How sore is too sore?

Options
So for the first time in a couple of months, I did a full-body workout on Tuesday night. Pull-ups, squats, bench press, rows, calf extensions and dips. Yesterday, I could barely walk and had to force myself to make it my rest day. Today, still much soreness throughout my body.

I have taken some Ibuprofen, stretched countless times and got plenty of sleep last night. Tonight, I am supposed to repeat the routine I did on Tuesday (doing it 3 times a week). Should I still complete the exercises, even with the soreness or should I just do some cardio instead.

What is your rule of thumb on soreness and when to workout again?

Replies

• yaryrosa
    yaryrosa Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert, at all in the matter, but what I usually do is I work different parts of the body on different days, so they dont hurt all at once. Then, if it hurts all over, I do cardio instead. But I won't skip more than a day or two. I usually find the muscles don't hurt as much after they are all warmed up. And the hurt goes away pretty quickly in a few days.
  • xunleashed
    xunleashed Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    That is what I am used to doing, different muscles each day, but I wanted to go a different route with this new approach and do a full-body split, three days a week. Seems harder than I thought, maybe because I have never done it before also.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Exercise actually helps with soreness, quite a lot.
    Just take a day of rest, or light cardio. Do some push ups/body weight squats/lunges. Go for a walk. Loosen things up, get blood flowing.

The foam roller is basically made of magic, too.

If you're still sore on your next workout day, no problem. Do it anyway. You'll feel better for it.

You'll get over it quick, too. Eventually you won't get sore, and maybe wish you did.
  • jonwv
    jonwv Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    i work out 6 days a week more/less 3 days of strength every other day and 3 days of cardio. I take protein shakes no later than an hour after my stength days. For me the protein seems to work.
  • tubaman58
    tubaman58 Posts: 151
    Options
    If you are so sore you cannot workout for a couple of days, that would not be good. I look for a little stiffness, or some isolated soreness....
  • jrs5444
    jrs5444 Posts: 86
    Options
    Exercise actually helps with soreness, quite a lot.
    Just take a day of rest, or light cardio. Do some push ups/body weight squats/lunges. Go for a walk. Loosen things up, get blood flowing.

^Awesome advice! =)
  • xNJAx
    xNJAx Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    In my experience, exercising despite the soreness actually improves it! I can be aching like mad from head to toe, wincing when moving from sitting to standing and vice versa, but once I've finished the day's workout I feel great. You need to get blood flowing to the aching parts, plus get lots of protein to help them recover. Just don't give up and use it as a reason NOT to exercise - you'll feel so much better if you keep going and the aches won't last as long. :)
  • emmoen1
    emmoen1 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I would suggest same routine but less intensity until the soreness goes down. So decrease reps or weight a little.
  • jtslim42
    jtslim42 Posts: 240
    Options
    As long as it is just muscle soreness and you have not pulled or strained anything then I ALWAYS work thru my soreness. It definitely helps the following day. Have fun!
  • xunleashed
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone. It's not like I can't bend my arms or legs, it's soreness. I will work thru it with some pullups, pushups, dips, chinups, rows and squats!
  • wolfpack77
    wolfpack77 Posts: 655
    Options
    You're sore all over because you did to many exercises in one session. Full body workouts are fine but I would never do more than one heavy compound exercise at once. Your body needs time for recovery and you dont need to do so many exercises at once.

It can take me a week to recover from one session of heavy squats or deadlifts. I couldnt imagine trying to recover from squats, dips and bench press all in one workout. My recovery time would be painfully slow and I wouldnt want to workout at all!

If you are still sore its because you havent recovered yet. I DO NOT recommend strength training until your recover. This leads to overtraining. Give it a few days to rest, your body will thank you for it later by showing its become stronger. In the mean time, stretch and do some light cardio for the soreness.

Muscles are built out of the gym, not in it. R&R is extremely important.
  • xunleashed
    Options
    Wolf, what do you suggest for the routine? Which should I cut out? Rows, bench, squats or do you mean just do them on different days?
  • TheDeviation
    Options
    You'll be fine. Nothing's broken or bleeding right?

Push through and you'll be happy you did. As was said above, your routine could be the issue too.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    So for the first time in a couple of months, I did a full-body workout on Tuesday night. Pull-ups, squats, bench press, rows, calf extensions and dips. Yesterday, I could barely walk and had to force myself to make it my rest day. Today, still much soreness throughout my body.

I have taken some Ibuprofen, stretched countless times and got plenty of sleep last night. Tonight, I am supposed to repeat the routine I did on Tuesday (doing it 3 times a week). Should I still complete the exercises, even with the soreness or should I just do some cardio instead.

What is your rule of thumb on soreness and when to workout again?

Fish oil.

Never take ibuprofen.

Look into www.stronglifts.com for a good beginner routine you can use for at least a year.
    Starting strength also has a good beginner program.

Both programs need body weight work so youll need to incorporate dips, chins and pushups on those body part days.

Dont take ibuprofen when you are sore from working out though.
    It hinders recovery.
    Fish oil!
  • wolfpack77
    wolfpack77 Posts: 655
    Options
    Wolf, what do you suggest for the routine? Which should I cut out? Rows, bench, squats or do you mean just do them on different days?

You should stick to body part specialization on different days of the week. If you are doing compound exercises with significant weight, dont hit them more than once a week. A common split is M-W-F where you hit back biceps (pulling exercises) on one day, chest and triceps (pushing exercises) another day, and legs (squats) on the third day. You can do cardio on two of the off days such as tues and thurs if you want, but no more than that. 5x a week is the most you should be working out, especially if you're rountines include strength training 3 of those days. You need the remaining 2 days for R&R with little or NO exercise.

I only train 3x week and I never do cardio. The training sessions are short, heavy and intense. I need the rest of the week for recovery.

As far as the routines themselves, I keep it to two or three exercises, not more than 10 or 12 sets total. With weight training its quality not quantity. Just make the sets count and lift heavy. As mentioned Stronglifts or Starting Strength are excellent starter routines and will explain these concepts in more depth.

The worst thing you can do is overtrain. Understanding your limits is important.
  • xunleashed
    Options
    Thanks for the responses, you guys were absolutely right. I worked right thru the soreness, once I got warmed up, I didn't even feel it. I did deadlifts for the first time (maxed out at 145lbs, not sure if that is decent), overhead press and squats (all 5x5)

According to my HRM, 90 minutes of working out burned me around 1400 calories with an average heart rate of 156.
  • Ekoria
    Ekoria Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Yup I find it doesn't matter how much I hurt if I go again whilst I am sore it actually helps me to feel better in the long run. I guess it stops me from getting stiff. Good luck :)
  • TheDeviation
    Options
    Thanks for the responses, you guys were absolutely right. I worked right thru the soreness, once I got warmed up, I didn't even feel it. I did deadlifts for the first time (maxed out at 145lbs, not sure if that is decent), overhead press and squats (all 5x5)
    As long as you're progressing, it's decent. Don't worry about what the guy/gal next to you is lifting.
  • raygunn_viola
    raygunn_viola Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    probably not what you want to hear, but doing a light exercise will actually help the soreness to go away
  • elle2bee
    elle2bee Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    If it's just your typical soreness, then yes, continue your work out routien. Even the very next day. 2nd day soreness is nothing compared to after 48 hour soreness. Get ahead of the 3rd day soreness and work out the next day to prevent from having one horrible day of pain on your 3rd day. Of course you are going to hurt through the work out and maybe not even be able to go 100%, but the worse thing to do is be inactive. This will stiffen your muscles and cause more sorness. After each workout, make sure you do no more than 30 minutes of a cool down. Like a walk, then make sure you drink at least 32 oz of water. A luke warm to even cool bath with epson salt before bed will help with pain and inflamation. This will cool your muscles down properly and rehydrate them for less soreness. My trainer with 23 years of experience from Camp Gladiator just broke this down for me last night. I'm sore, but not like I thought I was going to be. I followed her isntructions exactly. I go back to my 2nd boot camp tonight and pretty sure I will be a mess, but there is not way I'm going to home to rest and stiffen up. Good luck.