burnt calories after exercise

Options
Ok so when i enter ive walked slow pace for 1hr it says ive burnt 171 calories, my heart rate monitor says 163 calories. so basically the same, but i know you burn calories after exercising too so should i keep heart rate monitor on for a certain period or just ignore then calorie?

Replies

• LisaWilson2012
    LisaWilson2012 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    If you're doing low intensity cardio which is what it sounds like, you stop burning calories basically as soon as you stop. If you were doing HIIT (interval training) you'd burn for a few hours after. However, doing weight training, you continue to burn calories for up to 36 hours after you've finished your workout. The reason is that the muscle tissue must regenerate and recover and to do this calories must be burned. Something to think about next time you're wondering what exercise to do!
  • jmhurley87
    Options
    so if im walking ill just take hrm off after but if im doing hard training should i leave it on? i do a jillian micheals dvd and i do it for about 30minutes its running then strengh running strengh ect ect.
  • LisaWilson2012
    Options
    I personally only count the calories I burn during my workout. Anything else is a bonus!

The DVD sounds perfect with strength training.

Good luck xx
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    What you are saying about burning afterwards is true. But, I wouldn't eat back those calories.
  • jmhurley87
    Options
    Nagh i would eat back them calories, i dont tend to eat back the calories i burn unless i feel i need to
  • LisaWilson2012
    Options
    Nagh i would eat back them calories, i dont tend to eat back the calories i burn unless i feel i need to

Totally agree.