ZOMG my first big cut is over

Options
Determinednoob
Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
Well it has taken longer than it should have, but from 204 lbs skinnyfat ~30% bf and size 38 pants to 166 lbs slightly muscular and relatively thin ~11-12%bf and size 32 pants. Would have liked to have gotten just a little leaner, but I am so tired of undereating, so eager to BULK, and bench and OHP are starting to feel really hard to get my sets done with the same weight. So, BRING ON THE FOOD!!! Not the most revealing before, but you can kinda see my gut, skinny arm, and the tell tale face fat.

Untitled-1.jpg

after11.jpg

Replies

• wolfpack77
    wolfpack77 Posts: 655
    Options
    Nice work on the cut. Yeah, sometimes you get down to weight's your uncomfortable with. For me it was 155... but I managed to get to 9% BF and retain mass. I think it turned out ok and people tell me I look great. But after this next bulk Im aiming for 160 - 165 cut to the bone, so Im also eager to bulk after summer's over. Probably for at least 6 months.

Anyways gj.
  • AshleyBananas
    Options
    You can tell you went from soft to superman from the picture with the baby to the others. You look great!
    Thanks for sharing!
  • illbetravelin
    illbetravelin Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    you look great!
  • Determinednoob
    Options
    Thx. Hope it provides inspiration\motivation for others.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    That's some really good work. Phenomenal job in getting that stomach flat and trimmed. I know that's not easy to do. I'm still trying to cut down a bit too and totally feel you on the reduced calorie bit. It would be nice to enjoy a peanut butter sandwich more often but I'm still just over 15% and would like to drop it down closer to 10%.

Do you have a specific limit on what you're going to let your body fat get to before you cut again? Just think next time we do this we can put in the same work and get even more ripped if we don't let ourselves get so far out of shape.
  • Determinednoob
    Options
    That's some really good work. Phenomenal job in getting that stomach flat and trimmed. I know that's not easy to do. I'm still trying to cut down a bit too and totally feel you on the reduced calorie bit. It would be nice to enjoy a peanut butter sandwich more often but I'm still just over 15% and would like to drop it down closer to 10%.

Do you have a specific limit on what you're going to let your body fat get to before you cut again? Just think next time we do this we can put in the same work and get even more ripped if we don't let ourselves get so far out of shape.

Well the good rule of thumb i have seen is cut to 10 bulk to 15 and repeat. I think I have only gotten down to 11-12 at this point, so I might get up around 17% or so. It will be my first real bulk, so i will have to see how it goes. I do know that I will be able to drop fat much faster next time now that I am much more educated and have experienced it once and got the food scale and started using this site.
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    You look great! Congrats!
  • whiteheaddg
    whiteheaddg Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Very cool. I'm at a similar point. Weighing in at 156 and taped myself this morning - came out to 13.6% BF (average between USN and Bailey methods). I wanted to get down to 12% before switching to bulk, but waist (widest) is already <32" and I'm not seeing the point in cutting further. I may switch to no calorie deficit for a couple of weeks and see what happens, but think starting the bulk/cut cycle may be the way to go.

Have you set a target weekly weight gain or % over TDEE? I'm not sure where to go with this.
  • KodAkuraMacKyen
    KodAkuraMacKyen Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    Wow! You look amazing. Congrats!
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    That is excellent, man. Congratulations!!!
  • final10
    final10 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Give yourself a break, you had a baby. I wish my husband looked as good as you after babies. :wink: Seriouly, great job!
  • LALOCHA34
    LALOCHA34 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    You really do LOOK amazing, great job..it isn't easy for anyone, right. Hard work will and does pay off! Very motivating.
  • fawndam
    fawndam Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    U R SMOKIN!!! GREAT WORK!
  • Determinednoob
    Options
    Very cool. I'm at a similar point. Weighing in at 156 and taped myself this morning - came out to 13.6% BF (average between USN and Bailey methods). I wanted to get down to 12% before switching to bulk, but waist (widest) is already <32" and I'm not seeing the point in cutting further. I may switch to no calorie deficit for a couple of weeks and see what happens, but think starting the bulk/cut cycle may be the way to go.

Have you set a target weekly weight gain or % over TDEE? I'm not sure where to go with this.

Honestly I have never done a lot of hardcore calculating tdee, bmr, etc. Way back in Nov of last year I calculated a general "maintenance" amount of cals it took for me to maintain my weight (~190 at the time) and had meals planned around that, but was not weighing and measuring stuff exactly, so was underestimating here and overestimating there. I'm sure it was always in the ballpark though. When I decided to cut I just started dropping carbs out of what I had been eating (like 1 sandwich instead of 2 but with all the meat of 2, switched to chicken salad vs chicken wrap, used a spoon for my ground turkey+cottage cheese nachos instead of backed scoops, etc.) Eventually at a stall and with carbs so low that my energy sucked, and with a better understanding of how to properly construct a nutrition plan, I redid all my macros dropping some protein (was at like 250 per day) and also stopped using so much powder (was doing 75g pro powder on w/o days and 25 on non w/o days) in favor of real food. It is a lot easier to deal with a calorie deficit when you drink no calories and instead get them all from solid food. Now I just do one 24g scoop on w/o days even though I don't have to, I have gotten attached to my strawberry banana smoothies.

As far as going over maintenance for bulking, what I am doing is this. I have been eating at 800 cals under my long ago calculated maintenance. While cutting I was lifting as much weight as I could. To switch to bulking, I dropped the weight I am lifting by an amount that will put me back to where I was in my 4th week adding 5lbs per lift to everything every w/o except deadlifts which will be 10lbs per w/o. I have been increasing cals by 200 each week with an assumption that maintenance is a bit less at my current weight, so I will start going over in week 3 (this week) or week 4, and keep going up until it looks like there is a bit of fat gain going on, with the assumption that it will be somewhere in the 400-600 over range.
  • linds2324
    Options
    IN-SANE results! You look amazing. Congratulations.
  • cupcakes_
    cupcakes_ Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Wow! You look fantastic!
  • whiteheaddg
    whiteheaddg Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    As far as going over maintenance for bulking, what I am doing is this. I have been eating at 800 cals under my long ago calculated maintenance. While cutting I was lifting as much weight as I could. To switch to bulking, I dropped the weight I am lifting by an amount that will put me back to where I was in my 4th week adding 5lbs per lift to everything every w/o except deadlifts which will be 10lbs per w/o. I have been increasing cals by 200 each week with an assumption that maintenance is a bit less at my current weight, so I will start going over in week 3 (this week) or week 4, and keep going up until it looks like there is a bit of fat gain going on, with the assumption that it will be somewhere in the 400-600 over range.

Thanks. I just added a couple hundred calories as well. I think I'm depending too much on protein powders as you mentioned and need to find a way to back off those in favor of legit food. Appreciate the advice. Good luck.
  • geraint125
    geraint125 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Total inspiration... Thanks for posting
  • kyodi
    kyodi Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Well done sir. I need to adjust some things to get results like this; bumping for reading later (at work).
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!