who has a good at-home strength training plan?

Options
I had a gym membership for a while, but once it expired I wasn't able to afford it anymore..

I really miss the free weights (doing cardio at home is no big), but I'm wondering if anyone has a good weekly plan for at home strength training? I don't really have any equipment other than a medicine ball and 5 lb weights.. I would break my week into shoulders, back, arms, legs, and chest with two rest days (not in that order).

I'm not looking for responses like look on youtube, do pushups etc.

Thanks for any help in advance!

Replies

• epmck11
    epmck11 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    How do you plan on building any strength with nothing more than 5lb weights? Building strength requires progressively heavier weights. 5lbs is nothing. To build strength, either join a gym or buy some real weights.

I know that's not what you want to hear, but it's the truth. Nobody can assign any effective routine for you that will build strength if all you have is a 5lb weight and a medicine ball. It's like asking how to get better at shooting a basketball if you don't have a basketball or a basket.
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    Check out Tabata Training, bodyrocks. Burpees etc

There are loads of strenght training exercises you can do without weights. A chair and some will power and you'll be bullet proof
  • ClareRae
    ClareRae Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Have you heard of Convict Conditioning? It's all exorcises you can do at home, without weights. It's based not only on how convicts do in prison, but on exorcises Romans did before things like freeweights were a thing. The author himself spent time in prison, so it's a first hand account.
  • thebigcb
    Options
    Dips for triceps, off a chair, with your legs on another chair

Push ups, with your feet elevated - Chest

Hand stand push ups with your feet against the wall - Shoulders

Hold the weights behind your back and bring your arms out and up in semi circles above your head and back down - shoulders

Go outside and lash the medicine ball off the ground, from abouve your head, throwing it down, catch, and above your head again - arms, core, shoulders arms)

Jumping jacks holding the weights

Sit ups holding the medicine ball

Seated shoulder push(bring arms down and touch elbows)

You could arm crul then straight into shoulder press

Lunges holing the weights

Squats holding the weights

Burpees( KILLER )

The list is endless
  • quitmakingexcuses
    quitmakingexcuses Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    How do you plan on building any strength with nothing more than 5lb weights? Building strength requires progressively heavier weights. 5lbs is nothing. To build strength, either join a gym or buy some real weights.

I know that's not what you want to hear, but it's the truth. Nobody can assign any effective routine for you that will build strength if all you have is a 5lb weight and a medicine ball. It's like asking how to get better at shooting a basketball if you don't have a basketball or a basket.

Yes, I realize that. I guess I should have been more clear. I suppose I meant body weight training that I can do at home without equipment. Make sense?

And I would obviously have a gym membership or buy weights if I could afford it, but like I stated, I can't.
  • quitmakingexcuses
    Options
    Thanks thebigcb, those will help.

And ClareRae I haven't heard of that but will check it out. Thanks!
  • kcthatsme
    kcthatsme Posts: 5,136 Member
    Options
    bump
  • thebigcb
    Options
    You could add to the difficulty of the lunges by elevating your back leg onto a chair, or do them off a step

You can do side lunges, reserve lunges.

Another chest one. Bring your arms up too your chest, push your palms together as hard as you can, keeping the pressure on, slowly move you hands away from your body and back in

Calves, just hold the weights and do raisers off a step.

Sit up twists holding the medicine ball.

Really is endless what you can do
  • quitmakingexcuses
    Options
    You could add to the difficulty of the lunges by elevating your back leg onto a chair, or do them off a step

You can do side lunges, reserve lunges.

Another chest one. Bring your arms up too your chest, push your palms together as hard as you can, keeping the pressure on, slowly move you hands away from your body and back in

Calves, just hold the weights and do raisers off a step.

Sit up twists holding the medicine ball.

Really is endless what you can do

Cool, again thanks.

I'm just trying to put together a routine that is similar to what I had at the gym. I just have had a hard time coming up with enough exercises to be an actual workout since I don't have the weights. I'll start writing these down and organizing a routine. I'll gladly listen to any others! c:
  • thebigcb
    Options
    What was your gym routine?
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    look up 'fitness buddy' app. its only 69p and has 1700 different exercises using barbells, dumbells, kettlebells, medicine ball, resistance bands, swiss ball or body weight only so you can use at gym or home.

You can search exercises by body part / equipment type, use a preset workout or create your own. I find it really useful with my weight training, I just choose 2 -3 exercises per body part and I am getting a different workout every time which keeps it interesting too :-)
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Sometimes you can get good deals on buying free weights online - I was just looking on amazon.co.uk for myself, and while some are expensive, there are also some pretty cheap sets of weights with good reviews. Less than the price of one month of gym membership. Just another option - and because it's a one-off payment rather than a monthly payment to a gym, it's something you could potentially save up for over a few months.
  • thebigcb
    Options
    Cheap weghts - Argos
  • Mdin1029
    Mdin1029 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michael's dvd's (only $10 at Target). I use No More Trouble Zones for strength. I also think 30 Day Shred and Ripped in 30 are good for strength although they also include cardio.
  • quitmakingexcuses
    Options
    What was your gym routine?

Monday: Back
    Tues: Shoulders
    Weds: Chest
    Thurs: Arms (might need a couple, but I have a general idea of what to do)
    Fri: rest from weights
    Sat: Legs (don't really need help with this one)

If you're talking about specific names of exercises I couldn't really tell you, but I used a lot of free weights and a couple machines here and there.
  • JosieRawr
    JosieRawr Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • thebigcb
    Options
    When I work out at home I do 8 sets of 20seconds, with a 10 second break of each of the following exercises. One minute break after the 8sets and then onto the next exercise

Lunges
    Skipping
    Jumping Jacks
    Burpees
    Sit ups
    Push Ups
    Dips
    Squats
    Plank
    Bridge
    Back extension
    Leg raiser

You could do the same but split/change the exercises and duration

So monday = Back(core). Bridge, Plank(superman them maybe), back etensions, Mountain Climber, Burpees

Tues = Shoulders Seated shoulder press, Arm Raisers(arms from waist to shoulder holing arms straight), Inverted push ups

Wed = Push up, elevate it, the hands one, Chest curls and bench press(just do them on the floor)

Thursday = Hundreds you can do

Trick about with them a bit, just a general idea
  • quitmakingexcuses
    Options
    When I work out at home I do 8 sets of 20seconds, with a 10 second break of each of the following exercises. One minute break after the 8sets and then onto the next exercise

Lunges
    Skipping
    Jumping Jacks
    Burpees
    Sit ups
    Push Ups
    Dips
    Squats
    Plank
    Bridge
    Back extension
    Leg raiser

You could do the same but split/change the exercises and duration

So monday = Back(core). Bridge, Plank(superman them maybe), back etensions, Mountain Climber, Burpees

Tues = Shoulders Seated shoulder press, Arm Raisers(arms from waist to shoulder holing arms straight), Inverted push ups

Wed = Push up, elevate it, the hands one, Chest curls and bench press(just do them on the floor)

Thursday = Hundreds you can do

Trick about with them a bit, just a general idea

Awesome. Thanks for helping me get the ball rolling! Writing up a list/routine now.
  • Tenar13
    Tenar13 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I found this site which has an at home routine.

http://www.freetrainers.com/account/password_reset/done/
  • quitmakingexcuses
    Options
    I found this site which has an at home routine.

http://www.freetrainers.com/account/password_reset/done/

Oh my god! This is a goldmine! Thanks c: