"healthy weight" versus "ideal weight" ranges

Options
Has anyone ever looked at the difference between the scores for "healthy weight" versus "ideal weight"?

http://www.weightlossresources.co.uk/body_weight/healthy_weight/chart.htm

http://www.weightlossresources.co.uk/logout/news_features/idealweight.htm
http://www.brianmac.co.uk/idealw.htm

As you can see the range for "ideal" is much narrower than for "healthy".

At 5'6" my "healthy" range is between 122 pounds and 155 pounds, but the "ideal" weight range is between 116 pounds and 147 pounds.

So I weighed this morning, happy to have lost another 2.4 pounds (now 16lb down) and at 156lb just a pound away from being in the "normal" range again... or so I thought... until I saw the ideal range which suggests I am overweight until I get to 147 pounds?

What do you go by? Healthy or ideal?!

Replies

• HannahsReturnToFitness
    Options
    I was looking at the difference only yesterday.

I personally go for healthy. I'm 5"6, 145.5 lb and have a BMI of 23.38 at the minute.

Ideal weight varies from website to website. On some I am under my "ideal" weight but on others they recommend an ideal weight of around 133lbs.

I think we have to listen to our bodies and what we see in the mirror. For me personally, I believe anything less than 140lb would not be right for me. At 133lb I would be all bone and not much else!

Healthy weight is the way to go!!
  • Kara_xxx
    Kara_xxx Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    I was a little taken aback by the suggestion if 116 pounds at the low end of "ideal". My lowest racing weight was around 125 pounds and I was starting to look a bit gaunt. God knows what I'd look like at 116 pounds at my height. :noway:
  • MonkeyBars
    MonkeyBars Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    body type does mess with the numbers, you need to address your skeletal muscle vs your frame. The scaffolding makes a difference with how much meat you can pack on it ;)

I think some body builders can look fantastic, others look ridiculous. You need to see what looks right for you ;)

Composition makes a difference, but I too suffer from gaunt mode if I go below 80kgs (187cm). My face loses too much!

Experiment, use the mirror, take photos (we look different in photos compared to the mirror)!

Try a weight for 4-6 weeks, see how it feels, is it strong, comfy, sporty?
  • ms_walker
    ms_walker Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Just had a look at that first ideal weight chart and have to say its a bit ridiculous. At my lowest weight of 65kg (172cm) my doctor told me not to lose anymore and my pelvic bones stuck out and hurt if a bag bounched against them. According to that chart even at that weight I'm above my "ideal weight". BMI isn't great, but it way better than whatever calculation or resource they've used.
  • TinaDay1114
    TinaDay1114 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    I was a little taken aback by the suggestion if 116 pounds at the low end of "ideal". My lowest racing weight was around 125 pounds and I was starting to look a bit gaunt. God knows what I'd look like at 116 pounds at my height. :noway:

I agree -- on these charts, I'm ALWAYS listed as "overweight" or above normal, even now, at my low end (136 lbs. ) I don't think I've been below 135 since I hit puberty, so I can't imagine getting down to the "low" end of these charts -- 112!?!?! I think I'd look like a prison camp survivor. :noway:
  • vypeters
    vypeters Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I think you and I are the same height, since I have those same ranges.

I'm large framed and look a little boney at 143. I'd actually like to get back closer to 150 except for the part about gaining back some of the weight I've lost being scary at this point. But if I do it slowly as I'm building muscle I think it'll be fine.

So I think it depends on your frame, your muscle mass and within the range of healthy I'd say some of it is preference.
  • jcpmoore
    jcpmoore Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    I don't even look at the lower end of those ranges anymore. I remember when 116 lbs was considered the low-end of normal for MY weight of 5'3". I was that weight and I looked scary. What on earth are they basing this on anyway? They used to base all the tables on men-I presume they've changed THAT at least by now. But really-check with your doctor for what's healthy for YOU. Not your weight- YOU.
  • beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options

Hahahaha I'm 5'6 and my lean body mass currently is 119 lbs :/

I guess you'd have to have a very small frame for 5'6 and 116bs.
  • blonde71
    blonde71 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I used to be 113 lbs. at 5'6" and started looking sick almost. Now I'm at a healthier weight of 123 lbs. - still a bit light on paper but I feel much better and people tell me I look healthy again. I am small-framed so I can't imagine being on the high side of what's considered healthy for people at my height. I say, everyone's different - whatever works for you.
  • lauren3382
    lauren3382 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I don't really follow those things. I'm 119 at 5'6" and if you look at my pictures I don't look unhealthy (at least in my opinion). I guess I just have a pretty small frame. I'm working on muscle building and lifting heavy, so the scale has actually gone up a bit over the past couple months.
  • ninakir88
    ninakir88 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4 and 120 right now.
    When I was 110, I looked unhealthy. 150-160 was too much.
  • marie_cressman
    marie_cressman Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    I am going by body fat percentage. I am already in the "normal" for my body fat percentage, but I am 30lbs over weight almost (I'm 183lbs). I am the same height you are and my ultimate goal weight is 160lbs. Now, that can change at any time, but as I get closer I'll decide if that is ok for me. :)
  • ninakir88
    ninakir88 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I don't really follow those things. I'm 119 at 5'6" and if you look at my pictures I don't look unhealthy (at least in my opinion). I guess I just have a pretty small frame. I'm working on muscle building and lifting heavy, so the scale has actually gone up a bit over the past couple months.

Nope, you look really healthy to me.
  • MSimm62385
    MSimm62385 Posts: 227
    Options
    Hmm looks like for men it shaves off the bottom half of "healthy" for the "ideal" chart. So the weight I've been shooting for meets both goals!
  • tas3980
    tas3980 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I don't use either of these, except take a guide every now and then to see if my BMI is decreasing... while is good to use these as a "guide", everyone is different... different bone density/size, different shape etc etc so personally, I think it is dependent on how you feel at the weight you are, not the numbers dictated in a generic chart.

I am 167 (or just under 5'6") as well but have large bones and an apple shape... being the suggested 50-69 kilos (112 - 151lbs) would make me look gaunt and sickly... around 80kgs (176lbs) is a good look on me (even if I say so myself) :smile: Just have 18 kgs to rekindle that happiness.
  • nancycola
    nancycola Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Interesting. I was 110 in my early 20's and my Japanese boss told me I looked too thin. I thought that was a sign.
    My mother would just about cry telling me I was wasting away. But she's melodramatic anyway.

I'm shooting for 115 which is just about 5 lbs. away. I've seen that my ideal weight is 110. I'm waiting to see what 115 looks and feels like before going lower.

Damn those last 10 lbs.!
  • laurasimmons
    laurasimmons Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Wow I am surprised by the differences between the two. I would definitely go with the healthy weight chart.
  • chickentunashake
    chickentunashake Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I was looking at the difference only yesterday.

I personally go for healthy. I'm 5"6, 145.5 lb and have a BMI of 23.38 at the minute.

Ideal weight varies from website to website. On some I am under my "ideal" weight but on others they recommend an ideal weight of around 133lbs.

I think we have to listen to our bodies and what we see in the mirror. For me personally, I believe anything less than 140lb would not be right for me. At 133lb I would be all bone and not much else!

Healthy weight is the way to go!!

I'm 5'6" and weigh 117 pounds. Am not bony at all, would say very muscular and lean. My pictures would show that to you. I was 136 pounds after my 6th child was born, and I looked overweight, for my standard anyways
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    I always feel as if the numbers on the scale don't mean a thing. What is MOST important is how much body fat you have, in relation to your overall weight (Body fat percentage, or BF%).

For men, you want to between 5 and 25% BF, women it's 13 and 32%. If you're in that range, you're fine, regardless of how much you weigh. Now, that low number is essential fats. To try to get to that point is EXTREMELY hard, and even elite athletes never strive to go that low. You do need SOME fat in your body, aside from the "essential fat."

I'm aiming for 21% BF right now, and will aim for 10-15%, once I've gotten serious about competing in marathons. At my current weight and BF%, 21% BF will put me at around 178 lbs. That's definitely at the high end of what is considered "healthy," but I have a large frame for my height. I have accepted that I will always be a heavy guy.
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    I go by healthy. But, here's my thing- this is based off BMI which provides only a narrow view into healthy body weight. You can be a muscular 175 with 12% body fat, but if you're a certain height than you're overweight or obese. I only say this to point out that there are more factors out there to consider. :)