Calcium problems!

Options
I absolutely can't stand to drink milk! I just don't like the taste but I know it would be really beneficial for my health to add more calcium in my diet, so I guess my question is, would I be better eating more cheese and yogurt or should I just opt for the calcium pills?

Replies

• courtneyleem
    Options
    Do you hate all milk, or just cow milk? Almond milk has calcium comparable (or maybe more than) cow milk.

I don't like white milk, but I do like chocolate milk. So I add some sugar-free nestle syrup to my 1%. I used to hate milk until I switched from 2% to 1%, and it made a world of difference. Play with it a little, maybe you'll find something that works.
  • supergirlie00
    Options
    Truthfully I've never tried almond milk! I just would hate to buy it and have to throw it out because I don't like it! But I just may risk it because even chocolate milk doesn't do it for me. Thanks for the suggestion :)
  • courtneyleem
    Options
    If it doesn't work out, you can use the almond milk in most baking. I used it to make bread for a vegan once, it tasted pretty good for no traditional milk, eggs or butter.
  • somanyrhoades
    somanyrhoades Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Don't increase your cheese intake, it's high in saturated fat which is not a healthy fat. Low fat yogurt is a good option (Greek is healthier than the other kinds) but you have to be careful because a lot of them have a lot of sugar in them and if they don't then they usually have artificial sweeteners. I buy plain yogurt and add my own fruit to flavor it. That being said dairy is not the only source of calcium! You can get enough calcium through other foods. Some of these are: almonds (my personal favorite snack), broccoli, blackstrap molasses (try using it instead of sugar in oatmeal or coffee, it's one of the healthiest sweetners), figs, canned salmon or sardines, soy, almond or rice milk, any leafy green vegetable (kale, mustard greens, spinach) and one of the easiest things to add is sesame seeds! They have 351 mg per quarter cup (that's more than milk). if you don't like the seeds themselves try some tahini (sesame seed butter). Hope this helped!
  • elm2008
    elm2008 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Truthfully I've never tried almond milk! I just would hate to buy it and have to throw it out because I don't like it! But I just may risk it because even chocolate milk doesn't do it for me. Thanks for the suggestion :)
    Soy milk may be a better alternative than almond for you. Almond is thinner and tastes more like regular milk but usually has more calcium. Soy milk is very very smooth. More protein, sugar, and calories than almond, I think the same calcium %. The vanilla kind of reminds me of cookie dough icecream.

My grocery store sells single serving milk cartons (8 oz) of both almond and soy milk. More expensive than buying in a half gallon, but you may want to get a couple to try out.
  • jshort152
    Options
    Overlooked but try Spinach, hope this helps!

Jesse Short
    ISSA Certified Personal Trainer
  • kikimommy
    kikimommy Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Milk is actually not the best source of calcium from a quality perspective. A great deal of research has shown that it actually depletes bones at high levels. Green veggies, almonds, black strap mollasses and some beans are good sources.
    Here is a good article.

http://www.active.com/nutrition/Articles/5-Calcium-Sources-Better-Than-Milk.htm?cmp=23-69
  • supergirlie00
    Options
    Thank you all for the suggestions! I will have to try the spinach and test out the soy and almond milk.
  • supergirlie00
    Options
    Don't increase your cheese intake, it's high in saturated fat which is not a healthy fat. Low fat yogurt is a good option (Greek is healthier than the other kinds) but you have to be careful because a lot of them have a lot of sugar in them and if they don't then they usually have artificial sweeteners. I buy plain yogurt and add my own fruit to flavor it. That being said dairy is not the only source of calcium! You can get enough calcium through other foods. Some of these are: almonds (my personal favorite snack), broccoli, blackstrap molasses (try using it instead of sugar in oatmeal or coffee, it's one of the healthiest sweetners), figs, canned salmon or sardines, soy, almond or rice milk, any leafy green vegetable (kale, mustard greens, spinach) and one of the easiest things to add is sesame seeds! They have 351 mg per quarter cup (that's more than milk). if you don't like the seeds themselves try some tahini (sesame seed butter). Hope this helped!

This!