Self Sabotage

Options
I know this probably isn't a new topic.
So like I come up with a really great plan to eat right and exercise but then I self-sabotage myself. Like I dont really make it through a whole day without some form of sabotage (either not working out or eating badly). WTH? How can I get my head in the right space so that I can actually not only accomplish my goals but actually get started on them. I get motivated and then the next day I'm not motivated anymore. Have any of you ladies suffered from this affliction? Any advice on overcoming it?

Replies

• anothermop
    anothermop Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I was very skeptical to start. All week long, I whined and complained about the workouts and the food. Saying things like, "If I don't lose a couple lbs, I'm done with this plan." I made myself stick to the plan for the 1st 7 days, lost like 9 lbs, and motivation has not been an issue in the 7 weeks since. I believe success is the best motivator.

Good luck!
  • awillkies
    awillkies Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    don't know what to say except that for me (just me) i didn't get motivated until i got fed up. i haven't been really ready to get into shape ever in my life. we had to put our dog to sleep 4 wks (today!) and for some reason that became a motivator for me. not sure why but i think i feel i need to do it for him (because he can't) & he would want me to be strong & healthy. not sure if that makes sense or is just wishful thinking but it's getting me through. i am finding the discipline to be the hardest. i start off strong like the excersise & eating well... and then i just give in. i am really working on my discipline this time around. it really is a battle of my wills at this moment. just wanted to share. GOOD LUCK... you can do it if you really want to do it.
  • Themuseinme
    Themuseinme Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Set moderate goals-which push myself a little-if I set them too high, and then fail, i feel bad.So im baby steppin. takes more patience as weight loss is slower. But less bingieng on food and less burnout on exercise.

also visualization and positive affirmations do wonder and magical stuff-like reprograms your brain. check out silva mind control and creative visualization techniques.:heart:

used to be a queen of self sabotoge,too!
    :bigsmile:
  • DivineRED1
    DivineRED1 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Hey, whatever works, if doing it for you doggie is working don't dismiss it. We lost our beloved pug 3 months ago. Miss her everyday.

Discipline is definitely not my strong point. That's something I really do need to correct. I guess just making it like "not an option" will help. The thing is, if I dont work out, no one knows. If I cheat, no one knows. (Well I know and my body knows.) I feel like I have impulse control.
  • DivineRED1
    Options
    Set moderate goals-which push myself a little-if I set them too high, and then fail, i feel bad.So im baby steppin. takes more patience as weight loss is slower. But less bingieng on food and less burnout on exercise.

also visualization and positive affirmations do wonder and magical stuff-like reprograms your brain. check out silva mind control and creative visualization techniques.:heart:

used to be a queen of self sabotoge,too!
    :bigsmile:

Thanks Themuseinme, that's helpful. I do set giant large scale (no pun intended) goals and then get frustrated. I'm an aries. LOL. We tend to see the giant large picture and not the tiny steps to get there. I will use the visualization and positive affirmations more. I've used them sparatically (again with the lack of discipline to keep something going.)
  • TexasSunny
    TexasSunny Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    <<<<<<Make yourself an inspiration/motivation board. Make it on the computer and save it as your desktop. I put things I love, things that motivate me, future rewards, and inspirational words. Something that you make, that is personal to you, might help!
  • DivineRED1
    Options
    <<<<<<Make yourself an inspiration/motivation board. Make it on the computer and save it as your desktop. I put things I love, things that motivate me, future rewards, and inspirational words. Something that you make, that is personal to you, might help!

Good idea. I do have a vision board at home but it's not tied specifically to fitness/weight loss.
  • eddysuchydvm
    eddysuchydvm Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Just accept the fact that results will take time to really see and feel. I do okay for a few days, then a bad day, then okay again for a few days. Haven't been exercising much, either (working a lot of hours and get home late, too much to do at home, etc.). Anyway, I pulled on a pair of slacks today that I could barely fit into when I got them and in fact, had to keep them unbuttoned just to feel comfortable. So I put them on this morning and drove to work. Half way there, it hit me: they fit! I haven't weighed myself in two weeks because I've had bad days and I don't want to be discouraged by the scale. I'm glad, too. I still don't know if I've lost more. Right now, I don't care, because I kept at it despite the bad days and I'm feeling good today. Who knows what tomorrow will bring?

In terms of motivation, I love to run, but at my weight I'm just uncomfortable going out in my neighborhood since I feel like people probably point and stare. Actually, 2 years ago I was training for a marathon (still overweight) and just STOPPED and never really started again all because two idiot teenagers drove by me and yelled, "run fatty, run!". Yep, I've let that idiot comment keep me from running in public.

Anyway, my point is that even if you aren't perfect every day, you're probably doing better than you were before. Sometimes it takes a few weeks to really get into it and you'll notice that you spend more days being good than not. But you know what? Slow weight loss is the best anyway, so you're better off easing yourself into it and creating a habit out of it, than just going out there, doing GREAT for two weeks and then fizzling out!
  • mirasmom02
    Options
    Read what it says on your profile pic....then read it again! Just know that obviously you are not alone & we all have the same struggles. So what?!?! So, you ate a few chocolate chip cookies or had a peice of birthday cake or went out with coworkers to a lunch buffet... Do NOT get down on yourself for "messing up" it's gonna be okay - get up, take walk around the block or use that piece of workout equipment (that we all have & don't use enough...that does more duty as a laundry holder than what its supposed to be for) & then eat better at your NEXT meal. I decided to put a pic on my fridge of what I looked like a few years ago (when I lost the weight the first time). I carry the same pic in my wallet so that I will have to look at it if I have to pull money out if I decide to go to a drive thru. It works...most of the time... but don't let a little (or even a big) slip-up ruin your whole day or week...and most importantly, don't let that get in the way of your goal! Good luck!
  • DivineRED1
    Options
    Just accept the fact that results will take time to really see and feel. I do okay for a few days, then a bad day, then okay again for a few days. Haven't been exercising much, either (working a lot of hours and get home late, too much to do at home, etc.). Anyway, I pulled on a pair of slacks today that I could barely fit into when I got them and in fact, had to keep them unbuttoned just to feel comfortable. So I put them on this morning and drove to work. Half way there, it hit me: they fit! I haven't weighed myself in two weeks because I've had bad days and I don't want to be discouraged by the scale. I'm glad, too. I still don't know if I've lost more. Right now, I don't care, because I kept at it despite the bad days and I'm feeling good today. Who knows what tomorrow will bring?

In terms of motivation, I love to run, but at my weight I'm just uncomfortable going out in my neighborhood since I feel like people probably point and stare. Actually, 2 years ago I was training for a marathon (still overweight) and just STOPPED and never really started again all because two idiot teenagers drove by me and yelled, "run fatty, run!". Yep, I've let that idiot comment keep me from running in public.

Anyway, my point is that even if you aren't perfect every day, you're probably doing better than you were before. Sometimes it takes a few weeks to really get into it and you'll notice that you spend more days being good than not. But you know what? Slow weight loss is the best anyway, so you're better off easing yourself into it and creating a habit out of it, than just going out there, doing GREAT for two weeks and then fizzling out!

Oh I dont workout in public. I might walk (never been a fan of running ever, too jarring on the knees and no matter how great a sports bra is, its not great enough for running with giant boobs). I stopped going to this great pilates studio b/c A: it's not convenient for me to get there before work since I move and B: b/c I'm the largest person there and all those mirrors were not helping.
  • DivineRED1
    Options
    Read what it says on your profile pic....then read it again! Just know that obviously you are not alone & we all have the same struggles. So what?!?! So, you ate a few chocolate chip cookies or had a peice of birthday cake or went out with coworkers to a lunch buffet... Do NOT get down on yourself for "messing up" it's gonna be okay - get up, take walk around the block or use that piece of workout equipment (that we all have & don't use enough...that does more duty as a laundry holder than what its supposed to be for) & then eat better at your NEXT meal. I decided to put a pic on my fridge of what I looked like a few years ago (when I lost the weight the first time). I carry the same pic in my wallet so that I will have to look at it if I have to pull money out if I decide to go to a drive thru. It works...most of the time... but don't let a little (or even a big) slip-up ruin your whole day or week...and most importantly, don't let that get in the way of your goal! Good luck!

You're right, I'm a total "all or nothing" type of personality, which is something I'm really trying to change.
    Thanks for the nice words of encouragement!
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I think if you subconsciously sabotage yourself constantly that it means you're not happy with what you're doing right now. Do you feel too deprived of your favorite things? Does exercising still feel like a chore? Are you getting singled out in a negative way for the choices you are making right now? Try to find the issue that is making you not want to succeed on some level.

For the record, I have something bad for me every single day. As long as you hit your macros eating good, healthy food and you have the calories left over for it (portion control is key here), it's not really sabotage. In fact, eating a cookie or some frozen yogurt every day is what keeps me sane.
  • DivineRED1
    Options
    I did make an immediate goals weight loss vision board.
  • doreenOrtiz
    doreenOrtiz Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I am like you a lot but, I read a post on here once called motivation jars This girl took to jars decorated them and one jar was pounds she wanted to lose and the other was pounds lost. So I decided to make jars of my own and it does seem to help Because every time a gain a pound back I have to place a rock back in the jar that says unwanted pounds it makes me mad so I try harder. Just a suggestion!
  • DivineRED1
    Options
    I am like you a lot but, I read a post on here once called motivation jars This girl took to jars decorated them and one jar was pounds she wanted to lose and the other was pounds lost. So I decided to make jars of my own and it does seem to help Because every time a gain a pound back I have to place a rock back in the jar that says unwanted pounds it makes me mad so I try harder. Just a suggestion!

That's interesting!