Protein Shake ideas please

Options
tsheetz
tsheetz Posts: 25 Member
Quick question. I like being able to drink a protein shake for breakfast because I am in a hurry and it is quick and easy. The problem is that I am unable to use any kind of Whey Protein. It tears me up. I am currenlty drinking the Strawberry Vegan Shakeology and I do like it but not the price. Is anyone else using some type of Vegan protein to make shakes? If so, could you please share with me what you like?

Replies

• JoyTLA
    JoyTLA Posts: 18
    Options
    I'm drinking the Garden of Life Raw Vegan protein chocolate flavored. Honestly, it is not the most delicious protein powder, but it is very nutritious and filling. I mix 1 scoop with unsweetened chocolate almond milk and a teaspoon of peanut butter. It has no sugar and more than 20 grams of protein.
  • bethc370
    bethc370 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I drink the Svelte premade protein shakes. They are pretty darned yummy.
    www.sveltebrand.com
  • pfeiferfit
    pfeiferfit Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Vega. Also expensive but I buy it at sport nutrition depot online (Canada)
  • minnie212
    Options
    I have never tried these, I am looking into them though as I've heard they are good, can someone tell me how and when to use them for the most effect?
  • tsheetz
    tsheetz Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I appreciate the input. As for when to use them Minnie, that is really up to you. Some people use them for recovery after exercise. I choose to replace a meal with them.
  • Four_Leaf_Clover
    Four_Leaf_Clover Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    You can get samples of Vega at Whole Foods to see if you like it.
  • allie_girl
    Options
    I like Plant Fusion a lot - it comes in sample packs as well! I rotate that between Arbonne Essentials Figure 8.

My favorite recipe:
    1-2 scoop chocolate protein (160 cals)
    1 cup coconut almond milk (45 cals)
    1 small frozen banana - frozen cut up (95 cals)
    1 pack of Truvia (optional)

Blend, eat with a spoon and it's like ice cream/pudding!
  • DPernet
    DPernet Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Peanut Butter and Banana Milkshake :D
  • rchupka87
    rchupka87 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I actually just posted this the other day.... Check this out, and look at her website. She has a TON!!! :drinker:
  • MonicaT1972
    Options
    Vega. Also expensive but I buy it at sport nutrition depot online (Canada)

Have you looked at the sodium content? I bought some and promptly returned it when I saw the sodium content, it's insane.
  • NewBeginning11
    NewBeginning11 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Not sure about Vegan or not, but I really like the Swiss Chocolate GNC Lean Shake as a meal replacement. Tastes like the old fudgsicle pops! Definately not a chalky unpleasant taste.
  • ElyseL1
    ElyseL1 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Quick question. I like being able to drink a protein shake for breakfast because I am in a hurry and it is quick and easy. The problem is that I am unable to use any kind of Whey Protein. It tears me up. I am currenlty drinking the Strawberry Vegan Shakeology and I do like it but not the price. Is anyone else using some type of Vegan protein to make shakes? If so, could you please share with me what you like?

does the whey one give you a stomach ache? i tried some yesterday and my stomach was killing me for a abt two hrs. I wasnt sure if it was because i was grossed out or if it really did just give me a stomach ache. i'm lactose intolerant but this one, isopure, is supposed to be lactose free.
  • dzarello
    dzarello Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    One glass of chocolate milk. Cheaper then protein powder. More readily available. Tastes better!
  • WhitneyT586
    WhitneyT586 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I had this for breakfast today. It was wonderful, the most delicious I've made yet. I use EAS Soy Vanilla Powder.

Cake Batter Shake
    1 c. Skim Milk
    1 scoop EAS Soy vanilla protein powder
    1 frozen banana, chopped
    1/4 tsp almond extract
    1/4 tsp butter flavor
    1T. cheesecake or vanilla sugar free pudding mix.
    1 tsp Metamucil Clear fiber powder

Blend it up, add ice if needed for consistency. Yummy!

Nutrition Info:
    Calories: 390
    Carbs: 67
    Fat: 2
    Protein: 29
    Fiber: 8
    Sodium: 606

Also, check out the blog at www.runsforcookies.com for some awesome recipes.
  • Athena98501
    Athena98501 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I'm not vegan, but I just checked what a vegan friend uses. She uses Vega Sport Performance Protein, and Nutribiotic Vegan Rice Protein Powder.

If you aren't too fond of the flavors of whatever you choose you could always blend it into a fruit smoothie, it makes for more variety anyway.
  • WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr
    WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr Posts: 2,150 Member
    Options
    If you want to make a shake, here's a recipe I found works okay, you would probably need to switch out the milk and yogurt for soy/almond/rice versions:
    3/4 cup non fat yogurt
    1/4 cup light coconut milk
    3 tbsp nonfat milk powder
    2 tsp honey
    1/2 tsp vanilla
    4 ice cubes

Choosed 1 of the following to add: 1 banana, 1 apple (peeled and cored) + 1 tbsp flaxseed meal, 8 strawberries (fresh or frozen) + 1 tbsp flaxseed meal, 4 oz frozen mixed berries +1 tbsp flaxseed meal, 3/4 cup seedless red grapes + 1 tbsp flaxseed meal (if you used the grapes, do not add honey), OR 1tangerine/small orange +1 tbsp flaxseed meal

Choose 1 of the following to add: 1/2 avacado, 1 tbsp natural peanut butter, 1 tbsp raw or regular almond butter, 1 tbsp tahini, OR 1 tbsp sunflower see butter

Optional: Choose 1 of the following to add: 1 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder OR 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon

Combine all ingredients and blend until well mixed and frothy
  • sammniamii
    sammniamii Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I used to use one called Sprutine that was little to no whey (have several forms other forms of protein like soy, rice & pea). They do make packets so you can try them before popping the bucks for the larger sizes. Yes, they were alittle costly, but before I figured out what I could tolerate (and I went low carb) they were almost all I used. Plus, mixed w/ soy, almond or coconut milk, comes out to a nice breakfast shake.

Plus, if you are lactose sensitive (I am) i found whey "Isolates" have very little to no lactose in them. Another brand called Unjury , which may be helpfully (their Chocolate Splendor is great) which I contacted them about their lactose content and they supplied some great information (very little to none).
  • Tonia62
    Tonia62 Posts: 4
    Options
    I love a protein powder called Unjury. Vanilla flavored and tastes great! 21 grams of protein. I order them on amazon and have them shipped to my house. My recipe for lunch:

1 scoop of Vanilla Unjury
    1 T fresh peanut butter
    1 banana
    1 cup almond milk
    Ice and blend.
  • blumuffin46
    Options
    Which website, I'm ready for some more ideas and recipes as well.
    Thanks