Cycling Century

Options
Tomorrow I am riding my first century (its actually 106 miles, that extra 6 will be hard!) It's an organized ride with rest stops and lunch at mile 67 and a dinner at the end. It's been raining all week so I wasn't able to get any miles in earlier this week. I'm pretty nervous! I have done several long rides (50-60 miles) these past few months but I'm still a little scared! any cyclists out there have any last minute tips? I took yesterday and today as rest days so my legs are fresh tomorrow, but maybe some hydrating or nutrition tips for today and breakfast tomorrow would be helpful!

thanks

Replies

• VballLeash
    VballLeash Posts: 2,456 Member
    Options
    I've never done one but I would like to, I just got a rode bike a couple of months ago.... my dad and uncle have done many and always have a good time.. Good luck, let me know how it goes :happy:

~Leash :heart:
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,786 Member
    Options
    I'm doing a metric century tomorrow - on a 7 speed. I always bring my own food in case I don't like any that they have. Also an extra water - just in case.
  • pktbundy
    pktbundy Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    How did you do?
  • yoginimary
    Options
    It was no problem - easier than I thought it would be. The weather was perfect, though.
  • quinnybear
    Options
    really good. it was a perfect day. it was through an area in california known for VERY windy days. however, the wind was super calm that day. perfect temperature, it was only really hot right after lunch on a long climb with no shade. it ended up being 106 miles and we averaged a little under 16 mph, a great pace for a ride with lots of climbs
  • leslie17
    Options
    How did you actually get into cycyling? I love my spin class however I am thinking I want to move out doors. Any suggestions?
    Thanks
  • yoginimary
    Options
    How did you actually get into cycyling? I love my spin class however I am thinking I want to move out doors. Any suggestions?
    Thanks

start with a cheap bike - see if you use it, then move up. I use mine for running errands - exercise + saving gas + getting things done.:happy:
  • quinnybear
    Options
    Thanks

i started with spin class. i did spin 2-5 days a week for about 4 months. my parents have been cyclists for 10 years and my dad got me to cross over to riding outdoors on a roadbike. they are both in a cycling club in our city so i just tagged along with them on rides. my mom and dad had just upgraded their bikes so i got one of their old bikes to start riding. its an expensive bike so i lucked out, but if i had to purchase a bike i would buy a cheaper one just to make sure i stick to it before spending too much money. i suggest finding a local bike shop that can fit you to a bike and tell them your bugdet. after all the spin classes i did, i was able to not only keep up with the cyclists on the group rides, but also ride stronger than some of them.

bottom line: cycling is amazing
  • pktbundy
    pktbundy Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    What was the furthest outdoor ride you did before the actual century ride? I am trying to find good training plans.
  • quinnybear
    Options
    i think the longest ride i did before the century was 65. however, i had been riding for 6 months prior and had been averaging 120 miles a week. i did a handful of 60+ rides and many 50 mile rides. the majority of the rides i did were 30-40 mile rides. twice a week i did a training ride with a group that was 30 miles, but the entire ride focused on speed and riding in a pace line with several sprints during the ride. doing all this i was VERY ready for the century. i did not ride the week prior to the century so that my legs would be "fresh"
  • leslie17
    Options
    Thank you for the advice