BMR above below or spot on?

Options
Should I eat to My BMR?

I'm trying to figuire out if i should be focusing on my BMR a little more ive calculated that mine is about 1566 although my MFP goal is set to 1200 as i want to loose 2lbs a week. I have been finding it hard to not eat over 1200 I exercise at least 3 days a week usually 5 but 2 of those days are moderate exercise. so on the days when I exercise I am still in the green so to speak! Im going to keep doing what I am for the next week as I havent been fully commited the last few weeks as Ive had some time off work and had a lot of celebrations & cheat/treat days no gain but no loss!! so if after this week of focused - very correct logging & working out i may look at my BMR at little more closely.

Are there any people who eat their BMR & are loosing weight? can anyone give me any advice? do you eat you calories?

Thanks

Jo

Replies

• ball858
    ball858 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I'm eating just under my BMR: I am losing between 1-2lb a week (most weeks)

BMR 1632
    Calories: 1430

I eat back most of my exercise calories too (burning average 600 - 1000 a day)
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I am just barely under, or sometimes right at or above my BMR. (Usually on intense workout days.)

My BMR is 1808 and I have my net calories set at 1750. My TDEE is 2400, so I let myself go up to 1900 on days when I am extra hungry.
  • tinytoyjess
    tinytoyjess Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I calc'd my BMR online and it's 1275. Not much higher than the 1200. So, while I was losing, I stuck to the 1200 for the most part. I figured the 75 difference was negligible in my case. I suppose if there was a big difference I might slightly modify my target calories a bit at a time until I hit a number that worked to my advantage.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    1. Do not set your fat loss goal to 2lbs a week. That is WAY too ambitious and is only achieved by people 300lbs+. Many of us here lose about 1 to 1.5lbs a week, but some of it is water weight. It is healthy to go slow.

BMR calculators are simple estimates. You can actually go have yours determined scientifically, but that costs money.

MFP has given you 1200 a day because that is the bottom limit. You basically told it you want to reduce your calories so much, that it determined your level is unsafe and gave you the minimum it allows. I STRONGLY suggest changing your goals.

Eating a bit below or above your BMR is not an issue so long as proper nutritional needs are met.
  • loveskinny27
    loveskinny27 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone :-)
  • birdieaz
    birdieaz Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    BMR 1280
    Eat 1750

When i was eating my BMR or less I plateaued. Using TDEE for me has been much more effective.