Classes at the gym???

Options
I just started going to the gym! I've been every day for the last 3 days and I'm stoked!

However, I think it would be fun to do some classes!

Soooo, I would like some advice because I have no idea what I should do!

Anyone with an opinion care to tell me?

In case it helps, I'll let you know my fitness level. I run 12 minute miles but not on a treadmill those things are awful! Currently I only go for about 3 miles but I'm pretty sure I could go longer. I'm also just beginning weight lifting. I started arms on Monday but can only currently bench press 70 and curl 20 (I do more arm workouts than that but I don't think all of that matters) I can do 40 push-up (non-girly) but not after arm day, LMAO! I can also do 100+ crunches. Prior to gym membership I used some pilates DVDs and I also have experience with yoga DVDs.

Sooo, any suggestions?

Replies

• SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    In case it helps, I can post the class schedule, as well so you get an idea of what's offered. However, there are a lot of classes and it's pretty standard stuff.
  • jealous_loser
    Options
    It's hard to suggest things without knowing what kinds of classes your gym offers and if you are more interested in the endurance or cardio type of class.

I do a Tabata class that I really enjoy. It is more endurance than strength (darn 8 lb weights). You do an excercise for 4 min in a cycle of 20 sec work and 10 sec rest. It's an HIIT type class.

People might suggest zumba (I wouldn't, ahahah) or step.
  • ScubaAmyMN
    ScubaAmyMN Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    I think classes are really fun. It depends on your goal, I guess. Are you trying to increase cardio or strength? (Or maybe I should ask which is harder for you to do on your own.) If lifting isn't fun for you, you could take some type of Body Pump class, and start with really light weights (or no weights!) If going out for a run isn't fun for you, maybe you could get some cardio doing Zumba, hip hop, or some type of aerobic class. I also LOVE yoga/pilates type classes, but my place is a power yoga place, so it focuses a lot on strength.

Maybe ask at the gym what they would recommend someone at your fitness level start with? You could also browse the message boards here and see what people have to say about different classes that they like.

Bottom line: you'll never know without trying, so maybe you should commit to trying one or two new classes a week. : )
  • SuperSexyDork
    Options
    Ok, so they offer Body Pump, 3 different types of spin classes, Zumba, BodySTEP Xpress, Cardio Kickbox, Sculpt N Burn, BodyAttack Xpress/Core&Stretch, Upper Cut Rock Bottom, crossTRAIN with an optional ab add on, CSI, Pilates/Yoga FUSION, TBC (Total Body Conditioning), Power Yoga, Body Step, Martial arts, Body Combat, Pilates, and Body Flow

ETA: They also have a few other locations close by that offer more classes and I can go there for those as well, so if you don't see something on here that you think is a good class, suggest it anyway, please!
  • SuperSexyDork
    Options
    I think classes are really fun. It depends on your goal, I guess. Are you trying to increase cardio or strength? (Or maybe I should ask which is harder for you to do on your own.) If lifting isn't fun for you, you could take some type of Body Pump class, and start with really light weights (or no weights!) If going out for a run isn't fun for you, maybe you could get some cardio doing Zumba, hip hop, or some type of aerobic class. I also LOVE yoga/pilates type classes, but my place is a power yoga place, so it focuses a lot on strength.

Maybe ask at the gym what they would recommend someone at your fitness level start with? You could also browse the message boards here and see what people have to say about different classes that they like.

Bottom line: you'll never know without trying, so maybe you should commit to trying one or two new classes a week. : )

Just trying things sounds like a good idea to me.

By the way, I'm interested in both cardio and strength but don't have any issues doing either by myself though.
  • drsdghtr
    drsdghtr Posts: 27
    Options
    If you like to dance, rythm or not, I highly recommend Zumba. You don't need to be coordinated like people may think. Also, it's easy to adjust the steps to particular physical limits you may have. You will find there are a number of common steps used in the routines and they may alter them slightly with each song but you will still know them. If you get to the level of full out really working yourself you will burn a ton of calories and lose inches. Even if you take it at your leisure you will still see big results. The music also makes the time fly and you are having fun!
  • tinytoyjess
    tinytoyjess Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    A lot of people swear by Zumba. I tried it once and didn't love it, but have to try it again. The week I happened to go was school vaca week around here and there were only 4 ppl in the class, and the instructor that day was a sub.

I adore Spinning and am addicted to it. If your gym offers spinning it might be on a separate schedule because it'd be in a cycling studio/room.

Years ago I took a muscle conditioning class that was great but I haven't gotten back into that again recently. I do a lot of that sort of thing at home w/ Jillian Michaels these days.

eta: I see you have spin on your list. Try it; it's great cardio. I've seen some body pump classes going on at my gym and they look good, but I've never gone to one.
  • OfficiallySexyVal
    OfficiallySexyVal Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I personally love Zumba, spinning and Cardio kickboxing! All three of these are great with any fitness level because you can go at your own pace but they also help with your endurance.

I have been doing Zumba and Spinning for since I have started losing weight again and I just started cardio kickbox. So much fun.

I wish I could suggest some strength conditioning classes but I have to look into those myself! Good luck! I am sure you will love the classes no matter what you try!
  • jetabear10
    jetabear10 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    As a person who does a lot of the classes myself, I suggest trying them all. Then you will know which ones you like as well as which instructors. After a month of trying different classes, you will know which ones you are more apt to stick with and which instructors are going to keep you motivated!!

Cheers!

P.S. Zumba is a blast!!
  • amberpaigee
    Options
    I LOVE Body Pump and Body Attack and would totally recommend it! They are amazing, Body Pump has helped tone my body loads! You can do the classes at your own level so it doesn't matter how fit you are :)
  • Anna800
    Anna800 Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    Ok, so they offer Body Pump, 3 different types of spin classes, Zumba, BodySTEP Xpress, Cardio Kickbox, Sculpt N Burn, BodyAttack Xpress/Core&Stretch, Upper Cut Rock Bottom, crossTRAIN with an optional ab add on, CSI, Pilates/Yoga FUSION, TBC (Total Body Conditioning), Power Yoga, Body Step, Martial arts, Body Combat, Pilates, and Body Flow

ETA: They also have a few other locations close by that offer more classes and I can go there for those as well, so if you don't see something on here that you think is a good class, suggest it anyway, please!

You have to do what interests *you*. Some of those names I don't even know what it means because it's specific to your gym.
  • knk1553
    knk1553 Posts: 438 Member
    Options

For cardio - I love Spin and Zumba
    For strength/cardio combo - body pump and seems like crossTRAIN would be fun...not sure what it is though.

Body flow would probably be good for a recovery day or after you're sore. I've heard great things about body combat and Body Attack, but I've never done them. I don't have the coordination for step...I die, so I avoid those all together. I say just try different classes out until you find some that you like!
  • _TastySnoBalls_
    _TastySnoBalls_ Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Body Pump, Body Attack, Body Combat= awesomeness!!
    I recommend those, because I've done them. It also depends on the instructors teaching the class, I had AMAZING instructors, that became friends. If the instructors suck, you may not get much out of it.
  • Bailey543
    Bailey543 Posts: 375
    Options
    I like spin classes and anything cardio, but I do NOT do the dance thing. I have absolutely no groove. Zumba? NO WAY!!
  • ayshamc
    ayshamc Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Zumba is great but it really depends on your teacher. (It does here in the UK anyway - Teachers get a Zumab Qualification and then make up there own routines, so it depends on how good your teacher is and there background - Dance, Aerobics etc.)

I love Body Combat aswell!

:smile:
  • SuperSexyDork
    Options
    What if you're really just scared that you're going to fu(k everything up? LMAO
  • rachs201230
    Options
    Classes are great fun!
    Like other people have said it depends what you like, everyone is different.

For me I do circuit training once a week, its really tough - a mix of weights, cardio and building fitness.
    I also try to do a spinning class 3 times a week, each and every class is different depending on the teacher. Its great and you really feel the benefits quickly.

My friends love zumba- its not something i have tried but i would love to!

Hope you find something that works for you!
  • zozzabubba
    zozzabubba Posts: 137 Member
    Options

Sounds similar to what my gym offers - they're ALL fun!!! I go to as many as I can fit into my schedule.

Body Pump is awesome for toning up, I do it 4x a week, would DEFINITELY recommend it

Zumba is a definite, I do that 4x a week too and am getting certified as an instructor soon, because it literally doesn't feel like you're working out at all (until after you're finished, aching and drenched in sweat :P) because it's so much fun, it's like a dance party.

Body Attack, Body Combat and Body Step are also really good and really fun, but they're not offered as regularly at my gym as Body Pump and Zumba. I'd say definitely try Body Combat, it makes you feel all intense and powerful, tones up a lot of different muscles and it's a HUGE burn, I'm getting more and more into it lately (only first tried it a few weeks ago) and love it now. Body Step is good for your legs and *kitten* and is also a good burn. Body Attack is similar, maybe not as much fun as Body Combat, but you should just try them all out for yourself and see what YOU like. It also MAJORLY depends on the instructors - Body Attack with an amazing instructor might be way more fun than Body Combat with a boring one, and vice versa.

Spinning is probably the biggest burner out of all that (depending on how much effort you give - Body Combat or a really intense Zumba class could probably burn as much, but it's more up to you), but I can't stand it! I find it so intensely boring because there's so little variety. I find I can work a lot harder when it's constantly switching up, like it is in those other classes, and I don't notice myself getting tired as fast because I'm concentrating on the mental aspect - getting the steps right, so I burn more without noticing.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Martial arts!!!!! That definitely combines cardio and strength, plus it has a practical application beyond just being exercise. Of course, then you learn things like, "Oh, I need to be able to do a push-up in case I get pushed from behind or I trip." Or, "Oh, I need to know how to do crunches in case I need to fight from the ground."
  • Superbritt2drescu
    Superbritt2drescu Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I've tried, Zumba, spin(love) and an abs class at my new gym. All are wonderful.
    Zumba- I have no coordination at all. I'm a total white girl. I look like a flapping, flying, monkey from the old school Wizard of Oz. But I don't care I go there to enjoy it. about 40% of the time I'm lost, and yes, I've stepped on people, ran over people, bumped people, moved the wrong way, etc. Most of the time the instructor has so many dances she will rotate through. After weeks of going you learn them all and what you are to do. It does get easier!
    Spin, a bike.... that just keeps going with awesome music and lots of sweating what is not to love?
    Abs class- I loved it. I totally sucked but absolutely loved it and learned new exercises! What is not to love about that? I go every so often and then repeat that for a week or two until I can get back in and do it again and learn more.