Lunch!

Options
TavistockToad
TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
I am trying to up my protein at the moment, and from looking at my diary it is lunch time that lets me down a little, so i was hoping you lovely people could share some ideas for lunch.

I usually have either salad with protein (cottage cheese, ham, tuna, chicken, eggs) or a wrap filled with salad, light philadelphia cheese and some sort of meat, but i do find i get a bit bored having the same things day in day out, so i need some new ideas please!

there isnt much i dont like, am not really bothered for having a warm meal, and i have a fridge at work for storage. i'm not allergic to anything and eat most things....

and go....

Replies

• TavistockToad
    Options
    anyone.....? you dont want me to starve do you?!
  • Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt with some oats and fruit.

I would suggest looking at bento recipes. You don't have to do the decoration that comes with it, but those recipes usually have some delicious and healthy lunch ideas.
  • Tat2dDom624
    Tat2dDom624 Posts: 1,226 Member
    Options
    Turkey Burgers or Veggie Burgers with a veggie on the side
  • charlena48
    charlena48 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I mix it up. I eat a lot of cucumbers. I try to cook something on Saturday or Sunday to have where I can warm it up in a microwave. I make homemade vegetable soup with ground turkey breasts, which is really good and I have a couple of pasta dishes I make using brown rice pasta. I love pizza so sometimes I have a DiGiorno 200 calorie pizza with veggies and a fruit. Good luck!
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite salads these days is lettuce, veggies (I like mushrooms, red onion, pickled jalepenos, and halved grape tomatoes), a grilled piece of salmon (or chicken or ground turkey) shredded up, a small amount of black beans, a small amount of reduced fat cheese (I like colby but any does it) and a fat free/low fat dressing. I know I should make my own dressing, but I lost 45 pounds using bottled ones I learned I liked (favorites btw are Bolthouse Farms Yogurt Ceasar and Aldi Fat Free Zesty Italian).

I'd eat this with 2% cottage cheese (because I'm lazy, my favorite is the Breakstone Snack Size ones) and a greek yogurt (never got on the plain bandwagon, I just eat the fruit stuff..). Protein is pretty high from the yogurt, cottage cheese and salmon and you get calcium from the cheese. It's tasty and healthy.
  • newty_16
    newty_16 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Lettuce wraps! I make a crock pot of pulled chicken on the weekend then have it all week for filling...there are many options, BBQ, Teriyaki, sweet/sour, mango, cilantro, salsa...and all taste great in a lettuce wrap w/ some onions/peppers/mushrooms (whatever veggies you like) I don't even need cheese (and I LOVE cheese)
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • brendajs
    brendajs Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I've noticed that this lunch keeps me satisfied until I get home from work/errands!

Pretty simple... est. 315 calories (can swap out cheese balls for grapes--which I will do!)
    2 slices Wonder Smart Bread
    1/2 pkt of tuna in water
    alittle Lite Mayo with Olive Oil
    3/4 cup cheese balls (Target...left over from when my grandsons visited)

Progresso Soups are good, also. I like the Beef Pot Roast and Chicken Dumpling. Now that the days will be turning cooler, these will be on the menu often. I go home for lunch (gotta let the puppy out) and only get half an hour. Need fast/quick meals without much prep!

Great topic!! Hoping to get ideas here myself!
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I've been packing lunch for DH, and here are a few things I've been sending for him.

Quinoa with chickpeas. In a little olive oil, sautee some chopped onions, ginger, garlic, a can of chick peas, enough broth/boullion/water to cook quinoa, the quinoa, and cook until almost done. With about 5 minutes to go, add whatever veggies you like (peppers in various colors, carrots, broccoli, green beans, etc.) on top. Stir when done and serve. You can change up the flavors by adding say, taco/fajita seasonings, a little cumin, oregano, etc. to the liquids (not all at the same time of course).

Seitan stir fry: Pretty much what it says. Chop veggies, stir fry in a little olive oil or sesame oil with your favorite stir fry sauce. Serve as a wrap or over rice, brown/white according to your taste. I usually add sriracha, chili-garlic paste, etc. for a little variation.

Black bean salad: Mix together, a can of black beans, corn, chopped red onion, chopped bell peppers in various colors, cucumber, cilantro. Dress with a little EVOO, red wine vinegar, and lemon juice. I like it with avocado added as well.

Tuna "salad": To drained, canned tuna, add chopped celery, a little shallots or spring onions, avocado, guacamole, a little lemon juice and chopped cilantro. Or use your favorite creamy salad dressing. You can substitute egg for tuna, add a little greek yogurt, and one of my favorite additives is jalapeno greek yogurt.. Or you can try plain greek yogurt with say, cajun/creole spices or curry powder.

You can do lots of substitutions for different flavor profiles, add different meats, fish, different spices, different vegetables, etc. for a little variety.