Women Only Gym?

Options
Hey, just wondering who here goes to a women's only gym as opposed to a regular one, and what are the pros and cons for both?

I'm moving to a new city in September and I can either join the YMCA (more classes, and I can go to any YMCA in New England with just one membership, but I've heard YMCAs can be dirty/shady?), or a smaller women's only gym (fewer classes, and I'm worried more judgemental, less chilled out? but possibly cleaner/nicer?).

I personally think I'd like to have the added motivation of having guys around, but then again it might make me more self-conscious.

So any stories/advice/help welcome! Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• InvidiaXII
    InvidiaXII Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    The women-only room at my gym has all the crappy, old, nearly-broken equipment, lol. Can't say that would be the case for an entire women-only gym, but hear me out on this theory-- most gyms have to compete with one another for customers primarily based on quality of equipment, classes, trainers, etc. so they have to keep their standards high. A women-only gym's main draw is that there are no men, so they might have less pressure to buy the best, new equipment, hire the best trainers, etc. Like I said, just a theory though :)
  • Ulfgard
    Ulfgard Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    That would suck for me, since my husband is my gym buddy. :cry:
    But it sounds cool for women who want to workout that way. :flowerforyou:

I must say that at my old gym - before I was married - my sister and I used to go to the woman-only room because there was never anyone in there and we had free reign over the equipment. Score!

Edit to Add: oops! I didn't realize I was typing this while logged into my husband's account - I was adding his dinner and forgot to log out.
  • munchlaxx
    munchlaxx Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I have been in some shady YMCA's, but I have also been in some really awesome ones. Take a tour through the gyms and see which one you feel more comfortable in.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    From what I've heard, women's gyms seem to be much much less equipped, especially in the free weights department, so I'd check it out first. On the other hand, if it IS equipped, that would be nice, as I bet they'd stock lighter bars and fractional weights.

I have lots of friends on here that work out at the Y though, they all seem to think its fine.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i've never been to any women's only gym that would meet my workout needs. all the ones i've seen are all cardio equipment and random nautilus style machines with a few free weights. no squat rack, no olympic bars, no weight plates over 10 pounds , no plyo boxes, no pull up bar, so heavy bag

id say first go by what type of workouts you intend to do in your gym. if the gym fits your workout style then go for it
  • Everythin2Lose
    Options
    I go to a women's gym now, and I've been to both in the past. I personally feel intimidated at regular one because the weights section was always taken over by guys & they tended to be in little groups- I'm a quite forward person but 3 muscley men looking at the fat girl try and do "tiny" weights put me off completely! But they did have a lot of classes (which tended to be packed but great fun!).
    The chicks gym I go to now is clean, plenty of equipment (free weights up to large weights, plenty of classes, heavy punching bags, tv's on ALL equipment, stretching area, squat benches...) and everyone is really nice. I don't feel judgement at all because everyone there is after the same things I am- to get healthy. It isn't a competition. I also find the all-women staff-base a great help as they are always on hand and able to tailor specific routines for me based on having plenty of experience with other womens bodies. Oh and did I mention we get frozen lemon or mint scented fashwashers brought around to us during every workout? haha.. perks! Plus the bathrooms are massive with all the extras such as straightners, hair dryers, deoderants, makeup removal pads, haircare...
    Check them both out, it really depends on whether you are after a more intimate exercise gym or a nameless I want to sweat it out and compete gym... Hope that helps :)
  • maroonmango211
    maroonmango211 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    My oldest little one is going to school in a month and I will finally be able to attend a gym for some of my workouts. I as well have been looking into two options, a woman`s only SHAPES that just opened up this summer and the YMCA literally on the corner of my street. The Y is great, I`ve been there before and it is clean and offers a lot, but the weight room is always super busy with muscle men taking over the equipment. I also don`t like that because its a more public gym the cardio machines are right against a huge window with all our butts facing towards literally the most busy street of our city. The woman`s only gym is new, so not really having to deal with old crappy equipment but it is a tad smaller and I would be worried more about cliques and judgement based on looks and fitness (lets face it this happens a lot when many different gals are put in one place often enough).

I would suggest going to both and seeing if they have free trial periods. This is an easy way to compare both, the cleanliness, the equipment, the crowd, that way at least its you judging your specific location.
  • kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I've been a member of both and frankly prefer the mixed gym. The women's only gym had aromatherapy candles burning which gave me a headache. I felt very judged there when working out as well, as most of the women there were prissy types who didn't sweat much.

In the mixed gym that I am a member of now, I can push myself on the cardio equipment more because I'm not worried about women looking down their noses at the fat girl trying to run. The guys only look at me when asking if I'm still using a machine, or occasionally one will ask if I want them to spot me on free weights (when I venture over there!). It just suits me more.
  • robot_monerz
    Options
    I've been to both - Women Only and Co-Ed.

I personally liked the Co-Ed better. I found that once you get over being self conscious about working out in front of guys, it's not a big deal at all! The co-ed gyms generally have more to offer, and better equipment from my experience.

Honestly, I find that most people are focused on their workouts.

But yeah, take tours and then decide. I like the flexibility of more classes though!
  • Kalliejc
    Kalliejc Posts: 36
    Options
    I belong to the YMCA. The one I go to is older.....I've also gone to some really nice new ones. But this one is closer. What I love about it is that it is truly filled with a lot of amazing Senior Citizens and it really does become a community. And no waiting for equipment. EVER. And it has everything I had at Lifetime fitness....minus the excruciating price, the people who are there to be seen, and the steam room. I really miss the steam room. Overall however, I love it.

I also belonged to a women only gym. I didn't look at your age or anything, but I was in my early 30's when I joined and I found it to be VERY LOW in the challenge department......like, "OH, you don't want to break a sweat today?? OK, don't worry about it." Haha! I'm stretching it a bit, but I felt there was VERY little outside incentive to push myself.
  • HolyPeas
    HolyPeas Posts: 71
    Options
    Its all about what you will stick with. Can you deal with maybe a little dirty? Is the added benefit of being able to go to other gyms REALLY a benefit? meaning do you really spend enough time anywhere else in the state that going to another gym is something thats even important? If not that shouldn't really be a factor.

Personally I like the idea of a womens only gym because sometimes being around men at the gym is intimidating for me and I'm just not as comfortable (my fitness level is NOT high yet)