"healthy weight" versus "ideal weight" ranges

Options
2»

Replies

• kgprice11
    kgprice11 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I go by healthy weight because the ideal weight it based on a very narrow set of body statistics that are very hard to maintain. I use the healthy weight range to track how my weight is fluctuating and to see whether my workouts are actually "working out" or if I need to step it up a notch.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I have a large frame. In high school, I was very fit. I ran about 3-5 miles, 3x a week, on top of soccer in the fall, basketball in the winter, track in the spring, and softball in the summer. I weighed 135 and looked and felt great! The charts had me on the low side of overweight and basically I just laughed because I knew that I was in excellent shape physically.

It is interesting that the first chart shows 135 in the healthy range. That has changed since the 80s. lol

My goal weight now is 150 pounds. If I go lower, that's fine, but I would be happy and comfy at 150, so long as I am physically fit as well. I want my gorgeous legs back. :happy:
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    I was a little taken aback by the suggestion if 116 pounds at the low end of "ideal". My lowest racing weight was around 125 pounds and I was starting to look a bit gaunt. God knows what I'd look like at 116 pounds at my height. :noway:
    LMAO at 116 lbs. I'm only 5'2 with a medium frame & currently weigh 55.3 kilos or 122 lbs. but I already look thin at this weight. Just a few months ago I weighed 53 or equivalent to 116 lbs. & at that weight I looked like a sickly person.
  • Sharyn913
    Sharyn913 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    116lbs at 5'6" ?? That seems low.

In high school, I had a mild ED, nothing too extreme but I got from 145lbs down to 116lbs and I'm 5'2" looking back at the pictures, that looked very unhealthy for my frame. I guess since we all have different bodies and shapes, different weights will look different on each of us!
  • sandiegosummer
    Options
    I think this chart is aimed really low. I will admit I misread it at first and thought the mid range for someone my height (5'8) was 8 stone and I nearly died...but then i realized my eyes were playing tricks haha... but still 9 stone would make me personally look sick and weak... My goal has always been to be under 140lbs, just to be able to be in the 130 range, even if its 139.9lbs would be insane (in a great way!)

But more important than my weight are my measurements. I don't care if I weigh 155 if i can have a flat tummy and rocking legs!
  • Kara_xxx
    Kara_xxx Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I take on board what's been said about body frame and bone structure and the importance of measurements over scale.

One lady who said she's 116-117lb at 5'6" was indeed not looking unhealthy and was in awesome shape, probably thanks to the weight training too.

For the time being I'll just go with my original goal of getting back to 130lb and anything from there is a bonus. :drinker:
  • MuddyEquestrian
    MuddyEquestrian Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    My "ideal" is a low of 115 at 5'4 ish. I was 122 previously and looked awful, you could see my ribs and hips easily and I just looked horrible. Now at 150 im "overweight" but am thinner than most people I know at my height and one doctor says im fine and another says I need to lose 20. My goal weight is 135-130. I think their "ideal" is off!
  • Ivana331
    Ivana331 Posts: 230
    Options
    according to my BMI, I am in the healthy range, so I am going by ideal weight. I am 5'2" and weigh 128lbs now, I started at 133, but want to weigh 115, I also have a small frame and in high school weighed between 110-115 and I have looked at pictures and think I looked great! at 133lbs, I was looking quite plump and fat in the middle.