protien shakes

Options
My doctor has recommended I drink a protien shake everyday. I'm still fairly new to all this, what does everyone recommend that can be purchased pretty much anywhere? If i buy whey protien(which has been suggested) what do you mix it with?:smile:

Replies

• DappledPalomino
    Options
    I drink the "Lean Body - Vanilla Icecream" protein shake for breakfast every morning. I don't have the exact breakdown but it goes something like this:

Calories: 180
    Fat: 7
    Carbs: 5
    Sugar: 0

It's my favorite protein shake that is easily purchased (walmart carries them). VPX cookies in cream is awesome, 40g protein, but is hard to find here. I've tried muscle milk, atkins, EAS and don't care for them (powdered or premade).

Since I've started my protein shakes/bars, I've felt so much more energized! I don't feel weighed down and after a few days of using them, that ebbing hunger (especially while dieting) goes away!

Good luck!
  • terri1020
    Options
    I'm getting ready for my VSG surgery next week. I LOVE Unjury chocolate. I buy it online. 20 g of protein.
  • ars1300
    ars1300 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    You can keep it basic by mixing with milk or water. You can always add things to changed it up such as fruit. Im not a fan of the store brands. Some of my favorites are cytosport whey isolate, which has low sugar/carb. Also Syntha6 , mochachino flavor and strawberry milkshake is awesome. I would say many of the better quality tast much better than what you can pick up at walmart. Its worth it to me to spend a little more if it tastes so much better! I buy online bodysbestsupplements.com or bodybuilding.com.
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I mix mine with water and it's from Costco and is like $49.99 for a 5lb container.

http://www.kaizenprotein.com/nutrition.html

It's the best protein I've found gluten free and taste OMG so good !!!! 35G of protein for 1 scoop at only 150 calories is the highest I've seen for so little calories
  • mightymouse1998
    Options
    isoflex all the way. Its whey protein isolate which is the purest form of protein

30 gram scoop

27 grams protein

and it has a good amino acid profile
  • El_guapo22
    El_guapo22 Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on what the purpose of the shake is. You can use it as a meal replacement to add calories or strictly to get your daily amount of protein...

If its meal replacement I would get a protein blend like synths 6 chocolate peanut butter is my all time favorite. One scoop is about 200 cal. Gaspari myofusion pro is a good brand also. Cinnamon roll tastes great.

If its strictly to get protein I'd say a whey isolate which has less calories and less carbs. Gaspari intra pro or iso flex or dymatize are good brands. Just look for whey isolate on the label.

Just my thoughts hope it helps.
  • darkchocolate68
    Options
    I have gotten some great recipes from this site. I have loved almost all of the ones I tried, some better than others.

http://dashingdish.com/recipes/shakes/
  • chas1933
    chas1933 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    :happy: Thank soooo much!