Sore foot

Options
Hi,
I only joined this site yesterday, I have just started doing the couch to 5 k.
I ran my first day of week two yesterday, and today have woke up with a sore big toe : ( the joint feels bruised and hurts to walk on.

Has anybody ever had this? will it go soon? its my rest day today but im supposed to run again tomorrow.

I am thinking maybe I need some new trainers, but I just cant afford them yet : (

jenny

Replies

• scandiebirdie
    scandiebirdie Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Ice it and rest it!
    Then instead of running tomorrow, take a ( long) walk and see how it feels. If it's starts getting sore, stop! (Speaking from experience and getting a nasty heel spur back in January because I did the opposite of the above and just kept running...) All fine now, but put me back 2 months.
    Good luck - and welcome onboard! :)
  • Jennyprano
    Jennyprano Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your advice, I will do just that, I am off to buy some new trainers today too, but I wont be running again until the pain has gone.

Disappointing though because I felt so good after my run yesterday : ( never mind

I think its a really good site this, I don't know what i'm doing properly yet but ill get there : )

Thanks again
  • SlenderSuze
    SlenderSuze Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Please rest. I did the same thing and ended up with a fractured sesamoid. Have spent weeks in an air cast, then a special sandal and now 10 weeks later am in cross trainers with special inserts. The ortho doc says it will be another 4- 6 weeks before getting back to running. So I've basically been sidelined since mid May except for some upper body work. I have found it very diificult to have satisfying meal days without those extra calories earned from exercise and have really missed that runners boost of feel good hormones. Was actually depressed the first few weeks off. I've just now discovered deep water jogging so am finally back to getting some cardio and burining a few calories. Good luck. I hope that ice and rest will take care of it.
  • reddi2roll
    reddi2roll Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Try riding a bike until your foot is better. Ice it 4-5x/day and if you have no contraindications take Ibuprofen with food for a couple of days. The biking will allow you to exercise without stressing the foot.
  • chedges9090
    chedges9090 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I LOVE C25k ! I just got done with the training and am just adding a little distance so that I can run my first 5k in Sept (cause I want to make sure I am really ready)- But .. your toe-- or your knees, ankles.. etc. When they are sore. stop.. skip a day. rest. ICE ICE ICE. Stretch. Yes .. even your toes. Try picking up small objects with your toes.. it is a good stretch. Invest in really good shoes. AND, I couldn't believe the $ I spent on shoes..but they also sold me an insert for my shoes (i have no arch problems) and i cannot believe what a difference they made! (and , just so you know, I am not wealthy.. at all.. spending that much $ on shoes was a big deal for me.)

oh.. and on the c25k-- do what they say. do not jump ahead!! if anything..stay on your current week an extra day or so...but do not jump ahead. there is a definite method to their madness !!

Good Luck.. if you want to add me as a friend.. please do. would love to hear about your C25k as you go thru it :tongue:
  • drgndancer
    drgndancer Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Sadly the most likely culprit is that your trainers are slightly too small. You usually want to get then half a size to a size larger than your normal shoe size for running. You really want to go to a specialty running store and get a fitting and gait analysis (not a big box store, a specialty shop). They can help you get the right thing. Expect to spend around $100 US. The good news is that this is really the only serious expense for a beginning runner.

Since you can't afford to do that right away, try ice and a day of rest. When you try to run again pay attention to the foot and see if you can notice any curling or other form oddities around the foot. It's certainly possible that a form issue is causing your pain, but most times toe pain seems to be from shoes being a little too small.
  • jrax1
    jrax1 Posts: 6
    Options
    Hi,
    I only joined this site yesterday, I have just started doing the couch to 5 k.
    I ran my first day of week two yesterday, and today have woke up with a sore big toe : ( the joint feels bruised and hurts to walk on.

Has anybody ever had this? will it go soon? its my rest day today but im supposed to run again tomorrow.

I am thinking maybe I need some new trainers, but I just cant afford them yet : (

jenny

Could be sesamoiditis, if the pain is under your big toe and on the ball of your foot (medial) and pushing off is painful. Rest is indicated for sesamoiditis, with a follow-up with doc if pain persists.
  • Jennyprano
    Options
    No not under big toe, i'm just prodding around my foot now and the only way i can describe where it hurts is, just under where your big toe starts on the front of your foot looking down, when i put my thumb on and push slightly, thats where it feels bruised, I have to say its feeling much better today.
    Hate talking about feet : ( ha ha

Very tempted to run today, : ( but have a feeling I shouldn't
  • Jennyprano
    Options
    well I cant afford to go to special running shop yet, but i did buy some running shoes yesterday in a size up from what I would normally wear, : ) lets hope this helps a bit , thanks for replying and your advice
  • Jennyprano
    Options
    Thankyou, i will do X
  • Jennyprano
    Options
    Reddi2roll

think somethings up with my computer and it looks like i'm posting random stuff, but i'm trying to reply to you all : ) that's why i'm putting your user name at the top of this, thank you, I don't have a bike though : (
    maybe i could go for a swim ? ; D
  • Jennyprano
    Options
    thankyou slendersuze,

I hope its not that bad, I will not run today even though I'm very tempted, its pretty hot here in bolton (manchester/uk) today, a whopping 20degres : )
    I bought Nike Downshifter 4 womens running shoes in a size up and they feel a lot better, my other trainers were nearly 5 years old.