WHY DO PEOPLE EAT BACK THEIR EXERCISE CALS?!

Options

Replies

• GaryRussell123456
    GaryRussell123456 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    You look great...just curious - how tall are you?

Im 5'5, 187 lbs.
    Im supposed to be 140lbs MAX (according to my doctor)
    I'm 6ft and you weigh more than me? Sorry, but judging by your profile pic I call BS.
  • eddie3716
    eddie3716 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I exercise so I can eat more food. People generally have to eat some of those calories back or else they'll build up a deficit in blood glucose or their glycogen energy stores which will cause your metabolism to drop making you feel weak and tired.
  • OkobojiMomma
    Options
    Makes me wanna eat more!
  • GinaMarieAnderson
    Options
    so some days you're only netting 400 calories??? seems dangerous, but what do i know...
  • ILoveTheBrowns
    ILoveTheBrowns Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    i never ate back any excercise calories....everytime i tried it i wouldnt lose

aaronbefore123.jpg
    aaronafter3.jpg

Great job.

If that is the case then you either burned less calories than you though, or ate more than you though, or had a lower BMR than MFP estimated, or over estimated your activity level. If all of those things in line you would have to eat your exercise calories back in order to lose your goal amount of weight.

i did the old fashioned eat around 1500...lots of protein lift hard 5 days a week run 3 days a week and felt amazing had GREAT muscle, strength and endurance gains and didnt worry about my TDDDE BMR'S BMI'S or FIC'S
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    I just DO NOT get it!! You spend an hour in the gym working off burning 600 cal and then you just eat them back???
    Why would you eat even a LITTLE back??

I thought the point was to burn these calories. WHY does MFP then add them to your food?!

MFP's not the boss of you. Eat what you want, use the site to track. :)
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    Because I know how fuel, physics, biomechanics, and math work.

delicious math.
  • petiteLady89
    petiteLady89 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    If I didn't eat back some or all of my exercise calories it would put me below my bmr.
  • athensguy
    athensguy Posts: 550
    Options
    I just DO NOT get it!! You spend an hour in the gym working off burning 600 cal and then you just eat them back???
    Why would you eat even a LITTLE back??

I thought the point was to burn these calories. WHY does MFP then add them to your food?!

You calling me fat?
  • mermx
    mermx Posts: 976
    Options
    If you don`t want to follow MFP then why be here?
  • rextcat
    rextcat Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    Obese people feel better knowing they can eat more after they workout and as long as they're still in a caloric deficit it works but it just makes people feel better about eating more for the most part.

WTF? Obese people lol.

LOL right? I eat every single calorie back. "obese" at 118 pounds?
    if your 3" and under sure:laugh:
  • cynthiaj777
    cynthiaj777 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Obese people feel better knowing they can eat more after they workout and as long as they're still in a caloric deficit it works but it just makes people feel better about eating more for the most part.

Please look at my pictures, I am definitely not obese . . . this entire sentence is completely nonsensical.

The scariest part about this is his profile says "ISSA Certified Personal Trainer"....... Yikes. :noway:

As a person who has spent the last few years working in gyms I know some great trainers and I know some crap trainers . . . you can usually tell which one is which within the first conversation.

How? SO I can spot them!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Because MFP already figures in a reasonable to high calorie deficit when you choose your weight loss goals. If you are shooting to lose 2lbs/wk, and you don't eat back exercise calories, your deficit becomes higher than well established safe limits. You can only lose so much fat in a day, so pushing the boundaries means your additional weight loss beyond a reasonable deficit is going to come from your muscle mass. Not a good choice.

NOT TRUE, you won't start using muscle until your below 6% body fat.
    That's absurd. Everyone on a deficit loses some muscle- the goal is to preserve it as much as possible. It's impossible to lose 100% fat. I think you're confusing losing muscle with starvation (not starvation mode, true starvation).
    Here's typical weight loss, per my exercise physiology textbook.
    percentweightloss.jpg
    Check this
    http://fitnessblackbook.com/main/starvation-mode-why-you-probably-never-need-to-worry-about-it/

Could you post a link to the actual study mentioned. From my reading of this, it is actually saying you will have muscle loss only (no fat loss) at 6% BF. It does not use a reliable BF measurement and does not indicate how much BF% v LBM was lost by the different BF% categories above the 6% category. In other words it does not negate the very well known and completely sound explanation noted in the post above that when people lose weigh they absolutely do lose LBM.
  • cynthiaj777
    cynthiaj777 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Then don't eat them back, then. I eat most of mine back, and I'm healthy and fit, under 20% body fat (female). My Fitness Pal already creates the weight-loss deficit for you, so if you're in the green, you're in the green.

Do what you want based on what you read here, but over time your body will learn to adjust to restriction and then you will never be able to eat again, ha ha.

Right. I eat 2000+ calories a day. I am 18.6% fat.....as a female. Do whatever YOU want.....:yawn:
  • Cherryblosm3
    Cherryblosm3 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    You look great...just curious - how tall are you?

Im 5'5, 187 lbs.
    Im supposed to be 140lbs MAX (according to my doctor)
    I'm 6ft and you weigh more than me? Sorry, but judging by your profile pic I call BS.

Ill post a pic of the scale just for you :)
  • Stac2004
    Stac2004 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Because MFP, unlike most calorie counting websites, doesn't include the exercise you SAY you'll do into your calorie goal. It doesn't matter if you say you're going to sit on your *kitten* 7 days a week, or run a marathon every day, MFP will give you the same base calories. Surely you understand that someone who exercises a lot needs more fuel than someone who doesn't?

When I just cut calories, when I believed that creating a large deficit was all it took to get the body I wanted, I lost weight, but too much of that weight was my lean body mass... my muscle. By "eating my exercise calories," I was able to maintain a moderate deficit, which allowed me to retain most of my lean mass and lose mostly body fat.

What that means in terms everyone can understand... The jeans on the bottom are the size 8 jeans I wore at 130 pounds about 5-6 years ago when I didn't eat enough, and the top pair is the size 5 jeans I'm wearing NOW, eating my exercise calories, at about 135-138 pounds. (Typically a 2 or 4 in misses.)

I love this! Thanks!!!!!

IMG_3265.jpg

Here's me at about 130 pounds 5-6 years ago, and me at 133 pounds in February.

five-years-later.jpg

Then I still had a muffin top, back fat rolls, double chin, and cellulite out the wazzo. Now?

IMG_4850.jpg

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/494091-i-just-don-t-care-anymore
  • ILoveTheBrowns
    ILoveTheBrowns Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    If you don`t want to follow MFP then why be here?

track food intake
  • thoeting
    thoeting Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    That's absurd. Everyone on a deficit loses some muscle- the goal is to preserve it as much as possible. It's impossible to lose 100% fat. I think you're confusing losing muscle with starvation (not starvation mode, true starvation).
    [/quote]

I will disagree with you. In front of me is my weight loss spreadsheet for the last year. In which, I lost 75.6 pounds of fat and gained 2.8 pounds of muscle.

Yes, people normally DO lose muscle, but that is because they don't work out and they don't fuel the machine properly. My diary is open, feel free to look. I eat back my exercise, and I lose weight.

All the proof I need.
  • thoeting
    thoeting Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    damn....just damn...
  • OkobojiMomma
    Options
    Im VERY new to this site, and weightloss... I dont understand all of what you guys are saying but now im concerned... I need to lose 44 more pounds.... I eat around 1200 calories a day but most days I burn about 1200 calories... :( but I never eat more tha 1200 calories... I dont want to starve my body... Should I really be eating more?