Carb/protein/fat percentage for weight loss?

Options
What percentage do you recommend for carbs, protein, and fat?

Replies

• shatteredsmile
    Options
    Bump???
  • HubbyForAsh
    Options
    I'm pretty sure the most recommended ration is:

40% Protein
    30% Carbs
    30% Fat

...but I'm sure if that's incorrect, someone will point you in the right direction.
  • JessicaPiche89
    JessicaPiche89 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Right now I am at 45% protein, 30% carb and 25% fat. It is the only thing that has gotten me over my 1.5 month plateau. Not sure how 'right' it is, but it is working for me :)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure the most recommended ration is:

40% Protein
    30% Carbs
    30% Fat

...but I'm sure if that's incorrect, someone will point you in the right direction.
    This is what mine's been set for. But I don't think it's the most common or most often recommended. I'd bet on here lots of folks would say 40/30/30 but have the 40 for carbs.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I am doing 50/25/25 for now. If I hit a plateau at some point, I'll switch it up, but it's working well so far.
  • mandyann53
    Options
    As far as I know it sort of comes down to preference, and what you're going for (If you're trying to lose and tone, you'll want more protein.). I try to transfer the "dinner plate" idea onto my percentages.
    They say your plate should be 1/2 veg, 1/4 starch, and 1/4 protein.
    Put into the pie chart this tends to end up meaning that carbs are a big percentage, since vegetables have a decent amount of carbs.
    Fat I try not to necessarily limit, but I also don't want it to be the biggest chunk in the chart. As long as it's not a whole bunch of saturated fat, I don't put much thought into it.

Then again I love carbs, and this is how I'm able to stick to my diet better =]
    As long as you work out your calories properly it's up to you.
    As far as I know.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I am doing 50/25/25 for now. If I hit a plateau at some point, I'll switch it up, but it's working well so far.

This works for me, but I'm not super-strict with it. I aim for a minimum of ~100g of protein a day, and don't fuss too much about the others. I'm primarily a runner, but I also lift weights.
  • jtave003
    Options
    As a basic guide, eat 20-35 percent of calories as fat; 45-65 percent of calories as carbohydrate and 10-35 percent of calories in the form of protein. The most important is that your eating the right types of carbs (complex only), protein (lean), and fats (non hydrogynated). If your trying to build more muscle eat more protein. A good refernce is the Eat Clean Diet by Tosca Reno
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I do 40% carbs 30% protein 30% fat or there abouts. I do long, long endurance type exercise (usually cardio for 2+ hours a day) so I need the extra carbs.
  • awill1122
    Options
    You need to eat as much protein as possible to limit muscle loss while losing fat. Most plans that I've seen that include weight lifting suggest you eat about one gram of protein per pound of ideal body weight. A gram of protein is about 4 calories, then you should split your carbs and fats about evenly. For me, it breaks down to about 40% protein, 30% carbs, and 30% fat, which is pretty typical. MFP severly underestimates daily protein intake, so don't go by that.
  • michellematteson
    Options
    I have my macros set to 50% carbs, 30% fat and 20% protein. I try to get my protein above 100 g each day though, so it is often 40-45% carbs and 25-30% protein. I have found that I seem to lose weight when I have a row of high protein days and then a day of higher carbs. This is just personal observation though, but I have seen some people on the boards saying they do the same with good results as well.
  • MrPPS
    MrPPS Posts: 2
    Options
    Try to consume about 1900 calories a day for healthy weight loss. Out of that
    Protein = 40%
    Carbs = 30%
    Fat. = 30%
    1 gallon of water per day. Add 2 lemons to it for liver cleansing and great fat loss. You will thank lemons later.

Most important DO NOT eat carbs or fat at dinner or last meal. You can replace that with protein shake or bar or salmon or chicken breast meat.
    Recommended: walk briskly on a treadmill or outside for 30 mins, it will burn approximately 200-300 calories. By doing that you are taking off about 500 calories from your diet everyday. In a month it is:
    500 x 30 = 15000 calories.
    1 pound (lbs) = 3500 calories.
    Weight loss in 1 month = 4.25 lbs.
    Thats just rough idea. It all depends on your efforts.
    I hope it helps and answer your question.
    Stay positive and continue your journey toward better health.

Best regards
    PPS01
  • grantdumas7
    grantdumas7 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    There is no magic percentage. Some people can diet on 800 grams of carbs while others 80 grams. You have to find what's best for you.