low carbs or low calories?? best diet and exercise combo?

Options
I need to lose 18lbs to my ideal weight for function in a 2months time, whats the best diet and exercise combo?

Replies

• caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    18 pounds in 2 months?

get lipo.

low carb will drop water weight fast (and after 2 weeks i 'feel' thinner), but if you're small (and 20 pounds isn't much) it will take longer than 2 months to drop much fat.

i'd say lower carbs (30 grams per meal, or even true keto) and 30 day shred with a few other things mixed in like walking, swimming, sports, whatever.
  • minkakross
    minkakross Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    eat less move more... low carb and low calorie are not exclusive of each other. Low carb is good for some people especially those who are insulin resistant but if you process carbs well then they don't matter so long as you are burning more than you take in.
  • cherriegh
    cherriegh Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    planning on exercising 4times a week and strength training, its really more about my size and definition then the scale, tried atkins lost a lot but gained it all back because i went on a carb binge now looking for a sustainable plan
  • impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    My advice is to set a more realistic weight loss goal -- maybe .5 to 1 pound per week -- and make this a lifetime thing instead of just losing weight for an event. Eat lots of protein, and do strength training in addition to any cardio you do. More cardio is not always the answer. Eat at least your BMR in calories, but of course less than your TDEE (BMR plus daily activity, including normal lifestyle stuff and exercise). Drink plenty of water. Cut out sugary drinks. Losing 18 lbs. in 2 months, when you're already close to your goal weight, is going to be extremely difficult to do in a healthy manner. But losing at a steady rate, and changing your lifestyle to ensure you can keep it off, will be better for you, and you'll still have made a significant improvement by the time your event rolls around.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    planning on exercising 4times a week and strength training, its really more about my size and definition then the scale, tried atkins lost a lot but gained it all back because i went on a carb binge now looking for a sustainable plan

If you are at all out of shape ... nothing will drop inches faster than exercise. Losing inches is MORE important than the number on a scale (IMO). Take your measurements up front .... it really is an eye opener.

Yes, look for "lifestyle" changes, something you can sustain for a lifetime. I can't sustain low carb, but I'm smarter about my carb choices. When you reduce the number of calories you take in, you need to make them count.

Protein, fiber, and healthy fats help keep you full. Look for less processed carbs, these will retain their natural fiber & protein (whole grains, vegetables & fruits).
  • rhondagraymond
    Options
    I dropped 19 pounds in about 8 weeks on a low carb diet (http://www.dukandiet.com/) combined with the Jillan Michael’s 30 day shred. It worked really well for me because I between work and home, I have no time to actually go OUT and enroll in a gym or something. So I’d work out at home, eat less of carbs and more of proteins. My meals usually included some kind of meat- chicken, eggs, fish, lean meat along with healthy, non-starchy veggies and fruits. Stir-fries, soups and salads.