How to pop popcorn in the microwave

Options
nortx
nortx Posts: 130
Thought I would post this as a new recipe, because it was getting buried in the "bump" comments of the Taco seasoning recipe.

How to pop popcorn in the microwave.

1. Use a plain, flat bottom brown bag
2. Add 1/2 cup plain popcorn kernals to the bag (they are usually sold in bags of 1 pound)
3. Fold the top over twice (no staples)
4. Stand the bag up in your microwave
5. Set the timer to 3 minutes HIGH, although depending on the power of your microwave it could be less than that
6. Stop the microwave and remove when the popping slows down to just one or two pops per second. Watch closely or it will burn. You will get to know the exact time after a few trys.
7. Remove from the microwave and season the way you would like. I'm gluten and dairy free, so I spray with Pam and sprinkle on nutritional yeast.

Enjoy:flowerforyou:

Replies

• mokster
    mokster Posts: 17
    Options
    woo hoo! gotta love the nooch (nutritional yeast)!

thanks for posting this. :)
  • BrendaHyde
    BrendaHyde Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing.
  • Brengild
    Brengild Posts: 127
    Options
    I have a microwave corn popper that works great. I keep hearing about the nutritional yeast on popcorn, gotta try this!
  • gogojodee
    gogojodee Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting!! :) I asked how to and I never found my response, lol!
  • Southernb3lle
    Southernb3lle Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    This is how I have been popping my popcorn. It is awesome and works perfectly.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    I love fresh popcorn. It tastes much better, in my opinion, than the bagged kind, and you can season to taste. I have seen a few articles lately claiming the bags themselves possibly contain dangerous chemicals.

Here's an example, although I don't know how much of it is truth or fear-mongering (since everything seems out to kill us nowadays)
    http://voices.yahoo.com/new-research-suggests-microwave-popcorn-contains-high-1980193.html

Another plus side to popping your own is getting to try all the different types of 'gourmet' popcorn kernels, they sell different varieties on Amazon. :)
  • thinmomsoon
    thinmomsoon Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks! How many calories in half a cup popcorn?
  • blueandigo
    blueandigo Posts: 296
    Options
    Mr. Red would like a word with you. He told me I just need to put the bag inside of the microwave for 2 minutes. Not all of this.

or is Mr. Red lying :(.
  • Southernb3lle
    Southernb3lle Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I love fresh popcorn. It tastes much better, in my opinion, than the bagged kind, and you can season to taste. I have seen a few articles lately claiming the bags themselves possibly contain dangerous chemicals.

Here's an example, although I don't know how much of it is truth or fear-mongering (since everything seems out to kill us nowadays)
    http://voices.yahoo.com/new-research-suggests-microwave-popcorn-contains-high-1980193.html

Another plus side to popping your own is getting to try all the different types of 'gourmet' popcorn kernels, they sell different varieties on Amazon. :)

20525197.jpg
  • allisonmrn
    allisonmrn Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    NEAT.. Thank you for this!!! :-)