Where to start & learn about good diet/nutrition etc?

Options
Hiya,
I an Katy, I have recently gained 2 stones after starting a new medicine that makes me hungary.

I am gutted, really feel awful, 95% of my clothes don't fit me - and I LOVE clothes and have a LOT of them.

I am feeling lethargic, huge and horrible and really want to lose quite a lot super fast and then keep at a health weight and have a healthy lifestyle.

I have not exercised for over 2 years due to a shoulder injury but am really feeling ready to get moving again.

I have got the MFP app and am filling in foods and today I have done a very brisk walk for 30 mins and it felt good.

I just need advice on how to get myself up to speed on healthy stuff etc - the internet is an absoulote minefield and I could spend the rest of my life just 'surfing' and learning not much.

Anyone point me in the right direction for a good place to start?

Thanks in advance
Katy x

Replies

• lindsayforlife
    lindsayforlife Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I find Mark's Daily Apple a great resource. It tells you what your body REALLY needs and how to exercise to gain energy.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/#axzz22ynEjf2Y
  • Lazygal53
    Lazygal53 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    bump
  • CharMarieDavis
    Options
    What my doctor told me- "If God didn't create it, don't eat it"
    Try to minimize things you eat that come pre-packaged (Can, frozen, etc) And focus on eating things fresh. Poultry, Seafood, Beef, Fruits, Veggies, etc. Buying things fresh cut down on your sodium intake and you will feel better within days! Also, it is essential to drink 64 oz. of water a day!
  • Natsume
    Natsume Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I would recommend Nutrition for Dummies. These books make it easy to stay entertained and amused. The information is also easy to understand.
  • rcolours7
    Options
    get a support group and look at other people's diary.

i would also recommend looking at the Dr. Oz website for nutrition.

think the "outside food isle in grocery store" - dairy (milk, cheese, eggs, egg whites etc), whole grains (pastas, breads, some cereals, definitely oatmeal) all fruits/veggies - the more colors the better. fish (cod, halibut, tilipia (sp), flounder, sword fish, tuna etc - healthy fats)

also, nuts are great snack foods & easy to have at ur desk drawer.

doing great so far if you are starting to take walks during ur lunch break. keep that up as much as possible. take the stairs in ur building too if u work on the 2nd or 3rd floor.

if you find this helpful and want to add me as a friend - feel free to do so.

have a great day
  • VogtAndrea
    VogtAndrea Posts: 236
    Options
    I gather from you are from somewhere that uses british measures so am sending you to a UK website.
    Try going to this one and read everything you can and then look at the resources available from this site. http://www.foodguidepyramid.co.uk/uk-food-pyramid-eatwell-plate.html
  • MonkRocker
    MonkRocker Posts: 198
    Options
    This is a good read on beginner fitness/nutrition:

http://www.liamrosen.com/fitness.html
  • rore1
    rore1 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    you got awesome advice!!! i have been exercising for over 3 years. it is great but what i learned most is that it is the amount and kind of calories you take in. stay with the natural foods we have been given...nuts,veggies,fruits,meat etc.....it is not easy for some of us (i love my chocolate and caramle too much ) but it is what our bodies need...good luck!
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options

That's about the last place you should look, unless you want to purchse products and programs he's hawking.

leangains.com
    bodyrecomposition.com

Are a couple good sites.

Just my opinion.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,248 Member
    Options
    And as we can see from these answers, who you ask will change what they "think" is good diet/nutrition information.

One thing I DO agree with is to stay away from Dr. Oz's website. He's a quack that has sold out totally. So, unless you want to buy a bunch of supplements that won't do anything, just stay away from him.

Otherwise, it's about what works best for you. Some people like to eat "clean" while others are in the "everything in moderation" group. Some think you have to do low carb while others do better on higher carbs. Some people do IF and some break their meals down throughout the day. Some do primal and some think it's silly.

There is just SO much information out there, that you have to sort through it and decide for yourself. It's not easy.
  • pensfan1
    pensfan1 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I've been eating better for just over a year now and was really clueless when I started. Be careful not to get too fixated on the details or you'll likely get overwhelmed. I'm working with a nutritionist and she's stressing to focus on calories consumed as compared to carloies burned. If you burn more than you consume, you'll lose weight. Many people on this site give great advice about what types of foods to eat, but if it overwhelms you at first, just focus on the number of calroies that you're eating until you're used to that and then move on to focusing on clean eating, low carb, or whatever appeals to you.

Best of luck!
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

That's about the last place you should look, unless you want to purchse products and programs he's hawking.

leangains.com
    bodyrecomposition.com

Are a couple good sites.

Just my opinion.
    Agreed on both counts.
  • ikatypie
    Options
    Wow, thank you so much.
    I have a few to start with there then.

I have my 6 year old's party on Sunday and just ate cakes and chocolate while baking this morning - feel terrible about it.

Gotta really get going with this.

Thanks again

Katy x x x
  • zosia141
    zosia141 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Bump