranteed to make you gain weight. When I am on the pill I seem to be able to lose weight more easily, but I think it depends on the person. Most women gain weight when on some type of hormonal birth control

Nothing is guaranteed anything. The side effects that come with BC and medication in general are not sure-fire "this is what you have to look forward to" symptoms. Some affect a small percentage, others a larger percentage but it's never the same with any two people. Case in point I've been on the depo shot for over a year now and it's never hindered my weight whereas with every pill I tried I had stuff like migraines so bad I had to wear sunglasses even at 9 at night just to watch TV and worsening depression and even worsening time of the month symptoms. They didn't work for me, the shot does. Doesn't mean those pills don't work for everyone or that the shot works for everyone, just means in my case that's what happened.

To OP: I would try and discuss other options with your doctor and try to remember exactly when you began the shot and when you began gaining and if in that timeframe you've been on any other medication, severely altered your eating habits, or had something happen that might also be the cause. If I recall correctly, depending on how long you've had it and the doses it will take upwards of a year to get the shot out of your system so even then it's not a quick fix.

But in general, most BC carries the side effect of weight gain as does a lot of medicine, especially stuff like anti-depressants. It's important to make yourself knowledgeable of what's being put in your body and the possible side effects so that you can watch for them and get the necessary help if they're severe or you can't live with them. I recently had to get off a medication because it's stalled my weight loss since I began taking it and though it was doing its intended job, I couldn't live with the side effect of not only barely maintaining my weight but possibly gaining it back.
  • Purple_Orchid_87
    Purple_Orchid_87 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    is rather be a big girl than a parent right now

whether you agree with terminations or not (i personally dont), I live in a country where they are illegal, and so knowing I cant seek help if I was ever attacked, or if I just messed up my dates and fell pregnant, i have to take extra precautions
  • BlueJean4114
    BlueJean4114 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    TO Wild rose,
    oh, i so AGREE that many forms of birth control CAN have side effects and health risks.
    as can pregnancy, too, and the weight gain that some women suffer after pregnancy.
    but no argument whatsoever, that some forms of birth control are risky especially for some women.
    not my point at all.

there are tons of forms of birth control to consider, like IUDs, condoms, diaphrams, low dose hormonal therapy, implants, etc.

and yes, i am pretty well versed on all 'advances' in learning subtle, easy to miss 'signals' (like temperature charting, mucus stretching, etc ) which can be impacted by so so many factors Other than ovulation.

I was just going by Mayo clinic and other reputable sources, which state, 'natural' birth control does NOT work for all women, and can have about a 25% failure rate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's one thing to have take a 25% risk of failure on some things in life, but becoming a parent should ideally be a choice one wants very very much and is fully ready for and mature enough to deal with, etc.

It's often struck me as weird, that no matter how many children a woman using 'natural' birth control has, all were planned. Hard to find a woman who will admit any of her multiple children were unplanned.
    A relative of mine, who insists on using natural family planning (mother of four) had medical problem, and was told NO more pregnancies..
    sadly , soon after, they ended up with no sex life. at all,. I think a diaphragm might have helped that particular couple stay a romantically involved couple, rather to take that 25% risk. FEAR of pregnancy can impact some couples' sex life.

Some sites rate it as MORE than 25% risk of pregnancy.

I know many women who say their birth control did fail, who doesn't? but hard to find one who will say natural birth control ever failed. But some must admit it, or else Mayo clinic would rate it as 100% effective, must just be the ones i know all say they wanted large families.
    which is great! but not everyone wants large families. Nor any babies at all.
    but i so agree, to each his own!!! I just felt this gal had a right to know, that natural family planning, is best left for couples who really would not mind an extra baby if it happened, its not for everyone. but glad it worked so well for you.