Whats in your brown bag today???

Options
Im just wondering what everyone else bring to eat for lunch at work. Currently Im stuck at turkey, cheese sandwiches or PB&J. I really need to think outside the box or something. I tried bringing left overs but I seem to get tired of eating the pot roast or chicken breast more than 2 sittings.

Replies

• pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    A sandwich thin whole wheat pita stuffed with avocado egg salad, lettuce, and provolone cheese. A side of cauliflower in cheese sauce.
  • TheArmadillo
    TheArmadillo Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Today I had some leftovers from yesterdays lunch (I was at home then) - roasted tomatoes and feta with basil (they were good cold), tinned tuna mixed with red onion and harrisa (the one I buy skips the red pepper part and is just chilli paste with spices), and rocket (arugula) leaves. It looked a bit odd but was delicious.

Tomorrow I am having leftover chicken curry from the other day (we have a microwave to reheat stuff) and probably rocket or some kind of salad with that. I used up a lot of 1/2 portions of dinner for lunches.

Otherwise I have a lot of salads or homemade soup. Sometimes jacket potatoes (I do them at home in the oven so they are crispy and then reheat in the microwave) with various fillings. I don't like sandwiches particularly so I tend to avoid them, they're ok as a one off but not everyday - too boring.
  • TheArmadillo
    TheArmadillo Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Also with leftovers to stop getting bored - freeze them as kinda home made ready meals and then you can have big gap between having them for dinner and having them for lunch. Takes a while to build up stock in your freezer though.
  • kcdough
    kcdough Posts: 8
    Options
    salad with grilled chicken or protein bar or drink. fruit... healthy foods with less carbs and sugar. K.
  • xunleashed
    xunleashed Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Brown bag today: 1/2 cup of almonds, 2 one liter bottles of water, some baked tilapia and fluke, banana and a protein shake.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I brought oatmeal for breakfast, banana and protein shake for snack, leftovers from last nights supper for lunch (quinoa and roasted vegetables) and greek yogurt and mandarin oranges for snack.
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Three small burritos with spinach, chicken and black olives.
  • eileen7316
    eileen7316 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Thai-style chicken with coconut rice, broccoli, peaches.
  • Gurlyknockout
    Gurlyknockout Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    They all sound so yummy!! I need to amp up my cooking styles.

I should do more fish, chicken over salad for work.
  • mama2mila
    Options
    I had roasted broccoli and potatoes, chopped up a small chicken breast and mixed it in, with some melted cheddar on top. And a cup of watermelon. Morning snack was a hard-boiled egg and some berries. Afternoon snack will be some baby carrots and a small apple.

I generally have leftovers or a salad for lunch. I never get bored of it though, as I love to cook and make many different meals!
  • tararocks
    tararocks Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    try eating the leftovers as a different meal than it was at dinner, for example, grilled chicken breasts and grilled asparagus, zuccini, and peppers is a staple for dinner, howere those grilled veggies dont hold up well on a reheat, and it gets old, so i dice the grilled veggies, dice the chicken , cook some whole grain pasta and toss in a little light or ff italian dressing-great lunch-using leftovers. Or again with the grilled chicken, i dice it up, mix with romaine, a tiny bit of cheese (or sometimes not), a little light cesar dressing, and a low carb tortilla or flat out wrap and ta-da a grilled chicken cesar wrap, again using the leftovers. beef or pork pot roast can be shredded, tossed in 2 tbl of bbq sauce and again a wrap, bread, or pita stuff with some coleslaw tossed in vinegar for some crunch and another yummy lunch using leftovers but much better than reheating dried out pork and potatoes. just a few ideas, i am good with leftovers but i like to mix it up a bit too.
  • Batemama
    Batemama Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Today it's lasagna and a spinach salad with grapes for a snack later (why are red grapes so good?). I can't eat the same leftovers all week either, so I freeze them in single portion containers. It's wonderful for when you are running late. Also, take your pot roast or chicken and turn it into something else and freeze it-taquitos, burritos, bbq chicken pizza. There are tons of websites out there to get inspiration from. My favorite two are skinnymomskitchen.com and budgetbytes.blogspot.com. Easy, healthy, and cheap meals. :)
  • Gurlyknockout
    Gurlyknockout Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the great ideas!! These are going to be very helpful!