Things that make you go hmmmm..... Help :)

Options
jniece55
jniece55 Posts: 181 Member
Wasn't sure where to post this but since so many of you have had great SUCCESS thought this might be a good place to start!!

So I'm just now getting back into exercising and eating right. I really want to do it right and efficiently. I plan to do a lot of running ( I have about 18lbs to lose before I get into the toning where is there). Should I incorporate weights at this point with the running or wait until I get down to the weight/size I would like to be. If anyone would like to offer their workout plans that have been successful or any thoughts i'd LOVE to see it! For stats, I'm 5'1 and 135lbs, 28 yrs old.

Replies

• hfzimmerman
    hfzimmerman Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    If you want to lose 18lbs I would recommend losing it first because when you incorporate weights you might gain even though your body is getting toned. I personally will be running and doing weights because I'd like to tone as I lose. Good luck...I think its mostly personal preference
  • HemsireJosie
    HemsireJosie Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    As the above poster said, it's all personal preference but I think you should bear in mind that working out with weights (a minimum of twice weekly) is important for health, especially bone health. Also, although the number on the scale won't change as dramatically with the weights as it would without this is only because you'd be maintaining any muscle mass you already have (I say maintaining cause its hard to build muscle on a kcal defect). maintaining muscle is great for fat loss and should ensure that the weight you do lose is the right weight (i.e. bodyfat) and will ensure that you don't sabotage your metabolism. More muscle mass = higher metabolism, since muscle is metabolically active tissue, a higher metabolism = being able to eat more and as you lose weight you will look more toned (due to having more quality muscle and less fat) and you will carry less inches around your waist, hips, etc... If you want to go ahead and loose the weight without doing any resistance work then your scale weight will most likely end up lower but your bodyfat will be higher and that will effect the look of your body more. Hope that helps :)
    P.S: Have you considered a program like New Rules of Lifting for Women?
  • xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Everyone I've talked to about that says they wish they'd started to use weights sooner.. It kicks up your metabolism slightly (muscle burns more than fat) and helps you look better as you lose the weight... (*see skinny fit vs skinny fat) it also helps keep that weight loss as fat and not muscle... On a diet only you lose I *think* 80% fat and 20%muscle (or something of that nature).. using weights helps offset that and maintain what muscle you do have.. You might not see the lbs but you'll see a bigger difference in your body which is what most people want anyway.

(reading below, looks like this^^ was said already, but it's good points so heres a repeat..)

Good luck!
  • MrJase
    MrJase Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    ^^^^^As above^^^^ Any good weights routine will burn calories as well so If you incorporate it into your workouts then its only going to do good.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    start the weights NOW! i wish i had started sooner as i lost inches like crazy when i started doing strength training regularly!
  • smilesalot1969
    Options
    start the weights now!! Then when the weight comes off you'll be left toned rather than losing it first then trying to tone up
  • misswager
    misswager Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Were the same height & age! I currently weigh about 115 lbs. I am pretty sure I was about your weight when I started out too!

At first I started running, before I joined the gym. Once I joined the gym I started to do weights. I would suggest you do both at the same time. Although you will gain muscle, so the scale might depress you, just remember it could very well be muscle.

Muscle also helps you to burn fat. The more muscle you have the more fat you are capable of burning.

So my suggestion is to change your exercise routine on a regular basis. Your body becomes very efficient at doing things for example running. So to keep your body guessing, and to utilize all of your body components its great to do different things. For example running one day, rowing in the gym or on the lake the next, then maybe eliptical trainer on a hill climb setting, the next a bike ride, swimming another day etc. You can do weight training on those days as well. You can also do any classes your gym offers. I was nervous at first, but now I LOVE them! Especially body pump. Its a fantastic way to tone and get your cardio in one session!

Remember that REST is just as important as exercising. Your muscles need time to heal. Of course eat a healthy well balanced diet :-)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!