Your better half..

Options
fcp1234
fcp1234 Posts: 1,098 Member
Is your better half into fitness too?

When I met my husband 5 years ago I was in the best shape of my life and he was a competitor eater. I was having yogurt for dinner and he was shoving 10 lbs of food down his throat in minutes. When we moved in together the biggest argument we had was that yogurt was not dinner food (what??). Anyway, I have changed my eating habits since then but still I don’t like food the way he does. I mean he is not overweight by any means; he is 6’3 and 220 lbs and in good shape (still has muscles from his 20s when he used to work out)

Does your partner work out too? Does he/she have the same eating habits? How does that affect you?

Replies

• Lone_Wolf70
    Lone_Wolf70 Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options
    My wife is 5'8 128 & could eat a turkey and lose 2lbs....its not fair lol
  • HisPixie
    HisPixie Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    My husband needs to lose 30 pounds. He's on two blood pressure medications and a statin. He's at risk. He works out 2 or 3 times a week but he doesn't really modify his eating habits. He doesn't THINK he eats as much as he does and most of his snacks are "healthy"--but too much! And I find peanut butter cup wrappers at his desk (works at home) and he comes upstairs for a snack at least every 2 hours. I wish he'd track his calories but he thinks he knows what he's eating.

He lost 30 pounds the first year we were dating (we just married in September at the ages of 52 & 54). But it's come back. :( It scares me but I don't want to nag. I'm trying to set the example. As a nurse I see all the horrendous complications of obesity. And I want my new husband to be around for me for a long time.
  • slliwlt
    slliwlt Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    My husband is working out with me! I love it! My last dr visit was a little scary & I was told if I didn't get my cholesterol & bad cholesterol #'s down I would be going on meds. At 37, that wasn't something I even wanted to consider. My half-@ssed attempts at losing weight & eatting healthy before are now being taken a little more serious! When I shared my news with my hubby-he jumped right on board with me! We go for bike rides, walks, paddle boating & are trying to learn healthier ways to shop/cook/eat! It is really so awesome & I've never felt more 'in tuned' with him! 8-)
  • ItsDawnMarie
    ItsDawnMarie Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    My Husband wants to lose about 40 pounds but its so easy for him, He is very active with his regular job and he also plays drums in a band so that's excellent exercise. We were working out together a few days a week but he is in the process of starting up his own business so it's been crazy busy!
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    My husband recently lost 45 lbs and has approximately 30 more to go to hit his healthy weight. Right now he's not working out, but I think that will change not too far into the future. He just quit smoking last week, so I am not pushing him too hard right now. He also has muscular dystrophy , so there are a lot of things he isn't physically capable of doing.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    I am the better half.

Kidding. Don't have one.
  • LonLB
    LonLB Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    My wife does. She doesn't have the same kind of commitment as I do, but she does try, and we eat much better together, by eating together.

She has lost 10lbs so far.
  • Amryfal
    Amryfal Posts: 225
    Options
    my sweetie is slightly overweight, but maintains it without gaining most times. it bothers him, but not enough to do anything about it. he's going to start creeping up eventually and realize it, but until then, i can't change him. he hates exercise, hates the outdoors, and is the world's most ridiculously picky eater. he would live on ramen, pizza, spaghetti, potatoes, and hamburger helper if i wasn't here to occasionally cook chicken and steak the way he likes it. i adjust my cooking habits around him, change recipes or add healthy side dishes for myself, and put up with him. his worst habit is bringing me my favorite candy when i'm feeling cranky...not to purposely sabotage me, but just because he knows that sour patch kids will never fail to make me smile. at least i can generally eat them in moderation and put the box away for later, usually.
  • laurie571
    laurie571 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    mine is. hes in the air force and fitness is a priority to them, so he got me into going to the gym with him
  • specialkyc
    specialkyc Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm the better half :wink: , but if you're referring to my husband, he needs to lose a few pounds and thinks that sitting in a sauna is the way to accomplish this. I'll just let him think that and I'll continue what I'm doing. I've tried telling him to work out and count calories, which he doesn't eat much anyway, but he works 2 jobs and doesn't have much time for himself. I guess I'll just let him be for now.
  • TxAngel79
    TxAngel79 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    My husband is very fit! He actually wants to gain some weight and bulk up! He can eat what he wants and not worry about gaining a pound! We eat mostly healthy foods together, however we can not work out together! He seems to think I'm one of the firefighters he helps train! I can't stand being yelled at and pushed to the extreme! I do hope one day, we will be able to work out together!
  • jen_bd6
    jen_bd6 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    The better half would be me :laugh: I kid...

He is not into fitness at all. He could stand to lose weight, but isn't interested in exercise or watching what he eats. He will have to come to his motivation on his own terms, I guess. He isn't very good about packing a healthy lunch... like today, he packed a yogurt, 100 calorie pack, a serving of crackers and 2 tangerines... to which I had to fix because that's not enough... so took out the crackers and added a sandwich with mustard on whole wheat bread... He does eat what I fix for dinner, and I only give him so much (no seconds in my house) You can't push someone to be healthy and exercise ... they have to make that decision for themselves. I plan on gently suggesting coming up with a meal plan together and having "quick grab items" ready and prepared in the fridge so that he can just grab and go.
  • maureenec
    maureenec Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    My husband is overweight, a light smoker, and a complete non-exerciser. It's been a challenge for me not to nag him, but I'm hoping my good example will eventually prevail. It's been years though, so maybe not:)

Last night I made a recipe from skinnytaste for dinner, and he made his own dinner with about 5 times the fat and calories. Oh well. I'm glad he has a good life insurance policy!
  • Angie__1MR
    Angie__1MR Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    My man has always been very athletic, strong and muscular, I'm working on putting 30 pounds on him...bigger is better :)
  • apedeb09
    apedeb09 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Nope my husband doesn't work out.. Then again, he DOES walk around all day at a hospital (where he works) so I guess I wouldn't wanna work out either if I were on my feet all day like him... But he's also a heavy smoker, so that's his excuse when I ask him if he'll work out with me. Other than that, he usually does eat what I eat for the most part.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    We go to the gym together so yeah, he's into fitness too.
  • TaylorsGranddad
    TaylorsGranddad Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    my better half, has lost 3 stone and trys to run..... Oh and kicked me out 2 weeks ago :frown:
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    I'd love a gf who was into fitness or some kind of sport that required good all round fitness levels.
  • lisahale
    lisahale Posts: 56
    Options
    My husband is in pretty good shape besides his small beer gut.. :)) We work out together now and love it , but he can still eat whatever he wants and doesn't gain anything .
  • spicypepper
    spicypepper Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    mine is not into fitness. He has such a high metabolism it's sickening. :( He can look at food and lose weight. I on the other hand, was not blessed in this department and I have to work to stay healthy.