Work Out Shoes

Options
Opinions please!!!! What would you say is the most comfortable shoe to work out in. I will be doing weights but also a little cardio...all at the gym, nothing on concrete! :)

Replies

• UnleashingLovely
    Options
    Little pricey, but the best tennis shoe I have EVER owned.
    Under armor.
    Amazing shoes.
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    If by weights you mean squats and/or dead lifts then it is important that you wear shoes that have little to no cushioning. So, Converse all stars of Converse Chuck Taylors would be great.
  • rlmadrid
    rlmadrid Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I'm a Nike Free Run advocate. They are flat enough to squat in and have drastically improved me knee pains when running. Try minimalist shoes from other brands too though. Everyone is different.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    I have a pair of Vibram Five Finger Bilika shoes for running (they can be used for training too) and a pair of Under Armour training shoes for resistance training. I don't use the Bilika for training because I had have ankle issues in the past and I want to build up more strength before trying to do intense resistance training "barefoot."

Running shoes don't make good training shoes. They're only good for running. The type of support you get from each shoe is VERY different. Training shoes give more lateral support and really hold your ankle in place. That being said, training shoes are not nearly as flexible as running shoes, so they wear out very quickly and are uncomfortable to run in.
  • zebragirl25
    Options
    Thank y'all so much!!! I have always been a nike girl...I own 8 different pairs of nike running shoes because I've always just done cardio!! I am now working with weights, so I know I need a different kind of shoe...and I don't know much about any other shoe brands!!! Thank you for your tips and suggestions....I great appreciate them! :)
  • wisegirl_k
    wisegirl_k Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I've always had to put inserts in my shoes because I couldn't find that "perfect shoe" either. But I've found a couple that really work for me without any insert. I have a pair of Nike Livestrongs that I wear for my general gym time and riding my bike, very comfortable overall shoe. But when it comes to running, I have a pair of Brooks PureConnects that I love. They are über light weight and have a bit of a negative heel strike so it's a more natural movement.
    I'd love to try the five finger shoes, but unfortunately they aren't made for people with french fry toes like me :cry:
  • wisegirl_k
    wisegirl_k Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I'm a Nike Free Run advocate. They are flat enough to squat in and have drastically improved me knee pains when running. Try minimalist shoes from other brands too though. Everyone is different.

I've had my eye on these!!! They've helped a lot with your knee pain? I love my Brooks and they helped so much with my ankle pain, but now I'm experiencing knee pain. It's just from over stress, but if I can help decrease it I will any way possible! I could alternate shoes.
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Asics! All the way, Asics.
  • rlmadrid
    rlmadrid Posts: 694 Member
    Options

I've had my eye on these!!! They've helped a lot with your knee pain? I love my Brooks and they helped so much with my ankle pain, but now I'm experiencing knee pain. It's just from over stress, but if I can help decrease it I will any way possible! I could alternate shoes.

For me it's an old soccer injury that really doesn't like me to use it at all. I'm working on building leg muscles to stabilize it, but I'm not ready to give up running.

To be honest, minimalist was right for me. I haven't tried others, like NB or Reebok, because I've been happy with these. They let my foot hit the ground the way it wants to, which is leaning towards mid-foot. I have the Free 7.0 for outdoor running where terrain is variable too. I find the slightly stronger support helps avoid foot/ankle pain.
  • finupb
    finupb Posts: 13
    Options
    I work out in either my vibram bikilas, vibram kso, or more recently my new balance minimus road zeros.

I found that the Nike Free still has too much cushion for my taste, but i started training wearing only five fingers.
  • kcbrig
    kcbrig Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I don't think there is one perfect brand as everyone has different feet & what works for one person won't work for another. I ended up having to go for men's shoes because none of the women's were comfortable. I have Brooks.