Wedding present help!

Options
SuffolkSally
SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
Help with ideas please!

Two long-standing friends who are in their 40's marrying. They have both been married before, have a house each, and more "stuff" than they know what to do with.

They don't intend to keep either house long term, so no plants for the garden, which is a shame as in these situations I generally buy a tree or a rosebush or something.

They've asked for no presents but I want to get them something, just no idea what...

She hates the way she looks so photos/cartoons etc are out.

Currently I'm thinking something like a hot air balloon trip or a spa day (my budget is about £50ish but I could combine with other friends to bump this up)

I'd really appreciate creative ideas... for those of you who are married, what present did you most like?

Replies

• jad54
    jad54 Posts: 192
    Options
    In my experience, when a couple say they don't want anything, it means they want money and just don't want to be too forward about it. That said, I think a hot air balloon ride would be an awesome, much appreciated gift.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    I'd like a hot balloon ride.

And I disagree that "no gift" means "send money please," especially for financially established couples.
  • SuffolkSally
    Options
    LOL - no they seriously don't want money!
  • classycouture
    classycouture Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Why don't you paint/design wine glasses for them, along the lines of a Him & Her's concept. You can get creative, and make it a very personalized gift! You can never have too many wine glasses (well, at least I don't think so haha).
  • lniber22
    lniber22 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I think the hot air balloon ride is a fantastic idea! I myself purchased a half off full day rafting trip for a couple I knew. They had a blast and more importantly it was an awesome memory and experience, versus just stuff that may or may not be used a lot.
  • SuffolkSally
    Options
    Why don't you paint/design wine glasses for them, along the lines of a Him & Her's concept. You can get creative, and make it a very personalized gift! You can never have too many wine glasses (well, at least I don't think so haha).

Now that's a great idea I hadn't thought of! I'm cack-handed so couldn't DIY but I could commission... off to google!
  • SyntonicGarden
    SyntonicGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options

If they drink, I'd go with the wine glasses and two bottles of wine from a local winery, in a basket. Maybe some nice small chocolates thrown in too, then wrap the whole thing with the craft cellophane and a ribbon.
  • SuffolkSally
    Options
    I think the hot air balloon ride is a fantastic idea! I myself purchased a half off full day rafting trip for a couple I knew. They had a blast and more importantly it was an awesome memory and experience, versus just stuff that may or may not be used a lot.

Yes I'm thinking they might like it... they live in a seriously boring area though, which is a downside. I'm not sure whether balloon trips over central London are possible - that would be great, but I suspect they're not allowed.
  • SuffolkSally
    Options

If they drink, I'd go with the wine glasses and two bottles of wine from a local winery, in a basket. Maybe some nice small chocolates thrown in too, then wrap the whole thing with the craft cellophane and a ribbon.

Good thought but; these are really close friends - I'll be staying with them over their wedding, and there's a group of us going on holiday together afterwards. Wine will get necked extensively for about a fortnight! And we're in the UK - wine is actually made here but it isn't good. The drinkable stuff is imported
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    How about an experience for them? If they have enough stuff, maybe you could provide them with something to do together. How about a night at a bed & breakfast a few months from now (after the wedding & honeymoon rush)? Or concert tickets, passes to go indoor rock climbing, a trip to a winery, etc?
  • classycouture
    classycouture Posts: 888 Member
    Options

You just made my idea soo much better! I was planning on doing the wine glasses for my friend's wedding, but now I'm also going to add the rest of that in as well! Great idea! Thanks!
  • sixfootaliw
    Options
    We had friends in a similar situation and we had no idea what to get. As we are wedding photographers we gave them our services for the day plus a full album of photos. It saved them hundreds and only cost us the price of the album and printing.

Do you have a skill that you could use to do/make something personal for them? Failing that, I love the idea of an experience day or a weekend away. Who doesn't like weekends away!

Ali
  • SuffolkSally
    Options
    We had friends in a similar situation and we had no idea what to get. As we are wedding photographers we gave them our services for the day plus a full album of photos. It saved them hundreds and only cost us the price of the album and printing.

Do you have a skill that you could use to do/make something personal for them? Failing that, I love the idea of an experience day or a weekend away. Who doesn't like weekends away!

Ali

I wish I had your talent!

The budget is limited - say £50 or so from me, and even IF the group of close friends combine it still only makes £200 - which doesn't buy anything much of a weekend away... Anyway, they have lots of dogs and don't like to leave them. Just as an additional complicating factor!

They're not the most active souls - both very obese, so most activities are out.

I'm beginning to think the hot air ballon trip is quite a good idea after all - I'd dismissed it as too much of a voucher experience/boring idea/too much like a gift token, but maybe if we could get one either over London (which is where we all know one another from, plus it's fashionable because of the Olympics, Jubilee etc) or her home city, which is Liverpool, it might personalise it a bit.
  • jad54
    jad54 Posts: 192
    Options

And I disagree that "no gift" means "send money please," especially for financially established couples.

I must have missed the part that stated they were financially established. No gift may not mean they want money, but nobody turns down money.
  • SuffolkSally
    Options

I must have missed the part that stated they were financially established. No gift may not mean they want money, but nobody turns down money.

Want my bank details? I never turn down money, LOL.

In this particular situation, a gift of money would cause offence.
  • slliwlt
    slliwlt Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I am in a similar situation.... my husband and I are making '*kitten* boards' for the wedding couple! (He is making-I am painting) *kitten* is a popular yard game in my area & the couple always asks us to bring our game over when we do bbq's & such. I LOVE the idea of painted wine glasses-awesome! I will use that myself at some point! You mentioned that they have dogs? How about a coupon-a nice hand written gift certificate that says if they want to go away for the weekend you will take care of thier dogs? (I have 3 dogs & would love that gift myself! Dog boarding gets so expensive!) Or perhaps a picnic basket filled with crackers-meats-cheeses...?
    Good luck! Whatever you decide-I'm sure they will love it... even just for all of the care and thought you are putting into it!
  • krisiepoo
    krisiepoo Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    What about making a donation in their name to a charity that they support?
  • SuffolkSally
    Options
    I am in a similar situation.... my husband and I are making '*kitten* boards' for the wedding couple! (He is making-I am painting) *kitten* is a popular yard game in my area & the couple always asks us to bring our game over when we do bbq's & such. I LOVE the idea of painted wine glasses-awesome! I will use that myself at some point! You mentioned that they have dogs? How about a coupon-a nice hand written gift certificate that says if they want to go away for the weekend you will take care of thier dogs? (I have 3 dogs & would love that gift myself! Dog boarding gets so expensive!) Or perhaps a picnic basket filled with crackers-meats-cheeses...?
    Good luck! Whatever you decide-I'm sure they will love it... even just for all of the care and thought you are putting into it!

Now that's outstandingly brilliant! I've never heard of *kitten* boards but BF is a carpenter and between us we could make some and it would be a truly original gift.
  • meglynne1987
    meglynne1987 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    try www.honeyfund.com this webiste is awesome and the site i am using for my wedding stuff. It's perfect for couples like you mentioned, they can recieve cash or they can recieve gifts towards a honeymoon or even there house payment. just a suggestion.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    gify vouchers for a restaurant so they can have a nice meal? somewhere they like or somewhere they havent tried?!