Temporary Vegetarian making it Permanent!

Options
I’ve been a temporary vegetarian many times. You know, 30 days here, 6-week challenge this, 1 day fast, etc. Recently I’ve decided that I really love the way my body feels and responds to a vegetarian diet. Add that to the fact I want to lose 65 lbs. I thought no time is better than now. I’m surrounded by several friends that have adopted the vegan life… I ain’t quite ready for that. I’m like the Dairy Queen! Yeah, I know I better be careful with the dairy, sighs. I do plan to go Vegan. I need a little or a lot of adjustment time, like 12 months I’m thinking.

I started just this Sunday and Monday night I forgot I was a vegetarian. Yep, just that quick! Woke up the next day like Oh Crap, I’m a vegetarian. Lol! I’ve been sober since that night. I definitely need a 12 step program or...

Anyhoo, any Vegetarians/Vegans out there, newbies, vets, etc. Any tips, words of advice for this wonderful journey I’m embarking on!

Replies

• Pfitzer
    Pfitzer Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Good for you! I've been vegan for about a year now, but I transitioned into it very slowly. Don't give up if you "cheat" once and awhile, no one is perfect. Feel free to add me as a friend :)
  • jaidith1
    Options
    i have done the on and off vegetarianism too. i did it for 5 years then went back to eating meat. i gained 20 lbs in that time so now i am back to being a vegetarian for good. i have lost 10 lbs so far with diet and exercise! being vegetarian isn't too bad if you make your own food there are a lot of recipes that are really good. i eat fish so i survive.
  • Starla_86
    Options
    I've been a vegetarian for 4 years now and I will never go back to eating meat. The primary reason for me was seeing factory farming and how the public is blinded by the fact we're just mass producing these poor animals in the most disgusting and disturbing conditions that no living creature should have to endure.
    There are the most wonderful vegetarian recipes out there and so many meat substitutes that you don't even notice meat missing from your diet. You should see if you have any of the 'Tofurkey' products at your local supermarket, they're delicious!
    Good luck on your journey! :)
  • rosemarypepper
    rosemarypepper Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    hello,

i've been vegan for 6 yrs. going vegetarian was super easy (as was going vegan). this video should make you never want to eat meat again: http://www.meatvideo.com/.

start cooking with ingredients you never thought you'd use. if you don't like them, keep trying them. i love tofu, but it took me a little while to get used to it. seitan and tempeh are great too if you want a meaty texture. but mostly i eat legumes. it's super easy to get plant-based protein. i probably get too much of it

over time you stop craving meat. it helps if it repulses you, which it should if you know anything about where it comes from
  • katejkelley
    katejkelley Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    I've been slowly cutting the meat out of my diet. I still eat fish, love yogurt, and put milk on my Kashi Go Lean every morning, so I'll probably never be vegan. But I do feel better without all the meat, and my weight seems to be dropping faster since I stopped having meat with lunch and dinner.
  • joseejolie
    joseejolie Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Oh wow, this post is a god send! I need vegetarian support here too! Please add me!! I need help with recipes etc!