Any good recipes for ground beef and rice?

Options
WendyTerry420
WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
I'm a day before payday, and I have half a pound of ground beef, some rice, and some broth. All the online recipes I am seeing call for cajun or other spices that my husband can't eat. (He has Crohn's.) Anyone have any suggestions?

Replies

• McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    Toss a can of tomatoes and an onion in there and there you go.
  • Erica27511
    Erica27511 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    Have you ever tried Chili Magic? It's in a can and less than $2.00. You add ground beef to it and that's it.
    High in sodium, but if you aren't watching sodium closely, it's really delicious
  • Diary_Queen
    Diary_Queen Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Not sure what sort of restrictions Crohn's has other than the spicy factors that you mentioned..... but honestly, i'd cook the rice, scramble up the ground meat with just some onion powder and salt/pepper and stuff it into a couple of big tomatoes... bake in the oven until they're all roasted and yummy. I love stuffed tomatoes or stuffed bell peppers!
  • katicasi82
    katicasi82 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I make beef and lentil chilli...served on rice yummy having it with quinoa today!
  • cowgirlashlee
    cowgirlashlee Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Toss a can of tomatoes and an onion in there and there you go.

Add some garlic with the tomatoes and onion and bam. Instant yummy dinner. Or, add some peppers (I prefer green and red when I do this), any seasonings your husband can have without making his Crohns flare up, and call it dirty rice. I had a friend in high school with Crohns, and he was able to eat dirty rice made at home with peppers, the beef and rice, onion, and a little fresh garlic (although, his mom was able to use garlic salt as well, just not much).
  • jonward85
    jonward85 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    you could do a beef fried rice with mixed veggies.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    He can't have chili powder at all. He can do most types of herbal seasoning (thyme, rosemary, basil, oregano) But he can't have any kind of pepper at all. (not even black or white pepper)

We don't have any tomatoes. We have a half an onion and some broth. I'm such a horrible cook. (Part of the reason I gained so much weight is using pre-packaged crap since I don't know how to cook with real food.) We have a frozen bag of mixed veggies. And I have some beef broth. And some cheese. It sounds like I could do a casserole, but I just don't want to screw it up and make it taste horrible. (I have done that more than once, and we end up eating cereal or PBJ for dinner. :blushing: )
  • Roseanna1017
    Roseanna1017 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Make some burgers, and eat them like you would a steak, stir fry the veggies and serve over rice.... Walla, instant yummyness :)
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Make some burgers, and eat them like you would a steak, stir fry the veggies and serve over rice.... Walla, instant yummyness :)

That sounds good.
  • MelissR75
    MelissR75 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    Not sure what sort of restrictions Crohn's has other than the spicy factors that you mentioned..... but honestly, i'd cook the rice, scramble up the ground meat with just some onion powder and salt/pepper and stuff it into a couple of big tomatoes... bake in the oven until they're all roasted and yummy. I love stuffed tomatoes or stuffed bell peppers!
    ^^ either one of these is perfect with the ingrediants you have :)