*Waves* Shyly from Wisconsin

Options
2»

Replies

• Smiling_Sara
    Smiling_Sara Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Hey, it sounds like your problem is more psychological than anything else. I lost about 60lbs a couple of years ago and then put it all back on (and then some) within 6 months. I have a problem in that something happened to me when I was a child so I kept myself fat and overweight to keep myself 'safe' from attention. When I lost it, I started getting a lot more attention so I freaked out and put it all back on (with the help of some very unhelpful medication). It's really hard to come to terms with the fact that being thinner will get you more attention. The way I'm trying to combat it is by looking at pictures of myself when I was smaller and asking myself what I liked about them. I really liked the way my face looked and my waist. I just take it step by step and I figure eventually I'll love myself a bit more and I'll want to be smaller and won't freak out. I would also suggest some form of therapy to find out why you're so worried about getting attention. If you know why you don't like it that can help to work through it. I hope any of this made sense and it's helpful! Good luck to you. You can do it!

I'm sure it is as well. I lost 94 pounds, and have been slowly gaining back over the past two years ( about 30 pounds ) I can't pinpoint anything happening to me when I was younger. The only thing that came to mind a few months back while thinking what may of caused this way of thinking was when I was in the 5th grade I was at a movie, and an older boy sat next to me and put his arm around me and brushed my breast. So, 5th grade, I was...12ish? I just remembered thinking it would be rude to cause a scene ( co-dependent much? )

I have thought about therapy, but like most thing of the unknown, I have anxiety about talking with someone about what I have in my head.
  • dewdrops4life
    Options
    Wisconsin here, too! Wow, so many Wisconsinites.. I am new here, just started yesterday. Feel free to add me :)
  • sunshine_gem
    sunshine_gem Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Hey, it sounds like your problem is more psychological than anything else. I lost about 60lbs a couple of years ago and then put it all back on (and then some) within 6 months. I have a problem in that something happened to me when I was a child so I kept myself fat and overweight to keep myself 'safe' from attention. When I lost it, I started getting a lot more attention so I freaked out and put it all back on (with the help of some very unhelpful medication). It's really hard to come to terms with the fact that being thinner will get you more attention. The way I'm trying to combat it is by looking at pictures of myself when I was smaller and asking myself what I liked about them. I really liked the way my face looked and my waist. I just take it step by step and I figure eventually I'll love myself a bit more and I'll want to be smaller and won't freak out. I would also suggest some form of therapy to find out why you're so worried about getting attention. If you know why you don't like it that can help to work through it. I hope any of this made sense and it's helpful! Good luck to you. You can do it!

I'm sure it is as well. I lost 94 pounds, and have been slowly gaining back over the past two years ( about 30 pounds ) I can't pinpoint anything happening to me when I was younger. The only thing that came to mind a few months back while thinking what may of caused this way of thinking was when I was in the 5th grade I was at a movie, and an older boy sat next to me and put his arm around me and brushed my breast. So, 5th grade, I was...12ish? I just remembered thinking it would be rude to cause a scene ( co-dependent much? )

I have thought about therapy, but like most thing of the unknown, I have anxiety about talking with someone about what I have in my head.

I can completely understand the anxiety of talking to someone but therapists/counsellors get that and will do everything they can to make you comfortable. Is there maybe a helpline you can call? Sometimes it's easier to talk on the phone when you can't see the person. The reason may also not be sinister. It could be absolutely anything. It might just be your personality to be shy/anxious. A good therapist will be able to give you the tools to help yourself. Hopefully you can learn to see that you deserve to be fit and healthy and whatever you want to be. If you have any questions then feel free to send me a message.