Going away next week...worried about keeping going

Options
Just thought I would start a topic to see what advice you can all give me. I am going on holiday down to my parents next week (with my two kids) and I am worried about a couple of things:

Firstly: my mum really likes to feed people up so keeping on top of the calories will be hard - at the moment I am cooking only for myself (doing the kids meals separately) which helps me to keep track but I am worried I will lose control and will eat too much or log it incorrectly.

Secondly: my parents like to drink and I want to have a few with them - last time I had a few gins I went over my calorie allowance :-(

Thirdly: I have just started the 30 day shred and I intend to take the dvd and handweights with me but feel really self conscious about doing it in my parents living room (don't know why but I do...)

Sorry to moan on, I'm just getting really worried about it :ohwell:

Replies

• KravMark
    KravMark Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I would say stay plugged into your support network ! You can do it!!
  • rjsimpson2002
    rjsimpson2002 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I will have my phone so I can still log in via app...:-)
  • cjhart81
    cjhart81 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Personally I would say just enjoy yourself. its a holiday and you shouldnt really worry about things just having fun :)

saying that you could always ask your mum if you can dish up your own dinner and just have a smaller amount, that will help.. and although you have started 30DS try going for walks each day and get back to 30DS when you get back..

Gin and slimline tonic is not that many calories, but if you want to try something different have a lime and soda! thats hardly any calories.. and you can tell your mum it has vokdka in it.. so then you will only have to have it with vodka when she goes to the bar :P thats what i do sometimes when i go out with friends hehe

HAve an awesome time!

x
  • rjsimpson2002
    Options
    That's good advice cj - I think I will definitely try the lime & soda trick :-D
  • jengroomes
    Options
    Staying on track with your fitness and diet goals isn't too hard if you remember that you have to get back to 'regular' life in a week. Hold yourself accountable to your goals, whatever you do or don't do... you'll have to make up for it later. Indulging once in a while is okay, just remember moderation and not to use vacation/holiday as an excuse to let go. You've got the right idea by bringing your equipment with you and don't feel self conscience about doing them away from home... you never know who you might motivate by taking care of you! :happy:

Enjoy your holiday and the time with your family! :smile: :flowerforyou:
  • jonnyman41
    jonnyman41 Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    get your mum's support on this and see if you can have adapted versions of what the rest of the family have, e.g. chicken pasta without the pasta but a side salad instead. Talk to your mum that you are doing this for health reasons as that is more likely to go down well.
    Possibly forget the shred and restart when you get back but plan in family friendly activities instead as you are on hols after all. Depending on where you are, long walks by the sea, in the forests, up mountains etc, swimming at the local pool/beach, ball games with the kids, tennis matches etc or even days out at theme parks (you walk miles) all should help and could be a lot of fun too.
  • Ntropic1
    Ntropic1 Posts: 15
    Options
    I'm new to the site since putting the app on my Ipad. I agree that it's a holiday and you should enjoy it. Let your hair down a little. As far as the meals go ... you can simply express your dietary issues with your family (I'm sure they'll understand) and stay away from the calories you don't need. As far as exercise you can leave the DVD home if you think it's an issue and do a thirty min walk in the mornings. Take off in one direction set your cell phone alarm for 15 minutes and when it goes off, turn and head for home, voila! a 30 minute workout. You will get calorie allowances from the App too :smile:

Enjoy yourself!
  • beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Can you have a chat with your mum, preferably before she's done the menus & shopping - so, sooner rather than later - to let her know that you're eating healthily and trying to drink less alcohol?

You could discuss what you'd like to eat -
    "A roast would be lovely (*thinks - only one potato*) but I won't want a pudding that day)"

and help her see how to work in what you'd like and what she can add for the others so that she feels she's feeding up the family but you get what you want too. If the G&T's happen at home you could take your own slimline mixers, or get some when you're there. The odd glass of slimline "T & no G" would help your diet & wouldn't cause comment.

I know what you mean about feeling self-conscious about doing exercise in the living room with an audience. Since my husband retired & is sitting in there all day long I can't bring myself to do exercise in there either. We've been married 36 years & I feel self-conscious! :embarassed: Take the kids out for walks, play with them, keep on the move. You'll still be burning up calories.
  • hookandy
    hookandy Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    You will be fine, just make the right choices when you can. If you want a gin and tonic have one. You are already half way there in wanting not to go over, and not just using it as an excuse to let go.

Just remember when you get back to give it a few days before stepping onto the scales. While away your sodium may go up and water retention will add a chunck that will rapidly go when you settle back into cleaner eating.

Enjoy your break
  • vegamy
    vegamy Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    How to survive a vacation:
    1) Log and measure!
    2) Exercise - if you have a laptop maybe you can do 30 day shred in your bedroom? Do active things, like walking daily or, depending on where you're going, maybe swimming or other active things with your kids.
    3) Make conscious choices - it's OK to indulge a little, but plan it in! If you want a couple drinks, just make sure you're making healthy choices for your meal. Or if you're going out to eat or want a special dessert, just make better choices throughout the day.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    i would say, its a holiday, ENJOY!

however you can still keep an eye on what you eat and drink... i know all about the parents feeding you up thing, but try to take a normal portion and just keep smiling and saying it was delicious but you're full to avoid seconds and third helpings!

same with the alcohol, a couple of drinks wont hurt, just dont get p*ssed every night!

try and do some exercise, swimming, plenty of walking etc but maybe try to maintain while ur away instead of losing... if this is a lifestyle change, then that includes holidays and being able to indulge occassionally!
  • GuruOnAMountain
    GuruOnAMountain Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I agree with what people say about it being a holiday. The way I see it, when I go away on breaks and there's other people involved (I usually go away with my boyfriend or friends, here you are going away with your kids and spending time with your parents), it isn't just YOUR holiday and there are other people to consider.

I know that my boyfriend enjoys eating out and usually likes to eat in places where there aren't many healthy options like Chinese restaurants. For me to say no to that because of my diet would make his holiday a lot less enjoyable for him. I'm not saying you need to eat everything in sight but your mum probably takes pleasure from over-feeding people because it makes her feel like she's showing you her love and affection, to eat less than she expects would probably make her feel less happy and maybe even worried about you.....it's only a week........I'd say eat, drink and be merry and take the opportunity to run around with the kids having fun loads, go on long walks, bike rides etc. with the kids and family. If you spend most of each day running around being active with your kids, then you probably wont see any big gains at the end of the week from eating some bigger than normal dinners and having a few drinks. You will, though, have given your kids and your parents great memories that will last a lifetime of the time they spent with their mum/daughter.

So what if you gain a pound or two? You can always work it back off when you come back. Enjoy yourself and your family for a week....they're more important than your waistline.
  • rjsimpson2002
    Options
    Thanks for all your advice and support - you are right. I will enjoy the holiday but I will also try and make good choices.

I am going to take my 30DS stuff with me and keep doing it first thing in the morning - but if I don't then I will drag the kids on long walks instead :-) I'd rather not stop as I have got friends on here who are also doing it so that should help keep me going.

My mum has already planned 2 roast dinners just for that one week !! She's a feeder :-)
  • PrayerofAmity
    PrayerofAmity Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Lol in my second week I went to Disney World for a week with all food paid for for me. I still behaved, not a bite of junk food passed my lips. If I can do it you can!
  • rjsimpson2002
    Options
    Thanks for your support - I'll keep checking in next week and that should help keep me going too - feeling much more positive about it now :-)
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    Just thought I would start a topic to see what advice you can all give me. I am going on holiday down to my parents next week (with my two kids) and I am worried about a couple of things:

Firstly: my mum really likes to feed people up so keeping on top of the calories will be hard - at the moment I am cooking only for myself (doing the kids meals separately) which helps me to keep track but I am worried I will lose control and will eat too much or log it incorrectly.

Secondly: my parents like to drink and I want to have a few with them - last time I had a few gins I went over my calorie allowance :-(

Thirdly: I have just started the 30 day shred and I intend to take the dvd and handweights with me but feel really self conscious about doing it in my parents living room (don't know why but I do...)

Sorry to moan on, I'm just getting really worried about it :ohwell:

Just had my wedding last week and it was difficult being away from the gym. I found other ways to get exercise (walking, hiking, etc) and I watched portion sizes. I did pretty well even though I wasn't in my usual routine. To some extent you have to let go and enjoy your time off/vacation, just remember moderation in all things. Even if you over-do it one day, it's not the end of the world.

Enjoy your holiday.