Cardio vs. Weights

Options
Hi!
A few quick questions-
1. I am trying to lose about five pounds and have been eating at the maintenance level of what I would be at 120 lbs. I know that I will not lose weight rapidly- however, I do not like the whole "diet mentality," and feeling very restricted.
I also set it on "Sedentary" so I am actually burning a few more calories than what my goal is.
For instance, my goal for 120 lbs. sedentary is 1610 calories. I worked out today and burned almost 400 calories so I have roughly 2000 calories to eat in order to not gain weight. Is it okay to eat back the calories I burn working out? Do you eat back your exercise calories?

2. Because I am focused on "calorie" amounts I have been doing a lot of cardio versus the weights. When at the last five pounds. What would you recommend? Any kind of program, plan, etc.?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Replies

• Dan112358
    Dan112358 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Be careful chasing those "last xx pounds". Often times, people get hung up on a number on a scale chasing them. I'd focus more on what you see in the mirror & how your clothes fit rather than the number on the scale. Strength training should be included so your last 5 pounds are fat & not muscle. When I went into "maintenance", I made sure I was hitting my goals with my nutrition, ate exercise calories if I felt like I needed to, and focused more on strength training than on cardio.
  • RedHeadDevotchka
    RedHeadDevotchka Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Be careful chasing those "last xx pounds". Often times, people get hung up on a number on a scale chasing them. I'd focus more on what you see in the mirror & how your clothes fit rather than the number on the scale. Strength training should be included so your last 5 pounds are fat & not muscle. When I went into "maintenance", I made sure I was hitting my goals with my nutrition, ate exercise calories if I felt like I needed to, and focused more on strength training than on cardio.

This. Throw out that scale! Strength training is probably going to make you gain weight, I gained 7 lbs and I'm much happier with how I look then I did when I was 7 lbs lighter.
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Strength would make you LOOK like you lost the last five pounds, even if you didn't.
    I would say those last 5lbs are normally "vanity" pounds and strength might help you shift just a couple of inches and feel like you've really "arrived" at your goal.
  • Mocha02
    Mocha02 Posts: 96
    Options
    Don't eat back all calories. You need to still be in a caloric deficit in order to lose weight. You only eat them ALL back if you're maintaining.
  • Jimmytreatingtons
    Jimmytreatingtons Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I agree 110% with Dan2K11, go on looks and how you feel not what the scales say, and what you 'should' weigh.
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    Forget the number on the scale, go by the way your clothing fits.

I recently started lifting weights and my scale has moved maybe 2 pounds, but my clothing is getting saggy, so I know it's changing the shape of my body.

It's not all about The Magic Number.
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    Don't eat back all calories. You need to still be in a caloric deficit in order to lose weight. You only eat them ALL back if you're maintaining.

If you're using MFP correctly it's set up to account for excercise calories to be eaten back and you still be at the specified deficit.
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options

This. Throw out that scale! Strength training is probably going to make you gain weight, I gained 7 lbs and I'm much happier with how I look then I did when I was 7 lbs lighter.

^^^^^^^^ This. Often those "last few pounds" is not about the scale, but what you are seeing in the mirror. FORGET the scale. FORGET cardio. Eat at maintenance or a VERY VERY slight deficit and start some strength training. You will recomposition your body and I think you will be VERY happy with the results.
  • mpf1
    mpf1 Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    Excellent question, bump