A question for the runners!

Options
So I have just discovered that I love running!! Yaaaay! Before I hated it b/c I was pushing myself to hard to fast and thus couldn't do anything. Now I am going slow but for longer (20-30min) :) and I feel so amazing when I am running...like my brain turns off and all worries go away :):) So I have two questions about kicking it up a notch

1) It takes me forever to "warm up" - is there a way to decrease my "warm up" time? Even if I am warmed up the first 5 min of running are hell, pure hell .... Is there a way to decrease that as well or do I just get used to it/accept the pain?

2) Right now I am running on the treadmill at a 2.5 incline jogging from 5.3 -5.8 mph for 20-30 min... whats the best way to train to go faster (goal of 6mph for 30 min aka 3 miles) annnnd whats the best way to transition to outdoor running (pacing is my biggest problem when i try to run outside now )

Thanks for the help!!!!!

Replies

• rotcas01
    Options
    I usually walk for 5 mins or so before I start running so that my muscles are a bit loose but honestly, the first few minutes before you hit the runners high are bound to be a bit worse, so you might just have to get used to it.

Running outside makes pacing hard, but try buying a runners watch that can track your pace. My ipod nano has an app where it tells me how fast my pace in and therefore keeps me from going too fast or too slow. I have been running since freshman year of highschool and still have trouble pacing so trying purchasing or using something that can track it for you.

Happy Running!
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Honestly...almost my entire first MILE is hell for me until I hit my stride. I don't think it's a matter of "warming up" it's a matter of letting yourself go and enjoying the run. I think everyone is different in that aspect.
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the secret runners' club! j/k

It usually takes me about a mile (8-9 minutes) until I feel warmed up. There's nothing you can do to speed the process--just go with it.

There are free apps like mapmyrun that you can download on your phone to track tim, pace, and distance. I have a Nike+ Sport watch that I use. Good luck!
  • k7n2w3
    k7n2w3 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Well to start, i have many running friends and i have to say the concensus is that the first mile is the worst and hardly enjoyable! lol I absolutely love running but never can i say whoohoo to that first mile... just all the rest!
    Speed will come over time, however doing intervals at a track can help, easiest i've found is jog for mile than around a quarter mile track sprint the straight aways and jog the turns, cool down with a mile. When you get more distance then it turns into run fast around half the track and run normal 1/4 of it, and eventually it's longer distance but that's a good starting plan.
    You can incorporate hills into your program too and naturally that will increase your speed.
    Good luck to you, and welcome to the world of crazies! :-)... oh and there's a great post on here that is "you might be a runner if"
  • Suz_w8loss
    Suz_w8loss Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Honestly...almost my entire first MILE is hell for me until I hit my stride. I don't think it's a matter of "warming up" it's a matter of letting yourself go and enjoying the run. I think everyone is different in that aspect.

^^^this

The only way to transition from treadmill to outdoors is to just start running outside. You will definitely not be as "fast" outside as you are on the treadmill. Outside pounding the pavement is a totally different workout than the treadmill. As far as improving time, that will come naturally the longer you are running (time wise, not necessarily distance).
    There are some good running Apps that are free that you can download. There are several GPS watches (Garmin, Nike, Timex etc.) also that can track your pace.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    1) It takes me forever to "warm up" - is there a way to decrease my "warm up" time? Even if I am warmed up the first 5 min of running are hell, pure hell .... Is there a way to decrease that as well or do I just get used to it/accept the pain?
    That is normal and is the same for everybody. The first few minutes are harder until your metabolism switches into running mode.
    2) Right now I am running on the treadmill at a 2.5 incline jogging from 5.3 -5.8 mph for 20-30 min... whats the best way to train to go faster (goal of 6mph for 30 min aka 3 miles)
    The best way is to run more miles and build up your aerobic capacity. 85% of your running should be at an easy pace, 10% at a hard aerobic pace, and 5% at an anaerobic speed pace. So, if you were running 20 miles per week 17 of those miles should be easy, 2 miles should be hard aerobic, and 1 mile speed. As you build up to run more miles you can do more faster running. If you try and do too much speed work at the expense of easy running you will increase your chance of injury and short your aerobic development meaning you will actually race slower at any distance above about a mile.
  • k7n2w3
    k7n2w3 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Ps Runkeeper.com is a great app for phone... i will forever save the email they sent congratulating me when i hit 1,000 miles :-) it shows distance, time, calories, a map, and tracks all different workouts. i've tried a lot of different apps and thats my fave
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    The point of the warm-up is to slowly raise your heart rate before you stretch your muscles. When you first start out, you won't "feel" anything really from the warm-up. Just walk briskly for about 5-10 minutes and that's enough for most people. For newbies, about 3 minutes can sometimes be enough. After the warm-up, spend a few minutes stretching, then you are ready to start the "work" part of your work-out.
  • redhousecat
    redhousecat Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    I always feel like a big lug for the first mile. I recently discovered that if I did my little stint of pushups, situps, squats, planks etc (like when I was in the Army) it helps get me going a little better.

Of course, that is me. Plus, I'm not a huge fan of running so psychologically I am probably hindering myself as well.
  • delta90017
    Options
    Warm ups are good to avoid injury, but don't do much to avoid the one-mile wall. when i run marathons, I hit a 20-mile wall, but when I am working out, it also happens in the first one half to one mile. Just have to run through it.
  • javiersito21
    javiersito21 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Yep, first mile blows the big one, glad i'm not alone on this.

If you run on a treadmill at a gym, you can always do the rest of your workout first then run at the end. This helps me a bit just like some have already mentioned.
  • Kdubuclet
    Kdubuclet Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I usually walk at a 7-10% incline for 3 to 5 minutes to warm up, but as you can tell, the first 5 minutes is hard sometimes. I know once I get that point..it's all good :)

As far as increasing your pace I have heard that changing your steady pace helps. I use my music to determine my pace. Sometimes it's go go go go and other times it's high energy, but at a slower pace. I am trying to incorporate cycling to help me with my running.

Glad you enjoy running :)
  • pacagirl
    Options
    Tips for picking up the pace..... what always works for me is interval training. Rotating interval days with straight run days has (and still does) help me increase my speed as well as the duration I can run. Personally I like the long straight runs better which is why I rotate days --- going back to the runs I love (at an increasingly faster pace) keeps me enjoying the exercise and not getting burnt out. The interval training gets me to compete against myself and push harder too which keeps me from getting bored doing the same workout over and over. And I think the joy of looking forward to my long straight run days keeps me motivated to keep going back to the gym.

There's lots of websites on line that talk through various interval training programs, walk, jog - walk, run - or jog, run ---- generally you start with shorter intervals of the fast pace and work up till your doing longer intervals and faster intervals at the fast pace..... I generally end up making up my own program now that I've identified what works for me and keeps me enjoying running.
  • LanderRose81
    LanderRose81 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I am also part of the "dreaded 1st mile club" :laugh: Some days are better than others - but mostly I don't hit my "groove" until after mile one. I am working on getting my pace and my mindset all together!

Just keep at it - you will figure it all out, everyone is different. :wink:
  • BucsGirl4Life
    BucsGirl4Life Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Glad to see that the first mile is the difficult one for the majority...I thought it was just me. Once I get past mile one....I can run for hours!
  • kimmae17
    kimmae17 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    the best thing for me to increase my speed is intervals. if you are comfortable at a 5.5 mpg pace run that for two minutes, then for 15 - 20 seconds run at 6.0 then back to 5.5. now my "jog" is around 6.2 and my sprints are between 7.5 and 8
  • fabfindz05
    fabfindz05 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    This! The first mile for me is killer then I settle in. I have a Garmin that I use. I bought it because I do run\walk intervals. Seeing my pace is a bonus. I'm getting much better as setting my own pace, but there are times that I look at my Garmin and think "you need to slow your butt down!"
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Same here. The first mile is always the "longest" for me. I have to bargain with myself... "Just go one mile, then if you still hate this, turn around and go home." The way I figure, that way I'll at least get a 2 mile workout in. But after the first mile, I'm golden.

One time, when I was ready to quit before the first mile, and kept going, I ended up going 11 miles. (With walk intervals.)

The only way to transition to outdoors is to just get outdoors. Personally, I find it much easier to run outside. There's constant scenery, and I don't have the numbers on the treadmill staring at me... mocking me. And airflow. Ahhh... sweet airflow. Even on a calm day, I'm still creating my own 6-8mph breeze!

The right music can help me keep my pace. I try to go easy enough that I can sing along... or at least mouth the words.
  • runs4zen
    runs4zen Posts: 769 Member
    Options

This is me. Other than a few leg swings and a couple of "sun salutations" I don't warm up. I do some high stepping and lunges after runs and sometimes do some speedwork.

I don't do treadmills so can't comment on transitioning!
  • sandiegosummer
    Options
    Thank you all for the responses!!!

Ok good glad to know that the first mile or so sucks and that it's not just me :)

I will start adding some more intervals to my runs - I am already doing that a little bit going from 5.5. to 5.8 for a min or so and I always do two sprints at 6.8 (30-45 seconds each)
    I always feel like a big lug for the first mile. I recently discovered that if I did my little stint of pushups, situps, squats, planks etc (like when I was in the Army) it helps get me going a little better.

That's exactly what I am doing in my workout - I normally start out doing a weight loss or interval course on the elliptical for 45 min, then do my strength training, then hit the treadmill...i think it really helps to break up the cardio like that :)

I think for me it's the mental issue of keeping focus past the "hell" part - maybe some really awesome music will help.. any suggestions?? thanks again