Tomato Recipes

Options
lifeisadancefloor
lifeisadancefloor Posts: 91 Member
Ok so my tomato plants are getting a little out of control haha does anyone have any yummy recipes for tomatoes. Cucumber and tomato salads are great, but I would like to switch it up a bit! Thanks :flowerforyou:

Replies

• barmum
    barmum Posts: 73
    Options
    Tomato salad is very nice with a teeny bit (tablespoon) of gin in the dressing ;) The other one that is very nice is to put whole small toms in a pan with a teaspoon of olive oil , crushed garlic , pepper and a fine diced red onion, warm through until the toms burst then add ripped basil leaves and stir through some cooked spaghetti x
  • lifeisadancefloor
    Options
    Tomato salad is very nice with a teeny bit (tablespoon) of gin in the dressing ;) The other one that is very nice is to put whole small toms in a pan with a teaspoon of olive oil , crushed garlic , pepper and a fine diced red onion, warm through until the toms burst then add ripped basil leaves and stir through some cooked spaghetti x

That sounds lovely! Thank you :)
  • barmum
    barmum Posts: 73
    Options
    Ooooh and theres always tabbouleh where you chop up the toms with lots of fresh mint and thyme , peppers , cucumber and a bit of lemon juice and bulgar wheat x
  • lifeisadancefloor
    Options
    Ooooh and theres always tabbouleh where you chop up the toms with lots of fresh mint and thyme , peppers , cucumber and a bit of lemon juice and bulgar wheat x

Wow that sounds amazing!!! We have everything except for the lemon juice and bulgar wheat in the garden too! Tahnks again!
  • bethanp
    bethanp Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Bruschetta or Caprese Salad- love both of those in the summertime and both are easy to throw together.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    I have tons of tomatoes right now. AFter you try all these yummy recipes - get a big pot, peel your tomatoes, slice them into chuncks and throw them in. Add an onion, peppers, garlic, oregano. Cook until the tomatoes are done and then use a stick blender to blend this smooth. When cool transfer to freezor bags and freeze. This is great all winter for soup bases, spaghetti/lasagne sauces and stews. I try and freeze enough to make the homeade "something" every week of the winter. Happy cooking!

Easy peeling? Throw tomatoes in a pot of boiling water for a minute or two. Then throw into a sink of cold water. Skins come off very easily!
  • allisonmrn
    allisonmrn Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    I have tons of tomatoes right now. AFter you try all these yummy recipes - get a big pot, peel you tomatoes, slice them into chuncks and throw them in. Add an onion, peppers, garlic, oregano. Cook until the tomatoes are done and then use a stick blender to blend this smooth. When cool transfer to freezor bags and freeze. This is great all winter for soup bases, spaghetti/lasagne sauces and stews. I try and freeze enough to make the homeade "something" every week of the winter. Happy cooking!

What a great idea..Thank you!!! ;)
  • jennm72
    jennm72 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    When my garden gets out of control, I usually freeze the tomatoes to use for chili or minestrone in the winter. I love being able to have the fresh garden taste in the middle of winter.

We also eat a lot of tomatoes with fresh mozzerella and basil with just a touch of basalmic vinegar. Yum!
  • Erica0718
    Erica0718 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I have a ton of tomatoes at my house too and this is one of the things I did with them:

MANDARIN ORANGE PICO DE GALLO
    MAKES 6-1/2 cups
    PREP TIME: 10 Minute(s)
    STAND TIME: 5 Minute(s)INGREDIENTS
    2 cans (11 oz. ea.) mandarin oranges, drained and halved
    1-1/2 cups finely chopped red onion
    2 cups seeded and chopped tomatoes
    1 Tbsp. Knorr® Chicken flavor Bouillon
    1/3 cup lime juice

PREPARATION

Combine all ingredients in a glass bowl. Let stand about 5 minutes. Garnish with cilantro and serve with tortilla chips. This also makes a great topping for chicken or tilapia.
  • Suz_w8loss
    Suz_w8loss Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I've been making Creamy Tomato Basil Soup. Easy to store using freezer quart sized ziplock bags. They will last in the freezer for months.
    I have no real measurements, but here is an approximate. I just cut up about 10-20 tomatoes, 3 onions, 4-6 whole cloves, 1 can of chicken stock & handful of fresh basil leaves. Toss them all in a big pot and boil for 20 mins until the onions are soft, then strain them through a strainer & put the liquid to the side. Take the tomato/onions & blend them up in a blender/food processor, once they are all broken down like gravy, pour that back into the liquid soup.
    In a seperate pot melt a stick of butter & wisk the melted butter with 1/2 cup of flour, then slowly add back the soup. You will see the soup thicken up. If you want it thicker, then just repeat with melted butter & flour.
  • sharoncasey60
    sharoncasey60 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    This is a very versatile recipe which I made up for Bruschetta

tomatoes cut in small pieces the size of dime or so
    either dried basil or fresh basil (to your liking) I don't use a lot
    little bit of sea salt or your choice
    virgin olive oil or I have used plain canola oil when out of o.o.
    HINT; I keep olive oil in my frig and keep crushed FRESH garlic or pressed cloves about 1-3 in a small jar) It keeps for weeks

Mix this together. If tomatoes are small and juicy mixture will be a little soupy

Prepare "toast" of any kind. Traditional Italian recipe uses fresh Italian cut in 1/2" to 1" thick slices. Toast dry both sides.

Add "drained" tomato mixture to each toast piece with a little parmesan, mozarella, or any cheese you desire. I don't use much as I like the crunch and also the great flavor of fresh tomatoes. This can go a long long way if you slice your bread thinly..Use the remaining juice to top off each piece with a little liquid. This won't make the bruschetta soggy unless you put on more than tablespoon or so. Use it sparingly. I Usually drink the little remaining for the nutrition.....not like eating cookie batter. It is very good for you! :heart:
    Put in oven for short while (350 or more) for just a few minutes to melt the cheese.

ENJOY AND LET ME KNOW HOW YOU LIKE IT. DELICIOUS LIGHT DINNER WITH SALAD. :flowerforyou:
  • mom2mozart
    mom2mozart Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Chunky tomato sauce:
    Dice the tomatoes - set aside, Saute onion in a few tablespoons of olive oil with a tablespoon of butter, garlic (add when onions are nearly done) - add the tomatoes and simmer for 30 minutes, add fresh basil, salt and pepper - it is fantastic. Serve over pasta, spaghetti squash, grilled eggplant, grilled chicken, or anything else you like,

Delicious tomato soup:
    Dice 1 whole tomato, add to 1 can Campbell's Healthy Request condensed soup prepared with 1 can of 1% or 2% milk, add 1/4 teaspoon of garlic powder, black pepper to taste, and paprika to taste. Enjoy with a grilled cheese sandwich.

Stuffed tomatoes:
    Hollow out the tomatoes - mix the centers with salt, pepper, and italian seasoning blend, mix with seasoned rice and cooked extra lean ground turkey, sprinkle with cheese, bake for a few minutes and enjoy.

Tomato AuGratin:
    See Ina Garten's recipe on the Food Network,com. It is delicious.
  • Kimmer2011
    Kimmer2011 Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I just finished some cheese tortellini with blanched broccoli, tomatoes, red onion, light balsamic vinaigrette, and fresh basil for my lunch. Sometimes I use bulgur wheat (love that stuff), but I wanted to use up the tortellini.
  • ShinyFuture
    ShinyFuture Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    (bookmarking)
  • begreenbe
    begreenbe Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I made something similar with quinoa instead of the bulgar wheat. It was wonderful.
  • lifeisadancefloor
    Options
    These are all great thank you :)