Portions size questions

I know one of my biggest probs is I eat too big of portion sizes. I have started to measure everything, scale and measuring cups, but my problem is with the meats. I know 3 oz is a serving.. and to look at it, it should be size of deck of cards, with fish, a checkbook, but how thick is that?? As thick as the deck of cards and checkbook..Is there a good site for portions that you guys have used? I know some have said that they have measured so long it is automatic for them now, but what about for someone learning how to eat healthy for the first time in her life?

Replies

• xxnellie146xx
    xxnellie146xx Posts: 996 Member
    I would suggest getting a scale. I love mine and I weigh everything. I think it's the best way to go.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Absolutely agreed- get a scale. Eyeballing it gives you too much room for error. Digital kitchen scales can be fairly inexpensive and are worth every penny. You will never get identical cuts of meat so the "deck of cards" rule is a good rule of thumb when at a restaurant but you may as well be accurate when at home.
  • WickedSpinSistr
    WickedSpinSistr Posts: 139 Member
    Just keep using your scale for everything at home until you're able to eyeball it. When in restaurants do the best you can.

I've been measuring food on and off for a long time and as soon as I stop using my scale and measuring cups my portions start creeping back up.
  • tes9678
    tes9678 Posts: 5
    Thanks for your input! I will get a new scale that will work for this. I have found that some of the meat I get is so much thicker than a deck of cards, so that always threw me off!