More exhausted when working otu

Options
I recently started working out again for the past 2 weeks. I am VERY overweight and VERY out of shape. I have just really been doing the elliptical or a couch to 5k program. Everyone says when you work out, you get more energy - however, I am so exhausted after working out. I have no energy left to do anything. Any suggestions?

Replies

• scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    In the long term you will have increased energy. In the short term you will be tired. Keep it up and as you lose weight and get in better shape you will feel much better.
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    It is taking alot of energy out of your body that it is not used to. Try eating within like an hour of going to the gym. Something high protien...This might give you some increased energy.
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    I'm very overweight and when I began working out I would be so tired I'd come home and take naps. As your body gets used to moving more and sweating and using muscles you'll feel less tired and while you won't feel like you drank 90 Redbulls, you'll feel pretty peppy and good about yourself.
  • jonwv
    jonwv Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    It will get better the more you do it. I know that once i finish my work out i have to sit around for about an hour before i even think about going to bed. You might want to try a pre-workout supplement...like craze or something of that nature. I myself take craze and i love it.
  • Life_Is_Good2_Me
    Life_Is_Good2_Me Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I agree with Scott. It's hard to workout when you are overweight (I've been there). Keep moving and once you start losing, you will have more energy and the workout will not be as difficult. Also, make sure you are getting enough to eat and enough protein. If you don't fuel your body appropriately, you will be counter productive!
  • MessyLittlePanda
    MessyLittlePanda Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I've just had a bad session at the gym today and I think it's because I didn't have my usual small snack beforehand (usually I have something around 90 mins before) and my blood sugar dropped. I was knackered after and felt like I couldn't do another thing. Maybe you need to fuel the workouts a bit more - if you are also as you say overweight and out of shape, you may be burning more calories than you realise - as you get fitter, you burn less energy doing the same activities.
  • wheezybreezy
    wheezybreezy Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Ugh thank you for posting this!

I want to work out at 5AM so badly, but every time I do, I am ay too tired and grouchy to go to school all day and then be a good mom once I pick up my babies.

I'll just try to shcedule my workouts around my classes.
  • ShadowChaser16
    Options
    Just keep with it and as you get more fit, you won't be (as) exhausted after. If you're not already try working out before bedtime so you can just go to bed after
  • eje1219
    eje1219 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I know it will eventually get better. I just needed to hear it will :smile:
  • aj_31
    aj_31 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I've been working out for over 2 yrs and I'm still extremely tired every day. Partly because I don't go to bed until 11:00 and get up between 5:30-6:00 and partly because I have a boring job. I think if I didn't have a desk job my energy level would be higher.
  • jonwv
    jonwv Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I know it will eventually get better. I just needed to hear it will :smile:
    That's why we are here, to help each other
  • mjpTennis
    mjpTennis Posts: 6,165 Member
    Options
    It is taking alot of energy out of your body that it is not used to. Try eating within like an hour of going to the gym. Something high protien...This might give you some increased energy.

This has helped me the most. Workout and then hit a high protein snack/meal. Keep at it.
  • gombolyu
    gombolyu Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    At the beggining I was the same way. After some time I realised that I am more tired after cardio than strenght training. After lifting I feel powerfull. When I made my strenght training last time I just had to laugh loudly at the end. I've never thought that will happen to me one day.:)
    And high protein meal after my wo really helped me as well.
  • Sarah_Wins
    Sarah_Wins Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Stick with it! It gets sooooooo much better from here!
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Workouts murdered me when I was at my heaviest!

Interesting thing was that it also tricked my brain into eating more!

I would workout, feel exhausted at the end and then pick up a Big Mac trio on my way home! I would burn 400 - 500 calories at a workout and then eat back over 1200!! Not to mention what the sodium was doing to my system.

Once I started logging and paying attention to my food & calories. I started losing the suggested 1 -2 lbs per week.

Initially the workouts were still brutal! But, over time I have gotten much stronger and now, I am no longer the fat sweaty guy at the back of the class trying to keep up and keep out of sight. Now I am the guy still standing at the end of the class while all the 20sometings are trying to figure out why the "old" guy still has energy!
  • AeiriMuse
    AeiriMuse Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I have to say that it usually depends on your meals as well as your weight. To lose weight, I found the diet goes hand in hand with the exercise. At first, it really beats you up because your body is new to the treatment. Be sure to have a good amount of fresh foods and protein--though a tip someone gave me for the beginning is water and fiber help, too. Sometimes your workout isn't the only thing unusual to your body, but the food is as well. This could cause you some extra discomfort until your body adjusts--hence increased hydration and fiber to help keep your system clean and fully functional.

The key is that it's really difficult in the beginning and it gets easier as you go. Just keep working at it and don't give up!