Crunches

Options
I have 2 18inch titanium rods in my spine. I cant bend well enough to do "regular" crunches. I can, however, lift my hips/butt off the floor and can feel the "crunch". Is it the same or even close?

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Real crunches are pretty useless. Leg lifts, or partial leg lifts, are even better. Hip thrusts are good
  • kariberi84
    kariberi84 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Ok, good to know
  • Holmfridur_Gestsdottir
    Options
    The plank is also excellent. You might want do scissors, too. Plenty of good exercises available.
  • jshort152
    Options
    Crunches hurt many peoples backs, I'd avoid them. Go into the captains chair and do knee raises or leg lifts and as you progress I'd go to hanging from a pullup bar and doing the same motion. Hope this helps!

Jesse Short
    ISSA Certifed Personal Trainer
  • Nikkei24
    Nikkei24 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    From what you described you are doing a crunch. It is called a reverse crunch.
  • kariberi84
    Options
    Crunches hurt many peoples backs, I'd avoid them. Go into the captains chair and do knee raises or leg lifts and as you progress I'd go to hanging from a pullup bar and doing the same motion. Hope this helps!

Jesse Short
    ISSA Certifed Personal Trainer

Captains chair?
  • OneFitDude16
    Options
    a real crunch should have your legs in the air at a 90 degree angle
  • FireBrand80
    FireBrand80 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    You might want do scissors, too.

Doesn't she need a partner for that one? Or am I thinking of something else?
  • kariberi84
    Options
    a real crunch should have your legs in the air at a 90 degree angle

Ummm... they were. lol
  • kariberi84
    Options

*cough* You are thinking of something else... completely. LOL
  • FireBrand80
    FireBrand80 Posts: 378 Member
    Options

ok then, moving on
  • hilly215
    hilly215 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I actually have a really crummy neck and my chiro told me earlier this week that I should never ever do a crunch. It puts too much pressure on my neck and spine, even if it's done correctly. He did say that the best option would be to (his words, I swear) "plank till I p*ke". Lol. So that's what I'm trying to do...Not to the extent he suggested, but I'm trying the planking route. And I can feel it in my core, which is great. :laugh:
  • kariberi84
    Options

ok then, moving on

HAHA!! Ok
  • kariberi84
    Options
    I actually have a really crummy neck and my chiro told me earlier this week that I should never ever do a crunch. It puts too much pressure on my neck and spine, even if it's done correctly. He did say that the best option would be to (his words, I swear) "plank till I p*ke". Lol. So that's what I'm trying to do...Not to the extent he suggested, but I'm trying the planking route. And I can feel it in my core, which is great. :laugh:
    Guess I need to google planking. lol
  • cavewoman15
    cavewoman15 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    i've been hearing that crunches and other lay-on-your-back ab exercises are bad, but haven't listened b/c i've always done them. no more! i'm moving to the captains chair. it's super cool looking anyway.
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    lifting your legs like you are saying just uses different muscles. Still a good abdominal excersise IMO.
  • kariberi84
    Options
    i've been hearing that crunches and other lay-on-your-back ab exercises are bad, but haven't listened b/c i've always done them. no more! i'm moving to the captains chair. it's super cool looking anyway.

Again.... captains chair?
  • Cherylwrite
    Cherylwrite Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    A Captain's Chair is an apparatus that you climb into and your legs hang. You support your body with your arms, and you lift your legs against gravity.

It may not be the best description, but hopefully it will help you picture the apparatus. It is usually found in gyms.

With the rods in your back, I would do planks...Get into the push up position and hold it...It forces you to pull in your abs, and it works your whole core. Fabulous exercise. :)
  • kariberi84
    Options
    A Captain's Chair is an apparatus that you climb into and your legs hang. You support your body with your arms, and you lift your legs against gravity.

It may not be the best description, but hopefully it will help you picture the apparatus. It is usually found in gyms.

With the rods in your back, I would do planks...Get into the push up position and hold it...It forces you to pull in your abs, and it works your whole core. Fabulous exercise. :)

Thanks! and I fear the word "apparatus" lol