HELP with 3 running issues if anyone can help!

Options
I have a few issues and i'm hoping some other runners can help me!
1st...SIDE ACHES!! Anyone have suggestions on how to prevent them or stop them? I've tried many things but nothing works.

2nd...Does anyone have any creative ways to keep hydrated during a run. I went out ealy this morning which i normally don't do cause i run on a treadmill, and my throat was so dry it hurt! But i can't carry a water bottle with me! arrrrr.....

3rd...By no means can i afford to get custom made running shoes but my hip was hurting after my run today which in unusual. I don't know if my shoes could be contributing but if so is there more inexpensive way to get quality shoes?? And how do you know if they are quality?

Replies

• lilgemforgets
    Options
    I can help with point 2! I always get thirsty, you can get running 'belts' these hold water bottles and just go around your waist so you dont have to carry!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I have a few issues and i'm hoping some other runners can help me!
    1st...SIDE ACHES!! Anyone have suggestions on how to prevent them or stop them? I've tried many things but nothing works.

Here's a link to an article in runnersworld.com that may help. (http://beginners.runnersworld.com/2009/08/how-do-i-get-rid-of-side-stitches.html) Try slowing down your pace and breathing in a more relaxed manner.
    2nd...Does anyone have any creative ways to keep hydrated during a run. I went out ealy this morning which i normally don't do cause i run on a treadmill, and my throat was so dry it hurt! But i can't carry a water bottle with me! arrrrr.....

Try chewing gum (yes, a disgusting habit but...) it helps you generate saliva. As far as actual hydration goes you should be well hydrated long before you're heading out the door.
    3rd...By no means can i afford to get custom made running shoes but my hip was hurting after my run today which in unusual. I don't know if my shoes could be contributing but if so is there more inexpensive way to get quality shoes?? And how do you know if they are quality?

I don't know anyone who uses custom shoes but a trip to a running specialty store is time well spent. Most of them will only carry decent quality shoes in a range of prices, quite often you can find "last year's" models on sale...they're running shoes, not a car.

Hip pain may also be symptomatic of muscular imbalances. try some of these exercises, they may help

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/1,7120,s6-238-263-266-13852-0,00.html

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/1,7120,s6-241-286--13410-0,00.html

You didn't mention your warmup routine, here's one very similar to what I do - dynamic stretching before you run, static afterward

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/1,7120,s6-241-287--13442-0,00.html
  • gjulie
    gjulie Posts: 391
    Options
    Hi by no means an expert here but I think the pain in your side could be from not breathing properly lack of oxygen getting to the muscles causing a stitch run very gently and when you start to get uncomfortable walk,your shoes should fit well around your ankles and have good support,I hate running on the road because the hardness of the ground hurts my back build it up gently and warm up and stretch I find it vey difficult to drink and run also
  • alysonw
    alysonw Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    With regards to hydration, if you're running for less than one hour, it's more important to be sufficiently hydrated before you leave and you shouldn't need to take anything with you. If you are running first thing, maybe drinking a glass of water immediately before you leave might help. I had problems with my hip too, it was because I wasn't rotating properly and had to do some strength work to build up, one leg squats, step ups with weights, balancing on one leg etc.
  • SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    If you're running an hour or less hydration won't be a physical problem if you've hydrated well before your run - but a sensation of thirst can be really offputting. If your runs are longer than an hour you'll probably want a decent drink. You can stash water along your route - I don't do this as I just imagine it being pee'd on by a dog or something LOL. I use a FuelBelt. It's fantastic. Fits tight and snug on the hips and you can't feel it's there. I also have a backpack water bladder that I use sometimes. It's pretty good but you (and everyone you go by) can hear that water sloshing around. Finally for shorter runs around 1 hour or so I have a couple of very small bottles, maybe 65ml each that I just put in my pockets. They don't bounce around.

With shoes, you probably don't need custom shoes. Get your gait checked out at a good shoe store to ensure you have shoes that support your running gait. You may need to buy new shoes or possibly just some different insoles.

For the side pain are you talking about stitch?
  • MtnKat
    MtnKat Posts: 714
    Options
    1. Sounds like side stitches. I have never gotten a side stitch and I am not a medical expert by any means. But there are a lot of sites that address side stitches and I've seen/heard a lot of people get them and describe exactly what you are describing.

2. I have carried water bottles and used the weight to my advantage. It's really not all that bad. It was like running with barbells. I have also dropped bottles along my route to pick up as I pass by (sometimes I came back later and got them if I wasn't dehydrated). I also have a hydration back pack but I don't use it much. You can also buy a hydration fuel belt. A lot of people seem to be successful with one. The best thing you can do for your run is to be hydrated long before you start your run.

3. I have no professionals around my area so I had to research the best pair of shoes for my type. Go to Runners World and use their shoe finder. It will show you how to determine your arch (brown paper bag test) and give you insight on what pronation you have. You can also video your run (via camera or phone) to see how you pronate. Most of all research - the name brand, quality, read reviews.

The pair of Asics I am wearing now (I love love love them) I found all on my own....brand new, normally $140 for $40. That little bit of work (which I enjoyed anyways lol who doesn't want to look at new shoes? lol) saved me a bunch of money.

If you have a store next to you that will watch you and then show you the types of shoes to buy, then do that. There is no rule that you have purchase shoes just because the sales people helped you pick out a good pair. Then go online or somewhere else and get them at a discount.

Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    #2-I love using the Gatorade Chews. Good luck!
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I always had side stitches while running until I started walking. I know it sounds strange but I think that for me, I had them because my body wasn't yet ready to run. I started walking more, faster and longer and then started running again. Problem solved! No more side stitches. I don't know how long you've been running but maybe you can speed walk or something until you work up to it? I don't know if it would help in your case but it worked for me.
    About the water issue, I get super dehyrdated fast when I run here in the hot/humid midwestern summers. Plus I live out in the country so I HAVE to haul water with me because if I dont take it and I need it, there is no where to get some and I'm screwed. I use a waist belt that holds 2 small bottles of water. You can find them at running shoe stores or probably any sporting goods store. Mine has a small pack on it that I also fill with an ice pack. I turn it around backwards and it rests on my lower back and it helps keep me cool and I hardly notice it's there.
    About shoes, I go to a running store and get fitted for them. They are not custom made but they do scan my feet, watch me walk, run in them, etc to figure out my running 'type', stride, measure my feet and tell me which kind I need. If they don't spend at least an hour with you, they arent worth going to. Yes, it does take time but if your feet hurt, running is a problem. I think I paid about $120.00 for my Brooks running shoes but they were worth every penny. Good luck!
  • smekbeck
    smekbeck Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you for taking the time to write me! I think i will try what you said about the side aches. I hope it works cause they have been ruining my runs badly!!
  • smekbeck
    smekbeck Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your suggestions! IT really helped!!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    1. Sounds like side stitches. I have never gotten a side stitch and I am not a medical expert by any means. But there are a lot of sites that address side stitches and I've seen/heard a lot of people get them and describe exactly what you are describing.

2. I have carried water bottles and used the weight to my advantage. It's really not all that bad. It was like running with barbells. I have also dropped bottles along my route to pick up as I pass by (sometimes I came back later and got them if I wasn't dehydrated). I also have a hydration back pack but I don't use it much. You can also buy a hydration fuel belt. A lot of people seem to be successful with one. The best thing you can do for your run is to be hydrated long before you start your run.

3. I have no professionals around my area so I had to research the best pair of shoes for my type. Go to Runners World and use their shoe finder. It will show you how to determine your arch (brown paper bag test) and give you insight on what pronation you have. You can also video your run (via camera or phone) to see how you pronate. Most of all research - the name brand, quality, read reviews.

The pair of Asics I am wearing now (I love love love them) I found all on my own....brand new, normally $140 for $40. That little bit of work (which I enjoyed anyways lol who doesn't want to look at new shoes? lol) saved me a bunch of money.

If you have a store next to you that will watch you and then show you the types of shoes to buy, then do that. There is no rule that you have purchase shoes just because the sales people helped you pick out a good pair. Then go online or somewhere else and get them at a discount.

Good luck :flowerforyou:

Best advice I have seen yet for running questions. I will add to #1 that I think the most common reason for a stitch in the side is running too fast or too long for your body to handle. I started getting them when I started up the c25k, but I repeated the first week and haven't had a problem since. Know your limits. Don't be afraid to slow to a brisk walk for a couple minutes. Watch your pace. Don't try to go too fast before you've trained your body to do so.

And I totally agree with #3. For people who live near a specialty store or have plenty of money, it's great to get expert advice, but with some good research (free online), you can find a shoe that fits you and isn't very expensive. (Make sure you get a good feel for them when you are in the store.) I am wearing Avia shoes that I got on clearance at Famous Footwear for just under $30. Too many on MFP put way too much emphasis on specialty equipment, forgetting that people were exercising long before those machines and such ever existed.