Eloping without rings....

Options
So my boyfriend and i have been together 18 months, we are high school sweethearts, long story short we met in high school he went off to the army, lost contact fast forward 10 years we found our way back to each other ( Thank you social networking) and we are so much in love.

We want to get married in December but we have no money for engagement rings or wedding bands.. I told him I still want to elope somewhere (court house or some cabin in the mountains) and when we have the money we can get rings later, get photos taken or whatever... Who cares about the rings, all that matters is standing next to the one you love and saying those vows..

Has anyone ever gotten married with out exchanging rings?? If so how does it change the exchanging of vows if you cant put rings on each others fingers...

Replies

• asiedu82
    asiedu82 Posts: 22
    Options
    Aww lily congrats! Well my husband and I got married and we didnt have our rings yet. At the courthouse you can buy cheap fake rings for like $20. Also go to Walmart! They have some nice rings in their fashion section for like $8.88. Get two use those and then buy what you guys want.

NO one will ever know the difference except you too!! :)
  • bennysammysofie
    Options
    Go for it! My wife and I did the whole big wedding thing and put the rings on the wrong fingers so screw the rings!!!!!!!!!
  • lilybear84
    Options
    Thank you, he wants to get married on 12-12-12 yippie!!! This will be his 3rd marriage and my 2nd the only people that will come is his mom and aunt and uncle. All my family live out of state or out of the country. I'll have to bring up the walmart idea to him and see what he says.. i kinda dont want to do the court house thing but it may come down to that..
  • lilybear84
    Options
    Go for it! My wife and I did the whole big wedding thing and put the rings on the wrong fingers so screw the rings!!!!!!!!!
    \

LOL THATS FUNNY, MADE ME CHUCKLE
  • MiCool90
    MiCool90 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    you cantaloupe ;)
  • RunMyOregonBunsOff
    RunMyOregonBunsOff Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    When my husband and I got married we had my rings but had yet to find (or have the money for) his, so we found a $20.00 sterling silver ring that he wore until we could get what we wanted. The rings aren't that important...I would use one made out of a gum wrapper if that's all we had. It could even be a greater symbol of love than a $2,000.00 rock in my book.
  • quitmakingexcuses
    quitmakingexcuses Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    That's awesome!! My fiancee and I are eloping on our road trip, so I'm all for it! I have an engagement ring but it was kind of like a Christmas present. We aren't buying expensive rings when we do finally marry.

I think the ring exchange is just a formality. If you feel like you do need to exchange something, use a flower or something similar, but I personally think rings aren't necessary. Exchange your vows and enjoy your life together! Ring or no ring, you two will be together no matter what. c:
  • TinaS88
    TinaS88 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I did have an engagement ring, but we were married for 7 months before I saw my husband and got a ring. ( We married mid-way through a 15 month deploy. via proxy

If you really love each other, then rings shouldn't matter.
  • lilybear84
    Options
    When my husband and I got married we had my rings but had yet to find (or have the money for) his, so we found a $20.00 sterling silver ring that he wore until we could get what we wanted. The rings aren't that important...I would use one made out of a gum wrapper if that's all we had. It could even be a greater symbol of love than a $2,000.00 rock in my book.

I agree, love is more important than rings.. it would take us years to save for engagement and wedding bands, like who has thousands of dollars sitting on their checking account??? Not very many people..
  • significance
    significance Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    The rings don't matter. My husband and I had a fairly traditional wedding, including a full three-course sit-down dinner reception with 80 friends and family, but we chose to spend our budget on the celebration rather than details that didn't mean anything to us. I wore a $200 dress, we exchanged $15 rings and we asked friends to send their best photos from the day rather than hire a photographer.
  • lilybear84
    Options
    I did have an engagement ring, but we were married for 7 months before I saw my husband and got a ring. ( We married mid-way through a 15 month deploy. via proxy

If you really love each other, then rings shouldn't matter.

YEP I DEF AGREE, I WOULD MARRY HIM TOMORROW BUT HE LIKES 12-12-12 ILL EVEN WEAR JEANS AND A NICE TOP OR SOMETHING..
  • lilybear84
    Options
    The rings don't matter. My husband and I had a fairly traditional wedding, including a full three-course sit-down dinner reception with 80 friends and family, but we chose to spend our budget on the celebration rather than details that didn't mean anything to us. I wore a $200 dress, we exchanged $15 rings and we asked friends to send their best photos from the day rather than hire a photographer.

THAT IS AWESOME, PHOTOGRAPHERS ARE SO EXPENSIVE THESE DAYS..
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    My husband and I 'sort of' eloped.

We'd booked the time slot in the registry office and he wanted his parents to be witnesses. And somehow that turned into his who whole family wanting to come (3 siblings and their partners). So then we had to invite my family as well.... who then flew from NZ to be there.

All with 4wks notice.

I did get a gold band (no engagement ring or anything though) but my husband didn't get a ring at all.

We decided that we didn't want to go into debt to get married.
  • dvcab
    dvcab Posts: 78
    Options
    Its the exchanging of the vows that are more important there are other ceremonies other than rings you can do a different colored sand in a jar as the blending of the two of you into one, or use a ribbon to bind your hands together find something that seems more symbolic to the two of you, being together is the most important thing...good luck
  • lilybear84
    Options
    Its the exchanging of the vows that are more important there are other ceremonies other than rings you can do a different colored sand in a jar as the blending of the two of you into one, or use a ribbon to bind your hands together find something that seems more symbolic to the two of you, being together is the most important thing...good luck

YOU'VE GOT ME TEARING UP READING THIS, I NEVER THOUGHT OF DOING ANY OF THOSE. NOW YOU HAVE ME THINKING OF IDEAS :)
  • MellowGa
    MellowGa Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    well the price of gold has skyrocketed, My sister owns a Celtic ring site, she said the new thing is "alternative metals" for Rings, save some cash up and see if you both can get some simple rings, it's only a symbol but nice to have