Can I loose 30 lbs before college?

Options
Is it possible to loose this much weight in a year? Will I need to be extremely dedicated? Or should I just give up and except where I'm at.. I've been trying for the past three years and I never seem to be able to do it. I'm not even sure why I think this time is going to be any different :/

Replies

• tinytoyjess
    tinytoyjess Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Maybe this is your time. You have a clear goal now in terms of time/date. Figure if you aim to lose between a 1/2 lb to 1 lb per week you'll be there by this time next year.
  • redscylla
    redscylla Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    First: you're already defeating yourself if you're talking about failing.

Second: I lost 26 lbs. in 6 months without trying very hard at all. Yes, you can lose 30 lbs. in a year. Start today. Then keep going tomorrow. And the day after, etc. This time will be different if you make it different.
  • patamy123
    Options
    My husband just lost 30 lbs. If he can do it so can you! You have to stick tothe new lifestyle.:smile:
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,096 Member
    Options
    It also depends on how realistic it is for you to weigh 30 lbs less. How did you come up with that number? You look to be at a healthy weight in your picture.
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    where are you starting from? if you are already in the BMI range for "healthy", perhaps not. depending upon your body fat percentage, losing 30 lbs could require losing muscle, which probably isn't your objective.
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    How much are you looking to lose? What's your diary look like? Like the others have said, yes you can if you put your mind too it. Don't say you'll fail-know that it's a process with ups and downs but you can do it Go ahead and add me if you'd like! :smile:

Edited cause I can't spell lol
  • ShyFeather
    ShyFeather Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Depends on how much you weigh now. This was actually my summer goal and I've pretty much met it, but I still have more to lose. A year should be plenty of time, either way.
  • TrishaMarie13
    TrishaMarie13 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    You can do it! It should be possible if you aim to lose a pound a week. I always try to look at the small picture. 1 pound a week is possible, whereas 30 pounds in a year sometimes seems impossible. Maybe this will help your outlook. I'm trying to lose 45 pounds in 6 months, so I have to believe that you can do this!

Add me if you need some extra motivation! Good luck!
  • harold_IV
    harold_IV Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Yes if you have a year you definitely can. I dropped 40 lbs in one year.
  • Brent_J
    Brent_J Posts: 54
    Options
    I've been trying for years, and I had never been able to do it... until I got serious and joined this site.

YOU CAN DO IT!!
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Is it possible to loose this much weight in a year?
    See my ticker? All that was lost this year.
    Will I need to be extremely dedicated?
    The more dedicated you are the better your results will be. Do you kind of want to lose the weight or do you really want to lose the weight?
    Or should I just give up and except where I'm at..
    Don't make me come through the screen and wash your mouth out with soap for that comment. Get some dedication and fire inside you. You can do any freaking think you want with your body. Do you want a smaller waist? Get out there and do it? Do you want abs of steel? It's all possible if you have the right frame of mind. Your body does whatever you tell it to do. If it wants to be lazy and fat tell it who the boss is. Your mind is the boss. Your body is the slave.

How bad do you want it?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsSC2vx7zFQ
  • crimsoncat
    crimsoncat Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I lost 25 pounds between the summer before college and the end of my freshman year of college and have kept it off for 5 years.

-Pack your own meals. Buy nothing at school.
    -Eat more veggies. Even one carrot is better than none.
    -Join a self defense class or Pilates (I did both)
    -Walk a few miles (2 or more) a day (get a dog) or garden a lot
    -Order water or hot tea (don't add sugar is you can help it) at restaurants instead of soda. Stay away from iced tea because they load it up with sugar
    -Don't order from the fast food places more than once a week and keep it in moderation. Baking your own "fast food" at home is okay (again in moderation) but that deep fried stuff doesn't help at all
    -Plan your food around family gatherings or you'll just beat yourself up when you overeat. Eat lighter earlier in the week or do more exercise and leave a calorie deficit.
    -Keep trying new exercises. You'll get bored.
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options
    Sure you can. I'm at just shy of 50 pounds in just shy of a year, and honestly, I've been pretty relaxed about it the last six months. I'm sure I could have lost more, had I chosen to go that route.
    Don't stress about it, though. Just make an effort.
    Move more, eat better. And for the love of god, don't starve yourself.
  • th1nkth1nmama
    Options
    You are young and you can do it! I lost 45 lbs after high school. Do it while you are young bc it's harder when you get older!
  • Nicole_Altieri
    Nicole_Altieri Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Of course it is do-able. But the closer you are to your weight and the lower your body fat content is the harder it may be to come off. Obese people tend to lose weight faster than others not needing to lose as much. As long as you stay within your daily calorie intake and do some sort of exercise the weight with come off, you need to be determined to stick with it cause there will be road bumps - think about your long term goal and how much better you will feel inside and out and that should help to keep you motivated.
  • shynell
    shynell Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    My name is Lori and I am a Teacher. I will tell you what often help my students that are faced with a challenge that they think is bigger than they are.

1. Don't look at the big picture in this. Take it one pound at a time. Sometimes when we know we need to accomplish something big we tend to think it will happen all at once, but if we simply take it one step at a time before you know it you have reached and past your goal.

2. Don't let the weight loss control you, but you control the weight loss. What do I mean? We tend to say what we can't do. Try saying what you do. Example: I use to say I can't eat sweets and that put me in mind of punishment, so now I say I don't eat sweets. In my own mind I except it better and I don't have a problem not eating sweets.

I hope this helps. We all are struggling to reach our attainable goals and I wish you blessings in reaching yours. Have fun and enjoy the outcome.

Go see my blog
  • jmoralesx5
    jmoralesx5 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I lost 34 pounds in 90 days. I have been doing P90X and The 17 Day Diet. It has been hard, but totally worth every stinking sweating minute of it! You need to know that YOU ARE WORTH IT. Put up the good fight, but don't think of it as a diet. Think of this as your new life...a new you!
  • msmith2020
    msmith2020 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I lost 25 pounds between the summer before college and the end of my freshman year of college and have kept it off for 5 years.

-Pack your own meals. Buy nothing at school.
    -Eat more veggies. Even one carrot is better than none.
    -Join a self defense class or Pilates (I did both)
    -Walk a few miles (2 or more) a day (get a dog) or garden a lot
    -Order water or hot tea (don't add sugar is you can help it) at restaurants instead of soda. Stay away from iced tea because they load it up with sugar
    -Don't order from the fast food places more than once a week and keep it in moderation. Baking your own "fast food" at home is okay (again in moderation) but that deep fried stuff doesn't help at all
    -Plan your food around family gatherings or you'll just beat yourself up when you overeat. Eat lighter earlier in the week or do more exercise and leave a calorie deficit.
    -Keep trying new exercises. You'll get bored.

^^^ Couldn't have said it better myself!! Great ideas and motivation! This will keep you on track!!

I start my Junior Year at College in less than 2 weeks. I not only gained my freshman 15, but more. I have given myself 365 days (I dont know what day I'm on now) to lose 47 pounds. Thats enough time with dedication, calorie deficit and working out, not weights all the time so don't freak out, I actually run but you can walk. I lose everything on my ticker in 2 weeks. You can lost 30 in a year.

Don't beat yourself down before you even start...
  • TheNewo
    TheNewo Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I'm still looking for your starting height and weight. It may be unrealistic for you to lose 30lbs in any amount of time.

That being said, yes, if you are 30lbs over weight it's perfectly realistic to lose that amount in a year.

If you're 120lbs looking to get down to 90 at 5'4", than no ma'am. Not realistic.
  • blinkiii
    blinkiii Posts: 90
    Options
    Everybody, thank you SO MUCH for your support!! Your positive thinking really makes me think that I can do this!! :D I can't even begin to express how grateful I am!
    And to answer some of your questions, I am not at a healthy weight. My BMI says I am overweight. I am currently about 155 and only 5'3". Keep in mind I also have absolutely no muscle.