Lifting on a Caloric Deficit

Options
AngryDiet
AngryDiet Posts: 1,349 Member
They say you can maintain muscle, but not really put more on. OK.

What is a good program for lifting specifically to maintain muscle mass on a caloric deficit? Assume the StrongLifts 5x5 compound exercises, but adjusted accordingly.

Does one still need the 1g protein per lb LBM?

Thanks!

Replies

• Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    The program is not that important as long as you lift heavy, have a reasonable deficit ( recommend TDEE minus 15%) eat enough protein and dont over do cardio
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Any program will do really. I wouldn't do something with super high volume like German Volume Training, but 5x5 is a good set up. You can also get already existing muscle to make small adaptations in strenghts/power, so just dial back the percentage you increase the workload at, but still aim to progress.
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options

Minimum
  • scott091501
    Options

Minimum
    1.5 g is probably better.
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    From my own experience, I enjoyed doing Stronglifts 5x5 a ton, but switched to RPT because I am on LG and was advised that it may be too much on my body to be doing squats 3 days a week while eating at a deficit. That may just be advice unique to a leangains lifestyle because I am also fasting while I workout. Right before I switched routines, I was really struggling on squats with some definite pain in my hips from my lack of flexibility and my overworking in the area.

Definitely aim to hit your protein goals, though, no matter what. My body can always tell when I haven't hit that specific macro.
  • Absidey
    Absidey Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    What's LBM?
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Just do Stronglifts as advertised
  • scott091501
    Options
    What's LBM?

lean body mass
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    As others have said, program is less important as long as it's heavy and you are committed to it. Failure, or subpar results usually has more to do with committment than it does the program. Can't go wrong with compound lifts, so the stronglifts or starting strength are both good options.

And yes - 1g per lb of lean body mass as a minimum.
  • byrdamy
    byrdamy Posts: 40
    Options
    Body for life has a good program too, it is similar to other routines, with the 12/10/8/6 rep going from lighter to heavier weights with each set. Its free on their website, I did the upper body tuesday and def felt it.

I will say that when I increased from eating 1200 to 1500 calories a day I felt so much better. I carb cycle too and that helps lean you without sacrificing muscle.

I eat 175-225g of protein day or try to, at least.
  • AngryDiet
    AngryDiet Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Alrighty, thanks all.