**BELLY FAT**

Options
13»

Replies

• LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Let me clarify.. I'm not scared of the scale weight going up.. I'm scared of gaining FAT back as I raise my calorie intake.... I bought all new clothes dang it!

You might gain some. Then you can lose it again. And you'll be healthier and stronger. Consider it an investment in yourself.
  • tishajo
    tishajo Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Bump this one for later.
  • PrincessRunner1
    PrincessRunner1 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I speak from experience when I say cut bad carbs and limit the healthy ones. That's what I've done and I have enough energy to sustain me through my workouts, and I have a flat belly. You can do as many crunches as you want, but if you eat crap, you're not going to see the results you want.
  • NoxDineen
    NoxDineen Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Eat less, eat clean, work out.
  • Matiara
    Matiara Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I have a calorie defecit but i noticed the key thing is also HEAVY LIFTING.

but i have carpal tunnel on both hands constantly wearing braces n with pain spurts here and there and i can't do heavy lifting. this means im SOL? :(

I'm in much the same boat. I don't have carpal tunnel, but I've had arthritis in my joints since childhood. I often have to go lighter than I know I can handle on certain exercises or quit before my muscles are fatigued because my wrists, knees, or ankles get painful or give out and I don't want to compromise form. It's frustrating.
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    Moderate calorie deficit.

Heavy weight lifting.

Adequate protein intake. (1 gram per pound of lean body mass).

How do you calculate the amount of protein needed?
  • SARgirl
    SARgirl Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Let me clarify.. I'm not scared of the scale weight going up.. I'm scared of gaining FAT back as I raise my calorie intake.... I bought all new clothes dang it!

I've been maintaining now for about 7 weeks and started the New Rules of Lifting for Women at that time. I increased my calories (I'm now right around 2100 a day) and I actually lost a pants size (went from a 6 to a 4). I have definitely noticed that I'm firming up and getting some definition.
  • LorinaLynn
    Options

Heavy weight lifting.

If you know your body fat percentage, you can calculate your lean body mass from that. For instance, I'm 138 pounds. If I were 22% body fat I would have about 30 pounds body fat (138 x .22 = 30.36... we'll just round down to 30) and 108 pounds lean body mass (138 - 30 = 108). So I should aim for 108g of protein.

Some also suggest 0.8 pounds per total body weight, so you'd just multiply your body weight by .8, so in my case, that would be 110g of protein. So it's pretty close for me, but really, I just aim for at least 100g, with more on exercise days.
  • itsmarcel
    itsmarcel Posts: 52 Member
    Options

Heavy weight lifting.

As stated earlier, you should take in 1g of protein per pound of lean body mass. You'll need to know your lean body mass. Weight yourself. Then calculate your body fat percentage. There are several methods. I mostly use an electronic monitor but occasionally I'll use calipers. Multiply your weight times (1 - BF%) and you now have your lean body mass.

For example, let's say that you're 100 pounds. Your body fat percentage is 20%. 100 lbs * (1 - .2) = 80 lbs. So you would need 80g of protein. At max, you can consume 1.5 times your lean body mass. In our previous example, that would be 120g.

You could also use MFP to calculate your macros. I'm a low-carber so I do 5% carbs / 35% protein / 60% fat.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,663 Member
    Options

Heavy weight lifting.

Find out your body fat percentage. Multiply that times your weight and that will tell you how much pounds of fat you have. Subtract that from your current weight to get lean body mass weight.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • magj0y
    Options

Heavy weight lifting.

If you know your body fat percentage, you can calculate your lean body mass from that. For instance, I'm 138 pounds. If I were 22% body fat I would have about 30 pounds body fat (138 x .22 = 30.36... we'll just round down to 30) and 108 pounds lean body mass (138 - 30 = 108). So I should aim for 108g of protein.

Some also suggest 0.8 pounds per total body weight, so you'd just multiply your body weight by .8, so in my case, that would be 110g of protein. So it's pretty close for me, but really, I just aim for at least 100g, with more on exercise days.

Thanks, this was the easiest explanation I got. I really suck at math! especially word problems, haha.

110 grams of fat, good lord that seems a lot!
  • WestCoastPhoenix
    WestCoastPhoenix Posts: 802 Member
    Options

Heavy weight lifting.

Thanks, this was the easiest explanation I got. I really suck at math! especially word problems, haha.

Eating fat does not make one fat, also it is 110g of PROTEIN that was mentioned...
  • magj0y
    Options

Heavy weight lifting.

Eating fat does not make one fat, also it is 110g of PROTEIN that was mentioned...

I know. Eating fat/ or eating in general does not make someone fat. I meant to put in protein, thanks for pointing that out.
    110 gs of protein still seems like a lot, to me. I'm not saying it's too much or too little or whatever. it sounds like a lot. as in getting 110 gs of protein in my daily diet.
  • LorinaLynn
    Options

Heavy weight lifting.

That's 110 grams of protein, not fat. I'm closer to 50g of fat.
  • magj0y
    Options

That's 110 grams of protein, not fat. I'm closer to 50g of fat.

I meant to say protein.
  • billyh336
    Options
    Hey the best way to lose stubbern belly fat and does work is fasting like 12 hrs a day so if you don't eat 2 or 3 hrs b4 you go to bed and then just have a late breakfast exercise size on a empty stomach I was stuck at 138 and i am now just 2 weeks later 130 and my nutrition is not good at all tons of ice creame and soda and since I droped the 6 small meals a day I lost 8 pounds and also abs are made in the kitchen not working out 6 small meals a day is a scam
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    my nutrition is not good at all tons of ice creame and soda...abs are made in the kitchen not working out
    Um.